April 11th at 6pm
American Legion Skwiat Post 451

Michigan City FireFighters PAC
April 13 at 7pm
Memorial Park

Michigan City Chamber of Commerce
April 18 at 7pm
City Hall--Council Chamber

Has anyone else heard of any others that I've missed?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 12 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 5 2007, 11:19 AM) *

Michigan City Women's Democratic Club
April 11th at 6pm
American Legion Skwiat Post 451

Michigan City FireFighters PAC
April 13 at 7pm
Memorial Park

Michigan City Chamber of Commerce
April 18 at 7pm
City Hall--Council Chamber
Has anyone else heard of any others that I've missed?

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 14 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I attended last night at Memorial Park, and it was a great experience. I took a ton of notes, and in the next couple of days I will make sure to write up what I heard and my opinions on some people.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 16 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Michigan City Chamber of Commerce Candidates Forums

April 18
-City Council candidates
-At Large
-1st Ward
-3rd Ward
-4th Ward

April 19th
-2nd Ward
-5th Ward
-6th Ward
-Mayoral Candidates

Both forums will be held at City Hall in the Council Chambers from 7-9pm.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 16 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Here are my notes, observations, and thoughts from the Figherfighters PAC candidate forum.

The candidates spoke in order of Ward's, then Clerk/s, then Mayor's. The Wards were done in numerical order, so the first ward candidates spoke first.... I am going to get as much of this up here today, and fill in what I miss ASAP. Also if anyone notices anything that is inaccurate or wrong, please let me know, as I am going off of my notes I took during the speeches.

1st Ward Kaser- Leading off the night, she did like most other candidates did, and spoke at length of the firefighters, and the merit system. I won't spend too much time dwelling on that, as none of the candidates who spoke, said anything against the merit system, so it didn't seem like much of an issue for me. There weren't a lot of specifics or big plans, but she did speak at length about the understanding the history of MC, and making sure we live up to our potential.

1st Ward Murphy He spoke about the opportunies for change that exsist in MC. There was also talk about focusing on development, jobs, and making it easier to do business in MC. There was also a big emphasis about making sure we build from within.

Now for my home ward...

2nd Ward Espar Mainly talked about the incumbant as am impediment to growth, which really didn't make a great impression on me. I want to hear about what you want to do moving forward, not what you would have done with hindsight. Specifally mentioned was the $1.5 million spent fighting the Ruby Woods affordable housing development that was stopped.

2nd Ward Harris The only Republician on any ballot in MC, he is running unopposed for his parties nomination in this ward, but still came by and spoke. He promised to be responsive and to set up a ward specific website which would focus on our issues, and give information pertinant to the second ward. His areas of focus would be living wage jobs, business growth, and economic development.

2nd Ward Przybylinski One big point that he made with his parks and rec backround was that he was 100% against any development in the Dunes and Washington Park. He also spoke out against the Early Learning Center, and instead favored more tutoring programs for older and at risk kids. There was also talk about oppposing any new liquor licenses in MC.

3rd Ward Meer One of two guys running totally unopposed in these muncipal elections, he was the only one of them to show up to the forum. Meer's district covers the west side, and he spoke at length of amy of the improvements that have been made there including Pullman, Willard Ave, Streibel Pond, the clearing of the junkyard next to Nipsco, and more police patrols. In the future he wants to see more lack access and is against the waste transer station, and the subsidized housing projects. He stressed the importantance of the public to him, and talked of driving all of his ward very often.

4th Ward Boy First talked of being against the Pahs Road development. She talked about looking at a LaPorte County plan. She also talked a lot about committees and plans mentioning wanting to set up a committee for women, a review committee, and enviornmental committee, and a citizens advisory committee to study all of old and new north end plans, and to meld them into one clear vision.

4th Ward Gring Like pretty much all of the candidates he spent time giving his due to the figherfights, but did talk about the need for higher wages for them. The big point he made was to talk about the need to spend smarter than we have as we spent $1.5 million fighting Ruby Woods development and so far have spent $50,000 on Pahs Road, and who knows how much more. He also wanted to see us develop past i-94 for MC not for Laporte Co. He made one promise and that was candor and open communication

5th Ward Milsap Milsap was a no show. I know he is unopposed, but to not show up without giving a reason really bothers me.

6th Ward Jankowski His main proposal was to look at $500 for tax relief for all homeowners coming out of the riverboat money. He also wanted to set up a public worker trust fund to pay for higher salaries for our public workers, such as figherfighters and police.

6th Ward Thomas Thomas himself was not able to make it, as he was at an event with his kids, but his wife did a nice job speaking on his behalf. Said Thomas wants what is right for MC. He wants to see more organizations work together, and is against public humiliation of people who have a different opinion. Wants to enhance the taxbase through focusing on the north end development, and also focus on business growth.

