Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laporte Co Fair info, The oldest in Indiana
Southsider2k12
post Jul 23 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I think I will up there both Wednesday and Thursday.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49037.55

The Newest Edition Of The Oldest Fair Begins
The size and scope have changed over the years, but the mission still remains the same.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE -The LaPorte County Fair, which markets itself as Indiana's oldest, is being held for the 162nd time this week.

The LaPorte County Fair also is one of the state's largest and the only one in the state with a regulation draft horse arena, fair manager Dick Rutz said.

The size and scope of the fair have changed over the years, he said, but the mission as an agricultural fair is the same. Visitors can still find 4-H'ers grooming their animals before entering the show ring, and prize-winning pies, cakes and cookies are on display.

Rutz' history with the fair began when he was a 9-year- old 4-H member who showed dairy cattle and submitted small projects in woodworking and forestry. That was at the old fairgrounds, now the site of LaPorte High School.

"Kids now have so many more choices in 4-H," Rutz said. "Now there's a horseless horse program where two 4-H'ers can pair up, one with a horse and the other

without one."

He said he's noticed the number of youngsters who show animals has decreased in recent years, partly because of the cost and also because of the declining number of farmers. Rutz has worked in the fair administrative office for 10 years.

"The fair keeps increasing in size and the population is growing," Rutz said. "The biggest change is there were a lot of tents at the old fairgrounds. We have a lot - a lot - more buildings."

As the long-time home of Allis-Chalmers' harvesting equipment manufacturing, the LaPorte area has a plentiful supply of antique tractors, Rutz said. About 100 antique tractors will be on display at the fair this year.

"You'd have to look long and hard to find a fair with as many antique tractors as we have," Rutz said.

The LaPorte County Fair had its origins at a May 1836 meeting in the LaPorte County Courthouse when the City of LaPorte was only a few years old. A group of residents met to talk about forming the LaPorte County Agricultural Society.

The following year, Indiana's first county fair was held, with exhibits promoting the advancement of agriculture and business.

Fairs were held sporadically from 1837 until 1845, when it became an established annual event held in various parts of town. LaPorte County's fair soon became a model for others in the United States.

The fair didn't always pay for itself, but it continued to be held, even during the Civil War when other fairs weren't. The 1864 fair proceeds were donated to the Ladies' Soldiers' Aid Society.

Although fair records from 1882 through 1907 were destroyed in a fire, following are some highlights from subsequent years:

• 1910,two sections were added to the grandstand and a judge's stand was erected.

• 1911, the fairgrounds were leased to a baseball team, with 20 percent of the gate going to the fair

association; profanity

was prohibited.

• 1912, the night admission price was raised from 10 cents to 15 cents and the Floral Hall was expanded.

• 1917, a new administration building and two new barns were added.

• 1919, the admission price was 50 cents.

• 1927, a horse barn was added

• 1931, during the Great Depression, children were admitted for free.

This article was written from reports by former News-Dispatch editor Elwin Greening, Anne Daley and Fern Eddy Schultz.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 23 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49037.55

4-H'ers Settle In With Animals, Vendors
LaPorte County Fair to start with a preview today.

Amanda Haverstick
The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - The night before the start of the LaPorte County Fair had little activity on the midway aside from vendors setting up their food stands.

4-Hers with rabbits, sheep and poultry had just started settling their animals into the livestock buildings. It is a big week is on the horizon for 4-Hers and county residents planning to visit the LaPorte County Fair.

Mini 4-H participants, Saturday, were also busy showing their animals in the pet parade.

Aubrey Gierke, 6, LaPorte, was getting ready to show Toby, her cavalier King Charles Spaniel. In addition to the pet parade, Aubrey will also be showing her other animals in peewee rabbit, peewee chicken and peewee pig divisions.

Marti Gierke, Aubrey's mom, said they spent a couple months getting the animals prepared for the fair. The Gierkes will also be looking forward to eating elephant ears and other fair food.

"(I want to get a) frozen banana covered in chocolate," Aubrey said of what she was looking forward to during fair week.

