> MCFD now responsible for lake safety
Southsider2k12
post Jun 30 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

https://wsbt.com/news/local/michigan-city-f...or-beach-safety

So far this year there have been nearly four dozen drownings on the Great Lakes. 19 of them on Lake Michigan.

From their perch at the entrance to the beach, lifeguards span the lake Michigan shoreline, keeping an eye out for trouble. It's something they’re trained to do. That training will now be done through the Michigan City Fire Department.

"I like putting my feet in the water and like playing in the sand!" said Jazmine Jennings.

The Jennings family make the nearly one-hour drive from South Bend to Michigan City frequently to visit the beach. They’re just some of the large number of visitors every year to Washington Park Beach... One of the biggest summertime draws to the area.

"Our goal is to be a swimmer safe beach. 100%," said Michigan City Mayor Duane Parry ®.

Over the last few years, Washington Park Beach has gone from low numbers of Lifeguards to being fully staffed. One reason for not having enough in the past was unavailable training options during the pandemic.

Beginning this year, the hiring and training of these lifeguards will now be the responsibility of the Michigan City fire department.

"I refer to the police as public safety and the firefighters as life safety. So, we reassigned the waterfront safety to the firefighters. The lifeguards are under their umbrella now," said Parry.

The role of a lifeguard is critical, and a nationwide shortage of lifeguards makes swimming more dangerous.

Here in Michigan City, they want to put themselves ahead of the curve, enhancing safety for all beachgoers. The Michigan City Fire Department has a certified lifeguard trainer on staff who will be conducting the training.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:30 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com