Southsider2k12
post May 7 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20..._adam/col-6.txt

Pivotal moment for City

Within a month, we should know who the next head coaches will be for Michigan City High School boys basketball and football.

It's been a tumultuous offseason for MCHS' top revenue sports. First, basketball coach Bennie Edwards resigned after five consecutive losing seasons. Then, football coach Bob Holmes resigned/was fired after struggling on the field and some sort of alleged accounting scandal.

Now it's the moment of truth for these programs. The time has come for administration to select two competent leaders for these programs that will help develop them into the winners that their fans believe they can be.

I had one person whose opinion I respect tell me just how attractive this boys basketball job is. This person said City could be built into a consistent winner, given its constant influx of talent and athletic ability. This person insisted this is as attractive a job as there is in the area, based on that theory.

Now, maybe that's true and maybe it isn't. But it should make people feel good about what MCHS has to offer. A coach who can come in and milk production out of this talent could be the talk of the town very quickly.

There have been many names rumored for this job, most notably to area fans is former Chesterton and Andrean coach Bob Buscher, who's looking to get back into the coaching biz after a few years removed. The top internal candidate would seem to be Rob Walker, who has coached at LaVille in Indiana and River Valley in Michigan, but spent last year as a junior varsity assistant.

As for football, I wouldn't have thought the job would be too attractive. But rumor has it there are some strong names available, and I'm sure the search committee will be diligent and select a good person.

Again, speaking of internal candidates, it would seem that assistant coach Tom Cicero would have an inside track. It's also too bad that Doug Nelson, a top assistant in both football and basketball, got away and took the head football job at Benton Central just before the Holmes fiasco unfolded. Nelson would have joined Cicero as a top-notch applicant from within the system.

No matter who is selected, the person will be charged with turning around a program that is in dire need of wins, but would seem to have the capability of producing them.

Sometimes change is a good thing. The only question is: Can MCHS capitalize on this opportunity?

The community will be watching.

Have an idea for Home Cookin' or Parky's People? Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 23 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

The community not only needs to be watching but also supporting the programs by attending events, etc.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 23 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

The problem is that nobody wants to support a loser. I don't know how many times I heard spectators complain that they wasted their money to watch their team lose. That is why, when I was athletic secretary, I tried to incorporate special events into the games to bring spectators in. i.e. Elementary school night during BB season, with a parade around the gym during half time and a travelling "spirit stick" for the school who showed the most spirit. I don't know if they're still doing special events like that anymore, but it worked for us while I was there.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 24 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #4

What a great idea!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 24 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 23 2007, 02:22 PM) *

The problem is that nobody wants to support a loser. I don't know how many times I heard spectators complain that they wasted their money to watch their team lose. That is why, when I was athletic secretary, I tried to incorporate special events into the games to bring spectators in. i.e. Elementary school night during BB season, with a parade around the gym during half time and a travelling "spirit stick" for the school who showed the most spirit. I don't know if they're still doing special events like that anymore, but it worked for us while I was there.

Its too bad, because people are missing the whole point of sport. It is supposed to be a release from reality, not an extension of suffering. Your team doesn't have to win for it to be a good day. After all, a good day at the ballpark beats a bad day just about anywhere else smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 24 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

That's why I had all the special events. I wanted to make it fun for people despite the fact that our team lost. I wanted people to go home saying, "Well, our team lost, but I sure had a good time anyway."

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 26 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Amen, amen!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:50 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com