IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City GOP may have candidate for mayor in fall election, http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/2007/05/02/news/decision_2007/5
JHeath
post May 2 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

This is in response to Ken Hanke's Anvil Chorus letter Monday [“Republicans should vote in Dem primary for LaRocco”]. For most Republicans this primary should be a day of rest. Voting in this primary may eliminate you from working at the polls in the future as a Republican. The Republican Party county chairman has made it clear she does not want Republicans taking a Democratic ballot as we did four years ago supporting Mayor Oberlie. With a three-person race the outcome will undoubtedly be a repeat. The only race will be in November.

After this primary there is a good chance the Republican Party will have a candidate for mayor. The issues will be there as they were 20 years ago with downtown development, lower property taxes for homeowners and not giving up on bringing in industrial jobs, rather than submitting to the idea all we can get is tourism jobs. Republicans have the answers to solve the city's woes and it is long overdue. A three-person race shows there is much disagreement as to the direction of this city.

If you recall, the Urban Renewal program was designed 20-plus years ago to develop the North End. It hasn't worked and was a failure. Part of the project 20 years later has been demolished and many want to demolish the remaining misguided locations of buildings of that program as well. There was a better plan at that time and that was to put boat docks along Trail Creek - a Republican idea that most see as a bold proposal today.

Most of the players are still there from that past. They will be the ones interested in making dollars off any future proposal of this administration. Let's get a candidate that will defeat the misguided proposals of the past. Elect a Republican mayor and move Michigan City forward and not pump huge dollars just into sewers. It's time the senior citizens as well as other home owners get relief. It's time to pump riverboat dollars back to all residents of this community. It's time for a mayor that will listen to the people, not just rich Democrats looking for a tax break for themselves.

If this doesn't happen, look forward to a stagnant future. We can only hope for retirement for our officeholders.

Jim Powers
Michigan City

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 2 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So now you guys are going to learn my dirty little secret.

I am a registered Republician.

Now its tough to be one in Michigan City, not to mention the loss of direction of the party at the national level. That being said, because there is only one party in MC, there are some things that sound very "non-Democratic" in some candidates platforms, because that ground is totally unclaimed locally.

I am curious if there is a wisper of who is thinking about running, and how that would affect the race.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 2 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Oh, well.

In local matters, the party affiliation means little vis-a-vis the national party.

Jim Powers is advocating something I hope does NOT come to pass, if I can make sense of his post. He mentions the slips in Trail Creek, and perhaps I am reading into it, but all who know my stand know that I am strongly in favor of keeping the creek and lakefront open and free to the public. That is the only way that bigger areas of MC will become developed and incidentally contribute to the public coffers via taxes. Unless they are all tax abated!
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post May 2 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(Max Main @ May 2 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Oh, well.
In local matters, the party affiliation means little vis-a-vis the national party.
Jim Powers is advocating something I hope does NOT come to pass, if I can make sense of his post. He mentions the slips in Trail Creek, and perhaps I am reading into it, but all who know my stand know that I am strongly in favor of keeping the creek and lakefront open and free to the public. That is the only way that bigger areas of MC will become developed and incidentally contribute to the public coffers via taxes. Unless they are all tax abated!

Regarding Powers threat, isn't it our right to vote for those individuals who we have decided have the best interests of the City at heart? --- Regardless of party affiliation?
We cannot forget that Mr. Powers WAS a Randy Miller era supporter - times have changed --
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post May 2 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(Max Main @ May 2 2007, 01:45 PM) *

Oh, well.

This guy (Powers) needs a history lesson........Urban renewal was started under Randy Miller in the 1960's - and was ever finished. For example it was the republican administration who converted Frankilin Street into a urban blight and closed Franklin Street with the library. Now, we hear that Powers is proposing an imaginary candidate to run in the general election.......can we expect the same progressive thinking from this imaginary candidate?

Thank goodness that most all republicans do not share the same view as Powers-------
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 3 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(mcvoter @ May 2 2007, 03:41 PM) *

Regarding Powers threat, isn't it our right to vote for those individuals who we have decided have the best interests of the City at heart? --- Regardless of party affiliation?
We cannot forget that Mr. Powers WAS a Randy Miller era supporter - times have changed --

If I voted based on party affilliation, I would be staying at home next Tuesday. I don't plan on staying home next Tuesday.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 3 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

Powers...does his word carry any weight around MC?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:44 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com