Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40601.98

Students have a ball or two

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Amidst flashing lights and thumping bass at the Michigan City High School Winter Ball on Saturday, senior Robert Russell said he felt there was something missing.

The freedom to dance however he wanted.

"I wish [the rule enforcement] was a little more laid back," said Russell, as a tune from R&B artist Usher began playing. "I think [school officials] are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

Russell and approximately 100 other Michigan City High School students showed up at Orak Temple on Saturday evening to dance in the school's annual Winter Ball. However, several students took notice of the seemingly stricter rules regarding school dance policy.

"The girls are in a state of fear," claimed Tony Kim, also a Michigan City High School senior. "It's obvious they don't want to dance, or they don't want to dance the way they're used to."

Lydia Jagger, associate principal at Michigan City High School, affirmed the school's efforts to cut down on what she called "inappropriate dancing."

"We're just not going to have a lot of inappropriate dancing," Jagger said, noting this year's Winter Ball turnout was only one-fifth of what school officials were expecting.

"It's because these parents are sponsoring other dances all over the city," she said of the turnout.

Michigan City High School Principal Mark Francesconi wasn't exactly sure why other parties besides the Winter Ball were organized, however, he was sure school officials weren't going to allow any kind of inappropriate dancing.

"It's almost like sex on the dance floor," Francesconi said. "It's foul."

A group of Michigan City High School juniors and seniors decided to hold a separate dance, the Snowball, at White Eagle Hall. Junior Brett Loetz said the school's seemingly strict enforcement of the rules is one of the reasons why the group decided to organize the dance.

"We didn't like the way the dance was being held," he said.

Junior Tom Haynes agreed with Loetz.

"We're not going to badmouth the school," he said, "But it's not what the kids want to do."

About 120 teens were expected to attend the Snowball dance.

Senior Danielle Polica, another organizer of the dance, said things worked out and that everyone seemed to be having fun.

"Everyone's really happy," she said.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 12 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50820.05

Snowball Dance not a wild party
I would like to set the record straight about the Snowball Dance at White Eagle Park. This dance was organized by students wanting to have fun. These are not bad kids, as they were made out to be by several, including school officials. They are just kids having fun, and this was an adult-supervised event. There was also a police officer on duty, and, guess what, nothing happened.

This dance was portrayed by some as a wild party; that was not the case. The students that came were honor roll, sports orientated and those who just wanted to participate in something where they didn't feel pressured by adults on their dance techniques. I am really offended that [Michigan City High School Principal] Mark Francesconi would think otherwise. The comment made about "sex on the dance floor" was very inappropriate, since he was not even at our event. These kids worked hard and should be commended for having the initiative to do something this huge on their own in such a short time. The dance was a huge success and I thank everyone for their support. My apologies to those who were bothered by numerous phone calls from a parent who felt this was wrong.

Proud parent,

Debra Loetz

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 12 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #3

Give respect; it's returned
You teach by example and you get back the respect you give - pretty basic guidelines for life and school officials to follow. Instead, the school "assumed" before the Winter Ball that their students would not behave and certainly didn't know how to dance! They were prejudged and insulted.

Rather than complain about this treatment, two young men (Brett and Tom) along with their dates stepped up to the plate to prove them wrong. The odds were at first against them, but they did it!

Quote from the Winter Ball, "We're almost afraid to dance." Quote from the Snow Ball, "Everyone's having fun, we're all happy!" Case closed.

I'm a grandmother who watched this unfold with amazement and pride at their determination to plan a wonderful dance. Thank you Debra Loetz for believing in your son and his friends; you gave them respect and you got it back!

Connie Runnels

Michigan City

Respect your body and have a good time
As a recent graduate of Michigan City High School and past sports editor for Alpha, the Michigan City High School yearbook, I can't help but be concerned about the current students' state of mind. This past weekend MCHS's annual Winter Ball took place at Orak Temple with approximately 117 students attending. The same night at White Eagle Park in Trail Creek a group of parents held a "Snow Ball" for high school students to attend in place of the high school Winter Ball with attendance reaching approximately 120.

Not only was this a huge slap in the face to the high school, but was also an extreme hit to the school's publication staff. The MCHS newspaper, Cityzen, and yearbook staff, Alpha, count on the Winter Ball's profit to cover publication expenses. These expenses include free monthly newspapers to every student and help decrease the already expensive cost of the high school's high quality yearbooks.

