IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More MC history - have you seen this sign?
Tim
post Apr 22 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

THis is a sign on the outside wall of a building on Franklin St. Have you seen it?

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 22 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Call me crazy, but it looks like that's inside, not out. huh.gif
Obviously, I've not seen it.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 22 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 22 2008, 09:05 PM) *

Call me crazy, but it looks like that's inside, not out. huh.gif
Obviously, I've not seen it.

Okay - you're crazy.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 23 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Well, I have no recollection of seeing that, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's a business on north Franklin. It's behind the building, or perhaps on the side, and someone has built a deck, or maybe it's an awning over it (which is why it looks indoors)

My guess is it's in the 500 block of North Franklin on the west side of the street.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Apr 23 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

I believe it's on the back of a building (hence the deck) on the SW corner of Franklin & 11th...right?

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 25 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

This sign is on the south wall of 819 Franklin St. You can't see it because in about 1902 someone built 817 Franklin St. next to it. I found it when my dad was still working at Miller Tax Service at 815 Franklin St. Whoever the nice man is now at 817 Franklin let us check out his attic - and there it was. So - at the turn of the century there was an 815 Franklin St. and an 819 Franklin St. - but no 817 Franklin St. That means that 10 to 15 years before the Titanic sank people could see the sign while walking or driving north on Franklin - and it's still there, just like it was then.

I find stuff like that intriguing.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 25 2008, 06:09 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

That is pretty awesome stuff. Odds are like 10 people in town know about that... well before now anyway!
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 25 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

I find stuff like that intriguing.

What I find intriguing is that wooden thing in the picture on the right side which seems to be leaning against the wall. What the heck is that?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 25 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #9

I was wondering that myself.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 25 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 25 2008, 11:48 AM) *

What I find intriguing is that wooden thing in the picture on the right side which seems to be leaning against the wall. What the heck is that?

Yeah - I think it was just the frame for.... something - it was leaning against the wall.

As I stood there looking at this sign, I tried to imagine what it was like in 1901 in MC - what people were wearing when they saw this sign. We all know Michigan City so well - yet 100 years ago it was inhabited by a completely different set of people.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2008, 07:17 AM
Post #11

Yeah, people who loved the town and wanted it to become a prestigous community that was the envy of the surrounding communities. What we got now is a bunch of leaders with their own agenda whose biggest achievement will be turn MC into a ghost town.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 26 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 26 2008, 07:17 AM) *

Yeah, people who loved the town and wanted it to become a prestigous community that was the envy of the surrounding communities. What we got now is a bunch of leaders with their own agenda whose biggest achievement will be turn MC into a ghost town.

With all due respect, that's a load of crap.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 27 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Apr 26 2008, 06:15 PM) *

With all due respect, that's a load of crap.

Which part is crap? I happen to agree with Ang.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 27 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #14

I'd like to know too.

When you're going to disagree with something, you have to say why you disagree. Otherwise, your point is moot.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 27 2008, 04:34 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 27 2008, 01:18 PM) *

I'd like to know too.

When you're going to disagree with something, you have to say why you disagree. Otherwise, your point is moot.

Do you make the board rules? I don't "have" to do anything. You may have your opinions about the officials in MC, but Michigan City will not turn into a ghost town anytime soon and THAT is a load of crap.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 27 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #16

You also should not be so hostile and I am an Admin on the board, so Yes, I have a say in the rules. However, my remark was made in a joking manner. Sorry that you missed it.

Since you do not live in Michigan City and only visit a couple times a year, you probably haven't realized how many people have actually moved out of town. You don't know how many kids leave town for college and don't come back. It's more and more every day. There are small businesses closing more and more often. Factories are closing and moving operations out of town. No new business is coming in.

Michigan City is nice in the summer and appears more populated because of tourists, but it's not the busy mini-metropolis it once was. IMHO, if it doesn't become a ghost town, it will be a little Gary.

