Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coming Home..., For Good
Ang
post Apr 23 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Okay. It's official. I am coming home for good at the end of May, so maybe our little party on the 31st could be a Welcome Home Angie party instead. laugh.gif (Hear that? It's me tootin' my own horn wink.gif )

There are many factors surrounding my decision to return home, but the main reason is that my father is not well and I feel the need to come home and take care of him. I'll be staying with him in Porter until I get employed and get on my feet, but will probably end up living in Porter anyway to be near him. Plus, as I said somewhere else, I don't want my daughter going to school in MC.

So, there you have it folks!
biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 23 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Good luck with the move, Ang!
+Quote Post
lbl
post Apr 23 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

Okay. It's official. I am coming home for good at the end of May, so maybe our little party on the 31st could be a Welcome Home Angie party instead. laugh.gif (Hear that? It's me tootin' my own horn wink.gif )

There are many factors surrounding my decision to return home, but the main reason is that my father is not well and I feel the need to come home and take care of him. I'll be staying with him in Porter until I get employed and get on my feet, but will probably end up living in Porter anyway to be near him. Plus, as I said somewhere else, I don't want my daughter going to school in MC.

biggrin.gif

The MCAS are not that bad! Honestly! If you have good kids, who make good decisions, and you're a good parent who supports their education, they'll do fine. (There are kids getting $56,000 scholarships from U of Chicago and Northwestern that go to MCHS...and Lilly full ride scholarships...both of which are academic...but you never hear of it.)

I'm sure you do those things! Welcome back to MC, we need thinkers!

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 23 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Honestly...

Because I am a rather outspoken person (see my quote at the bottom), and because I was an employee of the MCAS (and outspoken then), I don't believe my child would be well received by some people within the school system (I'm trying VERY hard to be PC). While, I believe, I left on good terms, or at least reasonably good terms, I haven't been afraid to voice my opinion as often as I feel the need to since I left.

Having said that, at this point I think it's best my daughter not attend school within the MCAS, and private school is not an option.

I sincerely agree that there is a good education to be had from MCAS, but it is up to the student to have the determination to suceed. My experience with my son as a student within MCAS showed me that the teachers want to help the children be more successful academically, but due to politics, their hands are tied as to just exactly how much help they can provide and with social promotion, it's better to leave the lazy kids alone and work more with the children who are more motivated. The lazy kids will get to move forward anyway, so why not help the kids who want the help?
By the time I moved here, my son was starting 9th grade and the damage had been done. There is no such thing as "social promotion" here and he was expected to have the skills of a 9th grader, but because he was pushed through the system in MC, he had the skills of a 7th grader-more or less. He ended up quitting school at the end of 10th grade--he had 2.5 credits toward graduation.

I'm not saying that ALL of the MCAS is bad. I know there are excellent teachers out there. I have met and worked with many. I'm saying that my experience was very bad with my son and I think it's best that my daughter attend school in another district.

(on a positive note, my son went to Job Corps and earned his GED in three months. He passed the test in the top 10% and was just barely 17. He is a very smart kid, and had he been encouraged and worked with while he was in middle school, he would have been a very successful student in high school.)

/soapbox.
Thank you.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 23 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #5

And one more thing...

I worked with my son. He sat and did homework every night, I helped him, we studied, I communicated with his teachers (I was an employee then and I had a good rapport with all of his teachers), I did it all as best I could, but at school he was lazy. I cannot help what the child does when I'm not around.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 23 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Wow, Ang - congratulations to you! I think I'm a little envious. Good luck with the move - see you in December!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 23 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tim @ Apr 23 2009, 03:48 PM) *

Wow, Ang - congratulations to you! I think I'm a little envious. Good luck with the move - see you in December!

Thanks! I'm terrified with the economy the way it is, but this is something I need to do.

I'll be looking forward to December!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Apr 24 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Good luck Ang!

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
BioTeach
post Apr 24 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 9

QUOTE(Homey @ Apr 24 2009, 06:58 AM) *

Good luck Ang!

It will be great to have you back. I hope the move goes well.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Apr 24 2009, 07:45 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

Good luck with the move, Ang! biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 24 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #11

Thank you all so much!

sniff sniff

You're making me blush. I wish people in WY could be as friendly and caring as us "mid-westerners"

I can't wait to get home!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 27 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Wow, it's great to hear you're coming back. I'm sorry to hear about your father; tough that it's under those circumstances. But I'm looking forward to meeting you in real life!
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 27 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 24 2009, 10:00 AM) *

Thank you all so much!

sniff sniff

You're making me blush. I wish people in WY could be as friendly and caring as us "mid-westerners"

I can't wait to get home!

Yet, you do know the deal on the weather. Welcome home for now dear.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 28 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Michelle @ Apr 27 2009, 04:08 PM) *

Wow, it's great to hear you're coming back. I'm sorry to hear about your father; tough that it's under those circumstance. But I'm looking forward to meeting you in real life!

It's funny that you mention that Michelle because I have every intention of stopping by the library to meet you when I get home. I was just going to walk in and surprise you, but now that you know I'm coming please don't run and hide. laugh.gif

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 27 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Yet, you do know the deal on the weather. Welcome home for now dear.

I'll do my best to leave it here. I promise. wink.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 29 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

[quote name='Ang' date='Apr 28 2009, 11:40 AM' post='20813']
It's funny that you mention that Michelle because I have every intention of stopping by the library to meet you when I get home. I was just going to walk in and surprise you, but now that you know I'm coming please don't run and hide. laugh.gif

lol, not a chance. Please leave the snow there, though. I love it, but I'm ready for summer. Already busted out the Beach Boys music.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 30 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #16

I'm officially moved out of my house and homeless. Wow! Never been homeless before. It's kind of an eerie feeling to tell the truth. At least I have a car I can live out of for the next four weeks. laugh.gif

Seriously, though--don't worry--I do have a place to stay till we leave.

Oh, and I left the snow shovels behind with the hopes that we won't get any more snow. I guess it wouldn't matter if we did since I have no sidewalks to be responsible for anymore.

My target departure date is May 26th (notice that I keep moving it up? By the time I'm done, I'll probably be there next week.) My last work day is May 22 and my daughter's last school day is also May 22. I've got a Humane Society obligation on May 23rd, and two high school graduations to attend on the 24th and 25th, so on the 26th I plan to be east bound-loaded up and runnin' (can anyone name that tune?)

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 30 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I'm gonna miss your avatar pics...

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 1 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #18

Oh, don't worry, I've got a ton of pics on the laptop at home, I promise to keep the avatar changing with beautiful mountain scenery pics. I'll probably throw in a couple of lake scenery pics for variety, though

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 24 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #19

Ok guys! I'm going to be offline for a coupla days, but I will go by the library Wednesday to check in (and meet Michelle!)

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post May 24 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Ang @ May 24 2009, 06:40 PM) *

Ok guys! I'm going to be offline for a coupla days, but I will go by the library Wednesday to check in (and meet Michelle!)

I was going to sleep down on my boat tonight, but the teperature dropped. Did you have anything to do with it Ang?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:56 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com