Mini 4-Her Clay Battleday, 7, Wanatah, was getting his chocolate lab, Harley, ready for the pet parade. Clay said his favorite parts of the fair are the rides and seeing the animals.

Clay's mom, Becky Battleday, said she had been a 4-H member when she was a child and met her husband at the fair.

"We both showed horses for 10 years," Becky Battleday said. "(I've made) friends for life."

Judy and Jennifer Keller, LaPorte, usually spend the whole week out at the fair, enjoying the food, entertainment and visiting the political tents.

"We come for the rabbit noodles on Tuesday," Jennifer Keller said.

In addition to animals, food, rides and games, the fair will host an antique tractor pull Sunday.

Demolition Derby events will be held Sunday through Tuesday at the grandstand. Admission is $15 for box/patio seats and $12 for grandstand seats.

On Wednesday, NASCAR Nextel Cup Series racer Tony Raines will sign autographs from 6 to 8 p.m. at the grandstand. Raines is a LaPorte native.

Blair Carman and The Belleview Boys will perform free at 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the grandstand.

Platinum selling country singer Darryl Worley will perform at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the grandstand. Tickets are $25 for box/patio seats and $20 for the grandstand.

On Saturday, JLO Supercross Series will conduct a supercross motorcycle racing show at 7 p.m. in the grandstand.

Admission is $15 for box/patio seats and $12 for grandstand seats.

Tickets for grandstand events are available only at the fairgrounds office from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 23 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

Figure 8 demolition derby, here I come.... (this is what happens when you raise a generation on such fine TV programming as Chips and the Dukes of Hazzard).

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 24 2007, 05:34 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jul 23 2007, 09:34 PM) *

Figure 8 demolition derby, here I come.... (this is what happens when you raise a generation on such fine TV programming as Chips and the Dukes of Hazzard).

It could be worse, we could have been brought up on the movie remakes of those series like today's kids ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 24 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jul 23 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Ooooooo!!! I LOVE the smash-em-up derby!! It's my favorite thing. And my all time favorite car chase is guy is Steve McQueen!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 24 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46645.73

The demolition derby was held Monday evening at the LaPorte County Fair. Shown are two cars competing in the first heat. Elizabeth Hogge/ The News-Dispatch

Today At The LaPorte County Fair
5 to 11 p.m. - Rides, pay one price, $20.

6 p.m. - The Jug Band, free, at the Entertainment Tent in Pioneerland.

7 p.m. - Figure 8 Derby. $12 for grandstand seats; $15 for box seats.

8 p.m. - Dr. Groovy & the Soul Surgeons, free, at the Entertainment Tent in Pioneerland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Event That Would Make The Geico Gecko Weep
Demolition Derby drivers say it is all about the rush of adrenaline.
LaPORTE - Dirt, smoke and the crunching metal have been a staple for visitors to the LaPorte County Fair's demolition derby, but for drivers, the real excitement is behind the wheel.

Bill Gleba of South Bend said he likes the adrenaline rush he gets. Sunday night was the first he had been back to the track after a four-year absence. Prior to that he participated eight years in a row.

"(I like) the thrill of it all," Gleba said. "I've always wanted to do it. Ever since I was a kid and watched it, I've wanted to do it."

Gleba ran a 1979 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, a project

he had been working on for a week prior to the fair. "I stripped it completely down, put a cage in it, put a fuel tank in it and beefed up the tires," Gleba said.

During Sunday's run Gleba locked up the motor. "That's all that's wrong with it. Otherwise it would still be out there," Gleba said. "This car will be back."

Gleba said he has made friends at the dem-

olition derby.

"You can come out here and have fun and everybody helps each other out,"

he said.

Those friendships, though, are not on the track. At one point Sunday, one contestant drove over the hood of another driver with the result being a smashed hood and another car resting on

its side.

Drivers are required to wear safety belts, helmets, and goggles. All glass must be removed from the car and deliberate head-on collisions or hitting a driver's door is against the rules.

Ryan DeBaille of South Bend said that halfway through Sunday night's run, he though he had done well.

"I made it to the feature," DeBaillie said. DeBaillie is in his fourth year at the LaPorte County Fair's demolition derby.