It's okay to disagree with me, Tim but if you're going to call my remark a bunch of crap, the least you can do is explain why you feel that way. That's just common courtesy.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 27 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 27 2008, 04:52 PM) *

You also should not be so hostile and I am an Admin on the board, so Yes, I have a say in the rules.

I have more faith in the good people of Michigan City - so even if it WAS the administration's goal to turn MC into a ghost town our citizens would not let that happen. One of the things I find sad about some people in MC is their "This place sucks and nothing can be done about it" attitude. That's what your post smelled like.

Think - then post.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 27 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Apr 27 2008, 06:16 PM) *

I have more faith in the good people of Michigan City - so even if it WAS the administration's goal to turn MC into a ghost town our citizens would not let that happen. One of the things I find sad about some people in MC is their "This place sucks and nothing can be done about it" attitude. That's what your post smelled like.

Think - then post.

I disagree with you on that one, Tim. Ang doesn't live here anymore, but is well aware of what our fair City is capable of becoming. Ang, like many others, is of the opinion that in order for things to happen in this town, we need changes in administration...or at least decisions made that would have a positive impact. I'm talking more than just sewers built form the riverboat funds...rather, changes such as reopening Frnaklin Street all the way through to the lakefront, making it 2-way traffic again instead of one-way...courting new industry and job creation...

My family has a lot of history in this town, and we're not giving up yet. This small town has a LOT of potential. We just need the right people in place to make it happen.

This is what I saw in Ang's post. Anyone else?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 27 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 27 2008, 06:50 PM) *

I disagree with you on that one, Tim. Ang doesn't live here anymore, but is well aware of what our fair City is capable of becoming. Ang, like many others, is of the opinion that in order for things to happen in this town, we need changes in administration...or at least decisions made that would have a positive impact. I'm talking more than just sewers built form the riverboat funds...rather, changes such as reopening Frnaklin Street all the way through to the lakefront, making it 2-way traffic again instead of one-way...courting new industry and job creation...

My family has a lot of history in this town, and we're not giving up yet. This small town has a LOT of potential. We just need the right people in place to make it happen.

This is what I saw in Ang's post. Anyone else?

Good points - but again, no matter what anyone thinks of the current administration I seriously doubt anyone in the administration's goal is to turn MC into a ghost town. THat really wouldn't make sense.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 27 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 27 2008, 04:52 PM) *

You also should not be so hostile and I am an Admin on the board, so Yes, I have a say in the rules. However, my remark was made in a joking manner. Sorry that you missed it.

Since you do not live in Michigan City and only visit a couple times a year, you probably haven't realized how many people have actually moved out of town. You don't know how many kids leave town for college and don't come back. It's more and more every day. There are small businesses closing more and more often. Factories are closing and moving operations out of town. No new business is coming in.

Michigan City is nice in the summer and appears more populated because of tourists, but it's not the busy mini-metropolis it once was. IMHO, if it doesn't become a ghost town, it will be a little Gary.

It's okay to disagree with me, Tim but if you're going to call my remark a bunch of crap, the least you can do is explain why you feel that way. That's just common courtesy.

You need to accept the fact the the very hostility you now whine about you yourself instilled with your negative comment about my/our hometown. I was born in MC - so was my dad - so was his dad. My dad was mayor for eight years when I was a kid - including 1966, the year were were named an All America City AND the Devils won State. So even though I've been gone since '84 I have a deep and abiding love for Michigan City. As a native of MC, I found your comment offensive, and responded in kind. And come on - did you somehow skip over the "With all due respect" part of my post?

Regarding your post being "a joke" - normal message board acumen dictates that when a statement such as yours is completely devoid of any hint that it's a joke the fact that it IS a joke is either indicated by j/k or one of those laughing faces.

When you talk about someone's hometown you talk about something they may have a passion about. As such I suggest you post with that thought in mind.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:07 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com