Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technology Only As Good As Department Using It
eric.hanke
post Jul 28 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

Due to the unfavorable weather tonight I decided to stay home with the family and view the MCAS Board of School Trustees Meeting online.

However, much to my surprise (just a little sarcasm), the technology department still does not have a reliable method of streaming the meetings online.

The MCAS spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on technology annually. They also maintain a very expensive data services contract for a 100MB connection (or a really fat pipe for you lay people) to the Internet. Why can't they reliably stream the MCAS Board meetings live? Additionally, why can't they record the meetings and make them available online for viewing at a later date?

The technology required to make these possible is really mature. Even for an open source department. This ain't rocket science.

***SIGH***

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
veryirishme
post Jul 28 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

I agree!!!! I was very disappointed. Why do they offer it if it never works!

I was going to ask if you went and got any good info!

+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 28 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Received the below update from Betsy Kohn:

Sorry the Board meeting was not streaming... Kevin is on vacation this week but I will follow up with him as soon as he is back. We need new equipment... we are working with an antiquated system...

You are correct - Mr. Burgwald's retention policy was the only item on the agenda. Here's a summary of what happened: Mr. Burgwald started out noting that ESL and special ed students would not be subject to the policy, in compliance with state regulations. Dr. Kora offered an amendment (basically that children who fail ISTEP - both ELA and math - would be required to attend summer school, otherwise they would be retained...This was contingent on students having a 90 percent attendance at summer school.) Mr. Burgwald then offered an amendment to the amendment, noting that it should not be based solely on attendance, but on "successful completion" of summer school (he did not define successful completion - but I am thinking he must be alluding to their completion of some kind of assessment). After more discussion, board members agreed to table (motion by Lee, seconded by Kora) until the next meeting. In the meantime, there will be a work session on the topic. Tentative date is Aug 10 but this was not confirmed - just suggested. When it's set we'll release it to the media and post it!

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
veryirishme
post Jul 28 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

No info on the new principals?

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jul 28 2009, 09:27 PM) *

Received the below update from Betsy Kohn:

+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 28 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(veryirishme @ Jul 28 2009, 11:06 PM) *
No info on the new principals?

Not sure. I do not have copies of the consent agenda.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com