> Clean up Michigan City week
Southsider2k12
post Jun 6 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.nwime.com/2011/06/michigan-city...igan-city-week/

Michigan City, IN. 6-6-2011 –To kick off the Second Annual Michigan City in Bloom Beautification Contest, Mayor Charles Oberlie has declared June 19-June 25th, 2011 “Clean Up Michigan City” Week. All Michigan City citizens are asked to take an active role in this very important beautification effort.

The Michigan City in Bloom Committee is requesting each council ward to target problem areas and organize volunteers to clean them up! Of special interest, businesses located in heavily littered areas are asked to take a leadership role in making their business areas litter free.

Michigan City In Bloom is a project run by a committee of local volunteers dedicated to promoting beautification programs in all areas of Michigan City through education, plantings, sweat equity, and environmental awareness. Mayor Oberlie and the Michigan City in Bloom Committee extends an invitation to all city residents to make a special effort during the week of June 19-June 25th, 2011 to tidy up their own yards and neighborhoods

If possible, donated time would be greatly appreciated in volunteering to beautify some of the public areas that need attention. Let’s make Michigan City Shine!

For more information, please contact John Pugh, City Planner at 219-873-1419 ext. 324 at City Hall, or committee member Julie Manner by email at juliemanner@comcast.net
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jun 6 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

They should kick the week off with "Mow Your Damn Yard Day"

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 7 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 7 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jun 6 2011, 09:41 PM) *

They should kick the week off with "Mow Your Damn Yard Day"

I said this on the facebook page too, but I wonder how many foreclosures we are looking at around town? It seems way worse than normal this year, and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jun 7 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,048

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 7 2011, 09:44 AM) *

I said this on the facebook page too, but I wonder how many foreclosures we are looking at around town? It seems way worse than normal this year, and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I live out in the county, and I'm shocked at how many unkempt yards there are.. my first thought is of foreclosure, because surely no one would live with a lawn that out of control. But then I look, and sometimes there's a car there, or other signs of life. Out here, I would just think tall grass like that would say "hey snakes, come on in!". I just can't imagine living in these messes.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 7 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Could be more than just the foreclosures. Lack of (viable) employment and high gas prices just don't mix.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 8 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 7 2011, 10:05 PM) *

Could be more than just the foreclosures. Lack of (viable) employment and high gas prices just don't mix.

That wouldn't surprise me at all either. I hate electric mowers, but they sure look better and better with gas at $4 a gallon.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...ff167424274.txt

Community prepares for a city-wide beautification project

By Amanda Jacobson
Published: Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
Staff Writer

For the second year in a row, the community will be in full bloom as part of a city-wide beautification project.

The Michigan City In Bloom Beautification Contest is an annual event sponsored by the Michigan City Parks Department. It was developed by city planners after Michigan City residents successfully participated in a national, not-for-profit beautification project called America In Bloom in 2007, 2008 and 2009.

City Planner John Pugh said the Michigan City In Bloom contest was proposed as a hyperlocal version of the America In Bloom initiative.

“It is designed to beautify, instill pride and encourage everyone to not only plant, but also mow yards and vacant lots, pick up their debris and trash and just make the city look better,” Pugh said.

To kick off the start of the contest, Mayor Chuck Oberlie announced the week of June 19 to 25 as “Clean Up Michigan City Week”.

All residents, businesses and property owners are encouraged to clean up any litter in the area around their buildings throughout the week and mow any tall grasses.

Michigan City In Bloom Committee Member Julie Manner hopes the cleanup will spark greater interest in contest participation this year.

This year's event was expanded to include small businesses with fewer than 25 employees, large businesses with more than 25 employees, private residences, natural plantings and container gardens.

Points will be awarded based on each garden's tidiness, harmony, balance of display, floral display, landscape components, use of the city flower, the daylily, and use of the city rose, the nearly wild rose.

Applications for participation in the contest are available at multiple city locations including City Hall, the Michigan City Senior Center, and Members Advantage Credit Union. Any and all businesses, residents, and city parks are encouraged to apply for the event, Manner said.

Entries to the contest are due no later than June 27 to the Michigan City Parks Department office, located at the Michigan City Senior Center at 6 on the Lake.

Judging will take place July 5 to July 7, and contest awards will be given out July 8. Last year's competition received over 35 applications with local resident Don Foldenauer receiving first place for his garden at 2303 Manhattan St.

For more information and how to apply, contact the Michigan City Park Department at (219) 873-1506.

For more information

What: Michigan City In Bloom Beautification Contest

Applications due: June 27 to Michigan City Parks Department office at 6 on the Lake

Applications available at: City Hall, Michigan City Port Authority, Michigan City Public Library, LaPorte County Convention and Visitors Bureau, Michigan City Senior Center, The International Friendship Gardens, The Mainstreet Association at DH2W, Members Advantage Credit Union or online at www.michigancityparks.com.

Judging: July 5 to 7

Awards Ceremony: July 8
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:55 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com