Throughout my high school career the dance rules and guidelines have always been the same. The responsibility of obeying the rules lay not in the hands of the school, but with the child. If parents have an issue with the way their kids and their peers dance they should take it up with their children, not the school.

If you blame the economy for the low number of tickets sold for the Winter Ball, then I suggest borrowing a dress or even recycling one from a previous dance and save the $30 to purchase a ticket by not buying those pair of $100 shoes or that $200 PlayStation.

I may not have been the "coolest kid" at the dance, but I wore a $25 dress to my Senior Prom and had respect for my body, my peers and myself. Not surprisingly, I always came out of high school dances having a good time while also supporting my school - imagine that.

Katherine Stoll

Proud MCHS '08 Graduate

Freshman, Indiana University

Alternative dance opens can of worms
In response to "Students have a ball or two," by Joe Malan, Sunday, all I can say is how dare they, in regard to the student dance held in place of the Winter Ball. To the students who are upset with the strict dancing rules, just be glad you are at a school that gives you the privilege of attending a dance.

Being an alumna of the yearbook and a 2007 graduate, I know the Winter Ball has been a fundraiser for the Alpha (yearbook) and The Cityzen (newspaper) for more than 10 years now. Sponsors/businesses donate items to give as prizes at the ball, and most donations ultimately lead to future funding and ads, in both publications.

Are you willing to lose these privileges too? Where has the funding from this alternative dance gone? Is it fair that these school publications were deprived of their funding? As for future dances, what will happen? Consider prom. Are you not going to attend because of "overly strict dancing rules?" Will you hold your own prom? Who will police the list as to who may or may not attend?

Think about those who are in high school that have a relationship with someone in college, or from a lower grade level. What can of worms will this open? What about age restrictions and dancing rules? Does it become one parent's opinion over another as to what is appropriate? Who will be held responsible if something happens? To whom would a parent complain? How dare these students and parents undo a privilege.

I would hope the school does not cover this injustice in the yearbook.

Trisha Laughlin

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Feb 12 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 793

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 12 2009, 01:05 PM) *

I would like to give some input to CBTL about "inappropriate dancing" at MCHS. Personally, I'm a liberal, and I've sponsored and chaperoned MANY dances at the high school. Recently, the dancing has become very risque', and even the "liberal" blushes. Understand, not all of the kids dance inappropriately; but enough to make it necessary to add some rules, IMO. Also understand that it is not the "bad" kids that are dancing inappropriately. It is also good, solid, honor roll, sports type kids, (your kids), that are also dancing inappropriately.
Here's how it works: the kids form a circle and dance in a tight group. There will be several circles around the dance floor. One girl at a time will jump into the middle of the circle and lie down on her back. She is "dancing", moving on her back. Different guys will hold themselves above her with their arms and legs, and they will lower themselves down to touching or almost touching the girl. It looks like your watching a teen-age sex act, in public, with very skimpy clothes on. If an adult comes near, the circle protects the dance. It is very, very inappropriate for a high school dance (or any dance for that matter).
The other dance that I'm sure the high school is cracking down on is this: a couple is dancing on the floor (no hiding this one), and the guy and girl will be front to front, or front to back. Their bodies are so close there is no space between them. They move as one person, and they move as though they are having sex, and their hands are all over each other.
I wonder what Connie Runnels, Debra Loetz, and those other parents would say if they saw the dancing that I've seen. And what teen is going to dance like that when their mom, or mom's friend is chaperoning?
Last point: Many students recognize this dancing as inappropriate and would never participate. Some succumb to peer pressure and participate in some manner. Some do not believe they are inappropriate. Since parents usually don't see this, I believe that it is the school's responsibility to set the standard for the kids. That's another way they learn game.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 13 2009, 07:28 AM
Post #5

One of the student letters mentioned it, but the biggest losers in all of this are the yearbook and school newspaper. This dance is always a huge part of their budget, and it is a big help in keeping the cost of a yearbook down for the students who buy them. These kids are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot in the end, all because they are trying to prove a point that isn't going to matter to anyone but the kids in the end.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Feb 13 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 13 2009, 07:28 AM) *

One of the student letters mentioned it, but the biggest losers in all of this are the yearbook and school newspaper. This dance is always a huge part of their budget, and it is a big help in keeping the cost of a yearbook down for the students who buy them. These kids are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot in the end, all because they are trying to prove a point that isn't going to matter to anyone but the kids in the end.