I am going to put these up for now, and work on the rest as I get a little more time. Still to come are the At Large candidates, Clerk candidates, and the Mayoral candidates.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 17 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #6

OK part II beginning with the At Large Council

At Large Baker There wasn't a whole lot of substance in my opinion here. The entire speech was dedicated to her past history in the Council. She did emphasize her hard work, and her lengthy record on behalf of the public.

At Large Biela One of the people running who held previous office, Biela talked about his prior work in the Council, and his achievements such as being a part of bringing in the enterprize zones, work in expanding the Marina, the Blue Chip's arrival, and the baseball field by the prision being built and opened. He talked about saving taxpayers $1.85 million by switching streetlights to a fiscally responsible Amber light which used less power. The two really different things Biela did in his speech were to pull out an article from when he was on Council in 1979 showing that he was in favor of the fire merit system nearly 30 years ago, and he ended his speech with a Top Ten list of reasons we should vote for him, which was pretty entertaining.

At Large Childers Talked about the need to recruit and support new businesses to MC He also talked about the need to listen to people, make MC better and to boost the suffering morale of the people here.

At Large Connor He must still be on the ballot as they had him on the list to speak, but as has been addressed in the Election thread, Connor has withdrawn from this race.

At Large Doyle Led off by speaking about his Open Door policy. He mentioned his service on the Park Board, as well as his attitude and work as a team player. Doyle also spoke about his work on one of the MCAS Strategic Plan teams, and being in favor of the Early Learning Center.

At Large McKee He started off by saying he was going to speak about the need to combat apathy, but with the crowd that turned out (I estimated about 100 people or so) that changed his mind. McKee talked about his family history and also how active he was with his kids. He spoke in favor of the Early Learning Center, but also wants to see more done for older and higher level kids. The one unique thing in his speech was he feels the City needs to market its assets to senior citizens, as they do not place as much of a tax burden on a municipality.

At Large Starks She spoke about being drawn back to MC by her and her family's roots here. She talked about the declines in things like schools, parks, and activities as being a driving force in her running for office. Starks views MC as a diamond in the rough, and will positive and proud if elected.

At Large Washington One of the first things he spoke about was the disservice done to people serving, by making the kids go to school on Memorial Day. He wants to see the citizens decide their own future. He also spoke about spurring growth and development, but making sure that all of MC benefits, and used the example of wanting to build a nice park on South Ohio Street. He is a big believer in the development of our youth.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 17 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #7

Next up Clerk candidates and then Mayor...

Clerk Dempsey Began by complimenting his opponents, calling them all "Nice Guys" He did instantly differenciate himself by saying that technology was key to the Clerk's Office. He wants to have all of our information on-line and easily accessible and sortable. He talked about the new Wi-Fi expansion also playing a part in that. He wants to see the Clerks office basically as an on-line version of ALCO, the LP County TV cable station, and that he wants to periodically go on to TV to inform the public about what is going on in the office.

Clerk Fedder Said he is running for his eighth and final term in this election. He does not see himself seeking office again. He did counter Dempsey's points by saying that there are limitations placed on the office by the local statutes and they were the first office in MC to have computers. He said he would appear on TV, but didn't really want to, or see the need to. He said the important thing was that he has always ran a good office where information was easily available.

Clerk Stimley He spoke at length of the many contributions and efforts he has made in MC as a business owner here, especially with the local youth. He believes that the Clerks office should be quick accurate and friendly, and he thinks he would be supportive in acheiving that.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 17 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Mayor

Mayor LaRocco The first impression I got of him was that more than any candidate he looked like a politician. For some reason I think he bears a strong resemblence to the former Mayor Daley. Not that any of that means anything, but I figured I would throw that out there... The first thing he spoke about was wanting to organize a periodic Mayor's Night Out to address ideas and complaints, and to use that to hold all Department heads responsible. He is/was against the Waste Transfer station. He wants to keep the Police dispatcher and restore the fire one. Wants to really concentrate on the Michigan Blvd corridor and through that increase the local tax base, force businesses to not fight annexation in exchange for tax abatements, and to assist local contractors first. He also wants to keep out speculators in local developments.

Mayor Oberlie He spoke at length about his achievements in his term in office. He hit on things like the Early Learning Center, the Strategic Plan, Streibel Pond, new roads/sewers and fire equiptment. Some of the new things he talked about were improvements to the zoo and parks by instituting the continuous trail system which eventually would link to the National Lakeshore. I didn't hear too much about his plans for the future though, which kind of made me wonder with all of the big questions we have in the air right now.

Mayor Winski Talked about MC as an "All American City" from back before, and wanting to restore that pride. She said the time has past for blame, and that now is the time to move forward, and that is where leadership comes in. Wants to utilize our resources better, and make City safe and clean again. She wants to return life to the old downtown area, and she also talked about Economic Developement and expanding the tax base. Also spoke out in favor of children and supplying a good education to them. The one thing I wanted to hear mention was her new plan for changing the traffic set up into Washington Park and the beach.