"I'm trying to come back and take a win," DeBaillie said, adding he drives in as many derbies as he can. "I'm always working. It's an ongoing thing. With all the work these things come with, it kind of keeps you in shape as far as the heavy work and moving all the time."

DeBaillie described the car he used Sunday as one that's been in the junk pile. "I had to put a motor in it and get it running and moving. That's pretty much it," DeBaillie said. "I've been racing other places, so it's kind of tough to keep up on the sport. Doing a fresh car every time is a lot

of work."

DeBaillie said he normally participates in 15 to 20 each year. "(It's) a big rush and a lot of fun," DeBaille said, adding that of the demolition derbies he's been in, LaPorte County's event is a good one.

"There's always a good car count, good people, nice trophies, good fans," DeBaillie said.

"There's other bigger demos out there, but as far as what it is, it's really good. It's what keeps me coming back."

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 24 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 24 2007, 11:43 AM) *

Ooooooo!!! I LOVE the smash-em-up derby!! It's my favorite thing. And my all time favorite car chase is guy is Steve McQueen!!

Ah, yes. Bullitt. My dad made me sit down and watch that movie when I was a younger man. By far the best chase scene ever.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 24 2007, 11:09 AM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48128.84

County Fair
LaPorte Has Oldest County Fair In State

Editorial

It's 4-H Fair week in LaPorte County. Indiana's oldest county fair began Sunday and continues all this week. It's a local tradition that shouldn't be missed.

The roots of the LaPorte County Fair go back to 1836 when a group of residents met at the courthouse to form the LaPorte County Agricultural Society to promote the advancement of agriculture and business in the county.

The first fair was held in 1837 and fairs were held sporadically until 1845 when the county fair became an annual event. It was held in various parts of LaPorte, ultimately settling into a site that is now the home of LaPorte High School. The fair was held there until 1961 when it was moved to the site of the current LaPorte County fairgrounds at the southwest edge of LaPorte.

Fair Manager Dick Rutz has been coming to the fair since he was 9 years old. "The fair keeps increasing in size, and the population is growing. The biggest change is there were a lot of tents at the old fairgrounds. We have a lot - a lot - more buildings," he said.

While the fair is designed to appeal to everyone in the county, at its root, its purpose is to celebrate the agricultural heritage of the county. That includes the county's history as a farm equipment manufacturer.

Allis-Chalmers, which before that was the Rumely tractor factory, was a fixture in downtown LaPorte making tractors for decades. Although the factory is now gone, the impact Allis-Chalmers had in LaPorte - and the nation - cannot be overlooked.

"You'd have to look long and hard to find a fair with as many antique tractors as we have," said Rutz.

During the early days of the LaPorte County Fair, it served as a model for other counties to develop their own fairs.

There may be larger county fairs in Indiana, but none of them has the rich tradition of the LaPorte County Fair. The fair is good, old-fashioned family fun. There's no better way to spend an evening that taking in the sights and sounds of the LaPorte County Fair.

Don't miss the fair. It runs through Saturday.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 26 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=2512

Greasy Treats Always Please

Amanda Haverstick
The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - The fragrant mixture of grease and smoke that fills the LaPorte County Fair's midway can mean only one thing - fair food.

Fair goers often wait a year to sink their teeth into a decadent and deep fried dessert.

"I think you come back for all the food," said 4-Her Andrew Popp. "... once you get a craving for it, you come back."

Popp, 16, Westville, said he enjoys the sirloin tips and more substantial meals.

"The sirloin tips out there, those are good any time, and the biscuits and gravy at the 4-H stand for breakfast - it's nice and big," Popp said. "At Pioneerland they have food too, with dinners. They're nice and big."

Popp, who has chickens at the fair, tries to pick out meals that give him energy for the whole day.

"We have to come back twice a day to redo the chickens," Popp said, adding that sometimes he spends a whole day at the fair.

Door Village United Methodist Church, Salem Chapel United Methodist Church and Rolling Prairie United Methodist Church each have their own "restaurants" that offer sizable meals for a reasonable price. Salem Chapel, for example, offers a breakfast of two eggs, two pancakes and two sausages for $3.50.

