Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Positive Train Control could be delayed until 2020
Southsider2k12
post May 13 2015, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Following the story about the tragic train derailment on the East Coast today, I picked up an interesting tidbit for Michigan City and the South Shore/NICTD.

Congress is looking at moving the deadline for Positive Train Control from the end of 2015 to the "at least 2020", meaning that the South Shore will be able to continue running without PTC on its lines until at least that time, assuming the bill passes and becomes law. PTC was the big onus that was driving the major rail changes through Michigan City by NICTD. This also would alleviate the time deadlines for having all of the track changes done locally.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/13/...source=Facebook
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Jun 22 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ May 13 2015, 03:26 PM) *

Following the story about the tragic train derailment on the East Coast today, I picked up an interesting tidbit for Michigan City and the South Shore/NICTD.

Congress is looking at moving the deadline for Positive Train Control from the end of 2015 to the "at least 2020", meaning that the South Shore will be able to continue running without PTC on its lines until at least that time, assuming the bill passes and becomes law. PTC was the big onus that was driving the major rail changes through Michigan City by NICTD. This also would alleviate the time deadlines for having all of the track changes done locally.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/13/...source=Facebook

I'm thinking that's going to be a much harder political sell after the Amtrak crash in Philly, but the plain fact is that most passenger railroads in the US right now are not on target to deliver Positive Train Control (PTC) by the end of 2015. I'm not sure where NICTD stands (we were making a lot of progress when I was there), but I think that the most likely outcome of the Amtrak crash is a year-to-year deferment, based on where the industry is.

Unlike the airlines, which rely upon the federally-funded Air Traffic Control system, railroads are solely on the hook for paying for the development, design, construction, operation, and maintenance of their own traffic control systems, which includes PTC. Funding and scarcity of radio bandwidth (for communications between each train, signal appliance, and a central control facility) have led to many delays.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:27 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com