I agree completely. The newspaper puts out many more papers than most high schools; which is a win-win for the students and the staff. The year book is one of the best in the state, another win-win. They may have to look at compromising quality and quantity.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 13 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=20993

Parents give in to kids' whining
Cinderella and Prince Charming danced the night away. The king and queen did not fear the thought of any "provocative" dancing in their kingdom. Fast forward from Disney animation to real life. Parents, do you not see the "wake up" call that the school administration is trying to address regarding the dance functions?

Unfortunately, a few ruin it for the rest of the student body. There had to be some kind of past inappropriate dancing at other functions to warrant Principal Francesconi's statement, "It's almost like sex on the dance floor" and It's foul."

My question is why some parents gave in to the whining of their son or daughter about the school rules and organized another dance on the same night. Surely your elite group had rules like "no drinking, no smoking, no provocativeness." Sounds like the same type of rules the school would have had for the Winter Ball. What about the age of those attending the function - how much younger or older were they allowed to be?

Basically, it domes down to "undermining the authority" of the school administration and teachers, not to mention putting a damper on school spirit. Your energies could have been better spent helping chaperone the Winter Ball.

What are you going to do when your precious little ones go off to college and have a 7:30 a.m. class with term paper due - call their professor for an extension? Or the boss tells your son or daughter they are now on the night shift. Oh, won't that be a cramp in their night life. What will you tell them then - heck with the rules?

Will there be two proms now or two different graduations? When the 10-year reunion comes along, how about two of them, too. Hopefully the issues can be resolved so that the kids can enjoy their high school years before they go out into the "cold cruel world."

Life is so much simpler when it's done in animation!

Antoinette M. Yackus

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 14 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

"I wish [the rule enforcement] was a little more laid back," said Russell, as a tune from R&B artist Usher began playing. "I think [school officials] are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

Who writes this stuff? Was this horrible English actually in the Dispatch? If so, unbelievable.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 14 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Tim @ Feb 14 2009, 01:38 AM) *

Who writes this stuff? Was this horrible English actually in the Dispatch? If so, unbelievable.

It is a quote... they are supposed to protect the words of the speaker, no matter how bad they are...
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 14 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 14 2009, 08:51 AM) *

It is a quote... they are supposed to protect the words of the speaker, no matter how bad they are...

Okay - but what's with the words in the brackets?
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 14 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Tim @ Feb 14 2009, 07:17 PM) *

Okay - but what's with the words in the brackets?

The original quote was probably something like this:

"I wish it was a little more laid back," said Russell, as a tune from R&B artist Usher began playing. "I think they are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

and they changed it to:

so it would make more sense to the reader.

Not that I agree with what the writer/editor did, but that's probably the explanation. If I use quotation marks, and I'm not making stuff up for comedic value, I go word for word, so personally I would have done the quote like this:

When asked about the rule enforcement, Russell said, "I wish it was a little more laid back. I think they are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 14 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 14 2009, 09:18 PM) *

The original quote was probably something like this:

"I wish it was a little more laid back," said Russell, as a tune from R&B artist Usher began playing. "I think they are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

and they changed it to:

so it would make more sense to the reader.

Not that I agree with what the writer/editor did, but that's probably the explanation. If I use quotation marks, and I'm not making stuff up for comedic value, I go word for word, so personally I would have done the quote like this:

When asked about the rule enforcement, Russell said, "I wish it was a little more laid back. I think they are just trying to take fun away from the dance."

Point taken. Had the writer included "it" and "they" it would have made more sense as a quote, IMHO.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 15 2009, 01:58 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I agree, assuming the newswriter replaced "it" and "they" -- the speaker may also have used some unflattering terms.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=51331.49

Strict rules followed at alternate dance
I thank the Loetzes, the Marks, Beth Piotrowski and Terri Kintzele for helping make Snow Ball a night to remember. And thanks to the students of Michigan City High School, Marquette Catholic High School, Duneland Lutheran High School, New Buffalo High School and La Porte High School who attended the Snow Ball on Saturday at White Eagle Park to dance the night away and make memories.