Now I would be interested to hear the opinions of anyone else who went to any of these nights (or goes to the upcoming ones) and later at a later date, closer to the election, I am going to offer up more of an opinion piece about the candidates, and who I would like to see elected, and who I wouldn't like to see win, based on what I have seen out of people's job preformances and their activivities during the election cycle.
+Quote Post
Karen Conner
post Apr 17 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 209

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 17 2007, 01:44 PM) *

Mayor

Mayor LaRocco The first impression I got of him was that more than any candidate he looked like a politician. For some reason I think he bears a strong resemblence to the former Mayor Daley. Not that any of that means anything, but I figured I would throw that out there... The first thing he spoke about was wanting to organize a periodic Mayor's Night Out to address ideas and complaints, and to use that to hold all Department heads responsible. He is/was against the Waste Transfer station. He wants to keep the Police dispatcher and restore the fire one. Wants to really concentrate on the Michigan Blvd corridor and through that increase the local tax base, force businesses to not fight annexation in exchange for tax abatements, and to assist local contractors first. He also wants to keep out speculators in local developments.

Mayor Oberlie He spoke at length about his achievements in his term in office. He hit on things like the Early Learning Center, the Strategic Plan, Streibel Pond, new roads/sewers and fire equiptment. Some of the new things he talked about were improvements to the zoo and parks by instituting the continuous trail system which eventually would link to the National Lakeshore. I didn't hear too much about his plans for the future though, which kind of made me wonder with all of the big questions we have in the air right now.

Mayor Winski Talked about MC as an "All American City" from back before, and wanting to restore that pride. She said the time has past for blame, and that now is the time to move forward, and that is where leadership comes in. Wants to utilize our resources better, and make City safe and clean again. She wants to return life to the old downtown area, and she also talked about Economic Developement and expanding the tax base. Also spoke out in favor of children and supplying a good education to them. The one thing I wanted to hear mention was her new plan for changing the traffic set up into Washington Park and the beach.

Now I would be interested to hear the opinions of anyone else who went to any of these nights (or goes to the upcoming ones) and later at a later date, closer to the election, I am going to offer up more of an opinion piece about the candidates, and who I would like to see elected, and who I wouldn't like to see win, based on what I have seen out of people's job preformances and their activivities during the election cycle.

I have been to several speaking engagements that Joie Winski spoke on her ideas for the improvment of Michigan City and was totally impressed with her energy, her vision and her intelligence on these matters. I am conviced that her ability to work with people that live and work here would be her greatest asset. She wants a government of inclusion not exclusion. It is time to open the windows and doors of this goverment and let some fresh air in and fresh ideas. Karen Conner
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 19 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

Southsider, you are WAY ahead of the ND.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 19 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

winski's plan reiterates the canard about the placement of the library and city hall along with the closure then opening of Franklin st as a one-way being the downfall of downtown.

I think she is smart enough to come up with a way to reroute traffic or change the flow (f'rinstance, why all the freakin' stop signs?!) without resorting to anti-Library and -City Hall ideation.

+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 19 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 19 2007, 11:51 AM) *

winski's plan reiterates the canard about the placement of the library and city hall along with the closure then opening of Franklin st as a one-way being the downfall of downtown.

I think she is smart enough to come up with a way to reroute traffic or change the flow (f'rinstance, why all the freakin' stop signs?!) without resorting to anti-Library and -City Hall ideation.

Max,
Are you attending the forum at City Hall tonight?
+Quote Post
Informed
post Apr 24 2007, 05:49 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 60

6th Ward Thomas Thomas himself was not able to make it, as he was at an event with his kids[/i], but his wife did a nice job speaking on his behalf. Said Thomas wants what is right for MC. He wants to see more organizations work together, and is against public humiliation of people who have a different opinion. Wants to enhance the taxbase through focusing on the north end development, and also focus on business growth.

Agree his wife did a nice job; however, his wife indicated he was on a business trip in Florida scheduled prior to this forum being scheduled, not with his kids.

Mr. McKee had indicated his wife was not there as she was with their kids at a sporting event, so I think you may have confused the two...
[i]
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 06:22 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Informed @ Apr 24 2007, 06:49 AM) *

6th Ward Thomas Thomas himself was not able to make it, as he was at an event with his kids[/i], but his wife did a nice job speaking on his behalf. Said Thomas wants what is right for MC. He wants to see more organizations work together, and is against public humiliation of people who have a different opinion. Wants to enhance the taxbase through focusing on the north end development, and also focus on business growth.

Agree his wife did a nice job; however, his wife indicated he was on a business trip in Florida scheduled prior to this forum being scheduled, not with his kids.

Mr. McKee had indicated his wife was not there as she was with their kids at a sporting event, so I think you may have confused the two...
[i]

I could very well have confused the two. I was taking quick notes, and trying to rely on memory as much as possible. Thanks for the correction!
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 25 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Could not attend the forum. I will have to wait for southsider's analysis.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com