Kelly Deutscher, 17, Michigan City, said she would recommend the beef and noodle dinner.

"I usually get cheese fries," Deutscher added. "We always get the same thing."

4-Her Sandra Seymour, who is busy with about 15 projects and 4-H Clowns, said she usually eats at the cheerleader stand and the rabbit barn because they have good food at the best value.

Seymour, 16, LaPorte, said most of the meat served at the rabbit stand is - rabbit. 4-Hers, she said, donate rabbits to be butchered for the stand.

"In the mornings they've got rabbit crepes," Seymour said. "We're one of the only rabbit projects in the whole country to have a rabbit food stand that we make money off of along with our 4-H project. We went to a national rabbit convention a few years ago and had a stand there. A lot of professional rabbit people were very impressed."

Elephant ears and funnel cakes have always been a popular fair treat. Popp said elephant ears are probably the most unhealthy fair food he has eaten. "They're greasy and full of sugar," Popp said.

In recent years deep-fried Twinkies, HoHos, Reese's Cups and Oreo cookies have created an extra greasy category. Seymour prefers the deep fried Oreos.

"They're really good. They're really sweet," Seymour said. "They're basically Oreos with some batter on them they fry and then put powdered sugar on top."

Another treat Seymour likes is the Wisconsin cheese mozzarella sticks.

"I get them every year - at least once," Seymour said.

There are options for fair goers wanting to munch on a treat with more nutritional value. Both Burek Farms and Garwood's Grill offers sweet corn - just watch the butter. Garwood's Grill also offers fresh fruit. Another healthy option is a cup of milk from the Farm Bureau Milk Cabin. Popcorn is also a healthier snack. This year it's available in kettle corn, cheese and dill flavors.

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.co
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 26 2007, 07:32 AM
Post #10

http://www.fox28.com/Sports/index.php?ID=22283

Tony Raines Enjoying NASCAR Ride

Tony Raines grew up in LaPorte.

He was a pretty good baseball player, but when he took his dad's hot rod out and squealed the tires in front of Coach Ken Schreiber's house, it pretty much took care of his baseball career.

It didn't bother him or stop him from pursuing his dream.

He loved racing then and he'll appreciate running in the Nextel Cup this Sunday in Indianapolis.

Wednesday he was back home signing autographs at the LaPorte County Fair.

The local tracks are where Tony cut his teeth. If there was a green flag he was likely qualifying and one of the favorites to win the feature.

Racing now is huge business.

His owners at Hall of Fame Racing are Football Greats Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman.

He's made over $2 million for his team this year. He has DLP HDTV as a huge sponsor.

A far cry from where he once was.

In 2005 he only had 6 starts.

Last year in 29 races he finished 35th in points.

This year he's had 18 starts and he currently sits in 32nd in points with no top 10's.

He has a contract for next year and the team is trying to add a 2nd car.

But you never know what is going to happen from season to season.

Updated: July 25, 2007, 11:26 pm

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 26 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3

What is with Haverstick? Her tone is unfriendly to fried food. I am offended!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 26 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #12

How anyone could be unfriendly to fair food is beyond me. That's what the fair is all about!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 26 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

Aaaahhhh yes. Kettle corn, pot stickers, fried rice, elephant ears, corn on the cob, buffalo burgers.....

mmmm mmmm mmmm

all that stuff is good by itself, but even better when bought for double the price at the fair!!! I go there to eat, forget the rides.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 26 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53713.04

'It' Happens
Cleaning Up Animal Waste At The County Fair Is A Smelly Job, But 4-Hers Have To Do It

Jason Miller and Deborah Sederberg

LaPORTE - When it comes to getting rid of the waste created by her stable of cows at the LaPorte County Fair, Allison Livinghouse draws the short straw most days.

"Especially in the morning when you have to clean out all the straw from the night before," the 18-year-old New Carlisle girl said as she looked down in feigned disgust at a wheelbarrow half-filled with bovine excrement. "Every time they poop, we've got to clean it up. I've got to clean it up."

