Reply to this topicStart new topic
> La Porte County Superior Court 1 Judge, Bergerson to run
JHeath
post Dec 18 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

His website was listed as a comment following the article. Here is the link, in case you are interested:
http://www.bergy08.com/

http://www.heraldargus.com/main.asp?FromHo...;SubSectionID=4

12/17/2007 2:20:00 PM
Bergerson to run for Superior Court 1 judge

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City attorney Michael Bergerson has announced his candidacy for judge of La Porte County Superior Court 1.

"As deputy prosecuting attorney (for La Porte County), I've tried and won countless cases in Superior Court 1," Bergerson said in a press release. "Management of a private law practice and service on numerous boards and commissions will be tremendous assets to me in the effective administration of justice in this court. I will be ready for the job on day one."

Bergerson was a partner with the law firm of Kenefick, Gilmore, and Bergerson from 1978 to 1993, and has managed the law offices of Michael Bergerson and Associates since 1993.

He has spent 20 years prosecuting felons in La Porte County's superior and circuit courts and has worked in Superior Court 1 since 1999.

Since 1978, Bergerson has maintained a civil law practice focused on business law, personal injury, bankruptcy, wills and estates, property law, and domestic relations, among others.

According to the press release, former Superior Court 1 Judge Walter Chapala has endorsed Bergerson's candidacy.

"Judge Chapala's support is truly a great honor," Bergerson said. "I intend to follow the example set by Judge Chapala for providing easy access to the court, as well as the fairness and dedicated leadership he displayed in the courtroom and in our community."

If elected, Bergerson's priorities, according to the release, would be: to improve access to the courtroom by eliminating the trial calendar backlog; to focus on more effective administration and diversity in the judicial system; and to increase the efficiency of important court programs.

"I am concerned about the direction the court has taken in the past two years," he said.

"I'm running to restore the public's confidence in this court."

Bergerson, who lives in Michigan City with his wife Debbie, has been involved with the Redevelopment Commission of Michigan City, the La Porte County Convention And Visitors Bureau, and the Sanitary District of Michigan City.

He is a graduate of Notre Dame Catholic School and Marquette High School, and received his bachelor of arts from John Carroll University and his Juris Doctor from Northern Illinois University.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 18 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

The only problem is that Skip let too many people go too soon or too often. Didn't care for him. The public lost confidence, Lang has restored it--so what is Bergerson talking about?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 18 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Not much on the website yet...except for a CV (or resume') and a list of his campaign committee.
Check it out for more info.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 18 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I'm not sure how I feel about this. He did some work for me years ago and I thought he was okay, but then later when I needed legal help I went back to him and he acted as though he was too good for me (or I not good enough for him). So, I went to Tom Rutkowski who was more than willing to help and with very reasonable rates.
Bergerson left a bad impression with me the second time I went to see him, and I wasn't very impressed with the girls in his office. Very snobby and hoity-toity IMO. But, that was about 8 years ago and things/people change. Which is why I'm not sure how to feel about him running for Judge.
Did you guys know he's Shiela's ex?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 18 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

I knew that...she's also on the list of his campaign "steering" committee.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 19 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3

Interesting.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
alaj1992
post Dec 26 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 757

[font=Arial][size=7]Talk about being too easy on criminals.....isn't Judge Lang the Judge who "sentenced" a Michigan City Police Officer to 15 weekends in jail for molesting a student!!!

As a mother, she lost my vote!

+Quote Post
addy92
post Dec 26 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 758

I was very excited to see him run for Judge! He represented my husband and I many years back and he was wonderful. Very professional and friendly. My husband and I feel he would be a breath of fresh air as Judge. Good Luck Mike!

+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 26 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Educate me a bit...what do they try in Superior 1? I don't know much about Bergerson, other than his relationship to Sheila, and what I've seen on the website.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 26 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(JHeath @ Dec 26 2007, 02:02 PM) *

Educate me a bit...what do they try in Superior 1? I don't know much about Bergerson, other than his relationship to Sheila, and what I've seen on the website.

Superior 1's website.

Looks like Criminal, family court, and probate.

QUOTE(alaj1992 @ Dec 26 2007, 10:07 AM) *

As a mother, she lost my vote!

I wasn't aware that Judge Lang was running for mother. How exactly does one vote in that sort of election? rolleyes.gif

While one might be against Lang for decisions she made from the bench, I don't see any reasons yet to get excited over Bergerson. I've seen him at Redevelopment Commission meetings, can't recall anything he said there though.
I see from his website one of his clients is the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. for Northwest Indiana. Could I ask him why the heck I can't seem to find Coke products in any restaurant in this whole durn town? smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 26 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #11

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Pepsi has cornered the market.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Dec 29 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(addy92 @ Dec 26 2007, 10:38 AM) *

I was very excited to see him run for Judge! He represented my husband and I many years back and he was wonderful. Very professional and friendly. My husband and I feel he would be a breath of fresh air as Judge. Good Luck Mike!

I kind of like the fact this will get him out of city business. He represents to many conflicting sides. Redevelopment commission as well as attorney for many of the developers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:09 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com