More than seven parents were there from 7 p.m. until 12:30 a.m. to watch us students. A cop was there from the La Porte County Sheriff's Department. He said he would work 10 of these functions before he worked a wedding for adults. We made rules, they were strict and everyone followed them, no questions asked. Students were not allowed to go outside to their cars at any time during the night. We still danced the night away, but keeping it clean.

When students left, we made them sign their name and put what time they left. While students were leaving, they told the parents how much fun this was.

Parents were even coming in and telling our parents how "neat and exciting" this is. And teachers from the school system popped in to say hello.

Many students who came to the Snow Ball are on the honor roll, in good standing with all schools or an athlete.

This is NOT the 1960s where everyone danced "prim and proper." This is 2009. This is the way we dance, just like how everyone danced the way they wanted to dance back when.

Teachers, put the shoe on the other foot. You are 15 to 18 years old and the school is telling you how to dance? You wouldn't like it, now would you? I would love for these teachers to attend dances around the state and see how students dance. They want us to have fun; how can we when we aren't comfortable?

Look at the numbers. Approximately 2,015 students attend MCHS; 107 students attended the Winter Ball, 120 students attended the Snow Ball. Add that together, you get 227 students. Where is the rest of the 1,788 students? Why didn't they attend?

I am a senior at Michigan City High School, an honor roll student and in good standing with the school. What my friends did, I thought, was truly amazing. In a week, we raised enough money (by students) to rent White Eagle Park, hire a DJ and buy decorations and food/drinks. No parents put down money or anything. It was by the students at the schools in the area.

Jennifer Piotrowski

Class of 2009

Michigan City

High School

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #15

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=51331.49

All students punished for acts of few
As a senior athlete and honor roll student at Michigan City High School, I feel as if I'm speaking for my class when I say that school has become a tasteless chore instead of a fun learning experience. Some of the new rules are ridiculous and do not benefit our education.

Restrictions on school events have made student attendance and morale hit an all-time low. One of the now strictly regulated events is basketball games. The number of students participating in the Den Delirium cheer section had a sharp decrease, due to a set of rules and guidelines.

Only a few students would get out of hand each game and were not punished individually, but instead the whole student section was. Another school event that has been dramatically changed was the Winter Ball. This is because on the night of the Sadie Hawkins dance a few students got out of hand while the rest carried about their business like we do at every dance before. These students were not punished accordingly, instead the whole school was.

If the school intends on keeping this old fashioned set of rules for prom, they can expect students to have their own dance again.

At the A.K. Smith Career Center in Michigan City, a new set of rules has revoked all driving privileges from students due to the actions of previous students. What they fail to see is that poor attendance, grades, and respect for people who live in the area is from the same people time after time.

I'm positive that if they would just take a closer look at students and raise the standards on receiving a parking permit, there wouldn't be a big problem. Some students find it very inconvenient now that they can't drive because they have jobs in town or may live in town, but they can't go to them because they have to go all the way back to the high school and be dismissed.

The whole school and career center shouldn't be punished for the actions of few, in most cases the same students. They have taken away our right to cheer our athletes, show our expressions in dance, and privilege to drive. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil the whole barrel.

Adam Palmer

Michigan City

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2009, 01:21 PM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=21041

Why did a dance tear school apart?
Now that the dances are over, it's time for school officials to ask themselves, why did this happen? Why, out of approximately 1,800 students, only a little more than 200 attended a dance at all? What went wrong? I think the responses from students and officials in the article Feb. 8 says a lot. This is the first year that I have heard any negative comments about the Sadies Dance and Winter Ball.

The past two years were positive and the students had a great time. Now the big question is how do we fix it? To me the answer is very obvious; it is within the student body. Michigan City High School has a student government, clubs, sports, organizations and committees in which these young adults are involved. These young adults who attend MCHS do have ideas, opinions and do have a voice. Why don't officials and organizers of school events allow them to take some ownership of THEIR events? Have the class leaders presented their ideas to school officials and TOGETHER compromised? I think that the school officials would be pleasantly surprised with their ideas.

Snow Ball started with two students (not any parent) and with the encouragement from their classmates, and help from a few close friends, they all pitched in and put together a successful event that was supervised and, yes, had their guidelines to be followed to be part of this dance.