Like hundreds of other 4-H members each year, Allison has to find a place to get rid of the thousands of pounds of animal waste generated during the week-long fair.

The formula is fairly easy, said Allison's mom, Sandy. Shovel the waste - tastefully intermingled with straw and hay to hide, somewhat, the sight and smell - and wheel the load to one of two "poop piles" outside the animal barns.

According to Fair Manager Richard Rutz, the central waste pits are located on the east side of the swine barn and at the west end of the horse and pony barns.

Once a day, said Paul Schlundt - a father filling bowls with cow feed - fair officials pick up the piles and take them away to be composted. The smelly event has become the bane of many during the waning weeks of July each year.

But Schlundt says it's all part of being a "4-Her."

"The kids. They're always the ones to do it," he said. "It's fun for them, right? They get to push the wheelbarrow."

Rutz said the stuff the 4-H kids muck from their stalls "is the stuff that makes our corn grow tall." The 4-H exhibitors are required to keep their own pens clean, he said.

"Every day, the county highway department cleans the pits and hauls the waste away" to another location on the fairgrounds, Rutz said. "We are deeply indebted to the county for doing this for us."

Sandy Livinghouse, watching her daughter explain the waste removal process with a scowl, said the act is a lesson.

"The kids really pull the load," she said with a grin. "It's their responsibility since it's their project."
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 26 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Hmmmm...the cattle is the Governor, the 4Hers are the populace...

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 27 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=54524.87

Betting On Bossy's Bowel Moooooovements
Winner Nets $1,000 When Brandie Does What Brandie Does On The Right Square

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - If it's 5 p.m. Thursday at the LaPorte County Fair, it's time for Bossy Bingo. The 17-year event has become a tradition, according to Sheila Batchelor of the LaPorte County Soil and Water Conservation District.

Bossy Bingo is a SWCD fundraiser for education and outreach activities related to managing natural resources.

At yesterday's event, 224 people had purchased $10 tickets in advance to buy one of the squares on the large bingo grid. A grid of exactly 224 squares was created with white lime on the dirt floor of the 4-H Judging Arena.

Dorothy Levandoski and her son Bill, who volunteers with the district's Earth Team, waited in the stands with others who were hoping this time they would win the grand prize of 50 percent of the ticket sales. Dorothy Levandoski has attended the event for at least 15 years, she said, but has yet to win.

This year's winner, Susan Szymczak of Westville, increased her $10 investment 100-fold by winning the $1,000 grand prize. But she was not present to experience seeing the excrement hit her square - N3 - and make her the winner.

Judges Dennis Siddell and Cathy Ruse of Eagle Radio 96.7 were watching closely as this year's Bossy - also known as Brandie - was led into the arena. Both judges had seen Bossy Bingo before and Ruse said she and her mother actually won the event about five years ago, raking in $400.

At 4:59 p.m., Batchelor walked over to the adjacent Dairy Barn to summon Brandie, a one-year-old Jersey owned by Mike and Pam Ekovich of Rolling Prairie, to the arena. Once past the arena gate, the calf was left to wander at will.

She didn't go far or take long to make the movement that would leave no doubt in the minds of the judges or audience members which square was the lucky one.

Pam Ekovich said Brandie was well-prepared for her moment of glory. She had rested all afternoon and was given extra rations of hay and grain. That morning, Tony Ekovich, 18, entered Brandie in the show ring, where she took lst place in the Jersey summer yearling category and was selected as reserve junior Jersey champion.

And that evening, Brandie returned to the barn with another performance to her credit.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 30 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #17

Laurie Wink-Wink is more like it!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Jul 19 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 24 2007, 11:43 AM) *

This year's fair is this week with daily broadcasts live on WEFM. Special admission tickets provided by McDonalds and WEFM are available.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 19 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Jul 19 2009, 12:18 PM) *

This year's fair is this week with daily broadcasts live on WEFM. Special admission tickets provided by McDonalds and WEFM are available.

I am taking the family up there tomorrow for sure. We never miss fair week. It is a great time of year.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 20 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #20

We are leaving the house as we speak... Hope to see people up there! Pics to come!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:19 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com