2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dress Code
davew
post Mar 17 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 863

I find it absolutely pathetic that we have a generation of kids wearing prison garb. These kids with their pants so low that you can see leg and if they did not have a shirt that was so long you would see more.

I was at Gardena Park with my daughter on Sunday and Monday and every time these kids ran they had to hold their pants to keep them from falling. Now, I am a child of the 80's and a lot of kids wore jeans so tight you would have thought they were poured on, but the last thing I want to see is underwear or body parts I do not need to be seeing.

I am not really for a dress code, but really don't we have better sense than to dress like they do in jail. What aspirations they must have!

Also, shouldn't a playground be a no smoking area?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 17 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

You're right Dave. My daughter took her son (3 yr old) to Gardena, but they didn't get to stay long. Dirty park, sand boxes, and adults smoking and cursing (loudly) around the kids. Don't need to wonder why kiddos turn out they way some do, just look to the parents. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 17 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 17 2009, 09:20 AM) *

You're right Dave. My daughter took her son (3 yr old) to Gardena, but they didn't get to stay long. Dirty park, sand boxes, and adults smoking and cursing (loudly) around the kids. Don't need to wonder why kiddos turn out they way some do, just look to the parents. smile.gif

How disappointing that something built by so many members of our community has been ignored and allowed to go downhill so quickly.

Maybe someone from the Park & Rec offices reads the board, and will help get the parks cleaned up and properly maintained.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 17 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Doubtful. They have bigger fish to fry than little ol' Gardena Park. wacko.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 17 2009, 05:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I know the park dept. tries to keep up. But, it's really hard when you have so many ruining it. Broken glass, cig butts. But, who's to monitor the actions of losers? I don't know. Sad.

This thread should be included in the thread about apathy in our area. This is one of the big examples. That and urban blight....can be counted as one of the biggies sad.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 17 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(davew @ Mar 17 2009, 08:06 AM) *

I find it absolutely pathetic that we have a generation of kids wearing prison garb. These kids with their pants so low that you can see leg and if they did not have a shirt that was so long you would see more.

I was at Gardena Park with my daughter on Sunday and Monday and every time these kids ran they had to hold their pants to keep them from falling. Now, I am a child of the 80's and a lot of kids wore jeans so tight you would have thought they were poured on, but the last thing I want to see is underwear or body parts I do not need to be seeing.

I am not really for a dress code, but really don't we have better sense than to dress like they do in jail. What aspirations they must have!

Also, shouldn't a playground be a no smoking area?

As each generation ages they find the dress habits of the next generation revolting. My parents hated what I choose to wear in the 60's/70's - the very kids you're talknig about right now will do the same when they get old and the next generation gets old enough to pick thier own clothes.

"Get off my lawn, ya damn kids!"

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 17 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 17 2009, 06:38 PM) *

I know the park dept. tries to keep up. But, it's really hard when you have so many ruining it. Broken glass, cig butts. But, who's to monitor the actions of losers? I don't know. Sad.

This thread should be included in the thread about apathy in our area.

Yeah, but who cares about apathy?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
davew
post Mar 18 2009, 06:09 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 17 2009, 07:56 PM) *

As each generation ages they find the dress habits of the next generation revolting. My parents hated what I choose to wear in the 60's/70's - the very kids you're talknig about right now will do the same when they get old and the next generation gets old enough to pick thier own clothes.

laugh.gif

You are right, but our garb never resembled prison attire. Our jeans were too tight, our shirts untucked, and Mickey Mouse flipping off Iran t-shirts, but wearing your pants so loose that you need to hold them up to run is silly. I saw this kid last year on a moped and I could see his mid thigh.

That park has gone down, I watched a kid (teenager) jump,hang on the rim and try to rip it down. No, he was not playing basketball, he was trying to be destructive. My thoughts are let them destroy the place and not replace the rims. Well, then we would get complaints that they have no place to play. MC is slowly going down the drain and by the looks and actions of some of our youth. We are not too far from there.

Yes, that might be an unfair statement as not all of our youth are bad, but sometimes it feels that
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 18 2009, 06:59 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 17 2009, 07:56 PM) *

laugh.gif

Nice point. Really it goes to the idea that every generation has to make its own statement. They all will "rebel" in some form, and us oldies will all be offended. Dressing and looking funny is a time honored tradition.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 18 2009, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Yes, I understand that point.

But, how long is this fashion craze going to keep up. Surely there is a more current trend to grab on to. The low rider, baggy jeans, underware showing style is kind of old. It's been around for about 8 years that I know of. Time to get over it!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 18 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #11

They do get over it--when they get older and realize how ridiculous they look!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 18 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(davew @ Mar 18 2009, 07:09 AM) *

You are right, but our garb never resembled prison attire. Our jeans were too tight, our shirts untucked, and Mickey Mouse flipping off Iran t-shirts, but wearing your pants so loose that you need to hold them up to run is silly.

Yes, but the very fashion items you just mentioned were no doubt silly to the previous generation. I was a teenager in the early 70S, and my fashion role models were the members of Alice Cooper's band. I came from a college-prep family - can you imagine my mother's horror at the earrings, jewelry, nail polish, and chick's shirts? You're an old guy now - so you see the younger gen's fashion as silly. So do I! I see the baggy pants hanging off kids and think HOW can you think that's cool? But for them it is - plus just as we did when we were young, they take delight in us not getting it.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 19 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 18 2009, 06:09 PM) *

Yes, but the very fashion items you just mentioned were no doubt silly to the previous generation. I was a teenager in the early 70S, and my fashion role models were the members of Alice Cooper's band. I came from a college-prep family - can you imagine my mother's horror at the earrings, jewelry, nail polish, and chick's shirts? You're an old guy now - so you see the younger gen's fashion as silly. So do I! I see the baggy pants hanging off kids and think HOW can you think that's cool? But for them it is - plus just as we did when we were young, they take delight in us not getting it.

When I was a teenager, older adults complained about the length of my skirts (min skirts were the rage - they have returned a few times since also). I also hate seeing the cracks of butts, but other than trying to advise my own children from time to time, I will leave the dress code issue alone since it may not be the worst thing we ever see. sad.gif

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 19 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #14

Well, I have noticed the girls are wearing less.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
davew
post Mar 19 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 19 2009, 02:37 PM) *

For the record, I never complained about that - LOL, I am kidding

Yeah, they are wearing things that there is no way in #e// my daughter will ever wear

+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 19 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Never say never! smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 19 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 19 2009, 02:37 PM) *

I fail to see the problem.

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 20 2009, 06:49 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

smile.gif you're a trip!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Harvey
post Mar 22 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 24

guys if the parents would control thier kids(teenagers)our cities would not have the parks destoyed,i blame the parents for not disciplining their kids and spending quailty time with them! my two teenaged boys do not wear the prison garb and my two older kids will tell you that a good butt whopping did'nt hurt them either,I taught them to be respectful and to be produtive members of society! not a drag on our economy.if we as parents ignore our children they will destroy our society and we will revert back to the stone age, just think these kids one day will be the people running our government.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 22 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Harvey @ Mar 22 2009, 09:10 AM) *

....just think these kids one day will be the people running our government.

Not to mention deciding which nursing home to stick us in.

If no one else has said it yet Harvey, welcome to the boards! However, I'd like to say that the shift key is our friend, when used judiciously, like at the beginning of a sentence.

As for the kids and the way they dress, I'm just wondering how long it is going to take for the cycle to complete to the point where kids are insisting on wearing a suit and tie to school every day.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:52 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com