At this point, the adults listened and chaperoned. With very little guidance and no financial help from parents, these young adults were able to put this together in less than two weeks. I know I was very impressed with what they accomplished. The students who attended were respectful, had a good time, and left with smiles on their faces.

Prom is coming up real soon. There are alot of great students and officials at the high school; if they work together they will see a successful prom and future events that all will be excited to attend.

Another proud parent,

Jody Polita

Michigan City

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #17

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47580.02

Snow Ball taught rebellion
This is regarding the Snow Ball dance that was held by parents and students of the high school. As I read about all of this in the paper, this is what comes to mind: The high school leadership made rules for the kids to abide by at the Winter Ball. Some parents decided to teach the kids that it's OK to rebel against the leadership's decisions by assisting in planning a new dance. When your children rebel against other forms of leadership in their lives, just be aware that you taught them this behavior.

Angie Klonaski

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=21091

Separate dance shows disrespect
As a student at Michigan City High School, I am rather embarrassed of the situation involving the Winter Ball and Snowball. It surprises me that some people actually think they were doing the right thing by organizing a dance that went against an annual school function. Do you have no respect for your school? Where is your pride? This past Saturday, I attended the Winter Ball, and I will tell you first-hand that I had a wonderful time. Never once was I "afraid to dance," nor was anyone else there. It was a great night and it is sad that many people decided not to take part in it.

To all those commending the students for protesting a school event, shame on you. You really don't understand how much this affects the MCHS publications (Alpha Yearbook and Cityzen Newspaper). The Winter Ball is the main fundraiser for these publications, which directly benefit the students, and now they are in debt. If you really wanted to "teach the students respect" you should have had them give the profits from Snowball back to the school.

I hope this is the end of these "segregated" dances. Prom is coming up and I would hate to see this mess happen again. Next time you think about holding a private dance, please consider the effects it has on the student body as a whole.

Julianna Rivich

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 18 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #19

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=21110

Counter-dance was mean-spirited defiance
It's sad to see parents supporting such a defiant and mean-spirited rebellion against Michigan City High School's Winter Ball. If those students had chosen not to go to Winter Ball and to have their own dance another night, that would have been one thing, but to organize it on the same night was an act of mean-spirited defiance.

The "proud parent," Debra Loetz ["Snowball Dance not a wild party," Feb. 10], her relatives and the other parents who supported and encouraged this have actually done a disservice to their children and the community. They have taught their children disrespect and defiance for rules that are totally reasonable for high school students.

Debra Loetz, you also misrepresented Principal Mark Francesconi's remarks. He was not referring to your event when he was quoted by The News-Dispatch as saying "It's almost like sex on the dance floor. It's foul." He is absolutely right. High school students have no business bumping and grinding against each other at a school dance.

School officials are not trying to take fun away from the dance. There is a level of appropriate and respectable behavior that they are trying to maintain at a dance for children 14 to 19. If they didn't I would be in the group of parents complaining. It is parents' responsibility to teach those things to their children and the school's job to enforce it.

Amanda Carlisle

Michigan City
+Quote Post
southyards
post Feb 18 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

Here’s an out-take from the MCHS Handbook that spells out, in part, what is unacceptable behavior while on school property. Can the ‘dancing’ in question be called an inappropriate Public Display of Affection and/or Obscene? Whatever or whichever it is, it doesn’t seem to be in good taste. . . . . . .

Michigan City High School Student Planner &Student/Parent Handbook2008/2009 School Year

Michigan City Area Schools Code of Responsible Behavior

Public Displays of Affection are not appropriate for the school environment. Students should not, under any circumstances while on school grounds or at school functions, show affection to one another in a manner that is immodest and/or draws undue attention to themselves. The faculty and administration feel that such behavior is inappropriate and creates a poor image of our student body. School is an inappropriate environment for affectionate gestures other than the holding of hands. If the administration or faculty feels the situation warrants, students who persist in such conduct will be disciplined

Obscenity includes those items or behaviors that an average person, when viewing the material or behavior as a whole and applying community standards for children of a relevant age, would find depicts or describes conduct in an offensive way, appeals to prurient interests, and lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. Behaviors considered obscene are prohibited.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:47 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com