Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frosty Boy
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 4 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Not having been at this establishment for quite some time due to an unhappy experience from the people who bought it from Mary Lombard, I heard that an acquaintance couple (©, by the way) had purchased it. Of course, I headed there for lunch to see how the food is and how they are doing.

When I try a new Italian place, I usually order the same dish: Veal parmagiana. This allows me to eliminate some variables and gives each restaurant a fair chance. In the case of the drive-up/walk-up Frosty Boy, this means not veal parmagiana, of course, but a Chicago-style hot dog and a chili dog, all to go.

The total was $4.01, which seems like a good price for this kind of food. The dogs were packed in white styro clam shells, good-quality napkins, and a fork for spillage, I presumed, in a brown paper bag.

First off, I am not sure which hot dog they use. I admit that I forgot to check for any sign in the window, and I did not ask. I hope that they use a kosher dog, which is the standard for hot dog stands. The chili dog was in a standard, plain bun. Unfortunately, so was the Chicago dog. I urge them to change to the traditional poppy seed roll; believe me, the clientele they hope to attract will notice the difference.

The chili dog had a generous portion of chili spread from bow to stern. The sauce is the type that is rather thick, beany-tasting, and lightly sprinkled with ground meat. I prefer a different chili sauce than this. I feel that the sauce is better as a condiment than as used here. Remember the old Morrison's chili? I think that is what my palate is trying to recall, if not enjoy. All in all, the chili dog was OK, but I would like them to use a strainer to serve more solids than liquids, if you follow me. No heartburn or "wind damage" resulted, so it passes the ultimate test.

Now to the Chicago dog. I will start with the bun, mentioned above. Imagine Grant Park without the Fountain. There. I requested no onions, due to the severe gastric disturbance they cause me, Taking the sandwich from the top, which I define here as the open side of the nonpoppy bun and working to the hinge, I found several slices of pickled jalapeño, two slices of flat-cut dill pickle, pieces of rough-cut tomatoes to one side of the hot dog. You notice there is no mention of the piccallily, or what you might call the weirdly green relish; now imagine the Skyline sans the John Hancock. Did I forget the Plochman's mustard? I have to assume it was there, tho' there is none spilled on my tie.

Will I go back? Hmmmmm.......... I am willing to try some things, but I will not have the chili dog or Chicago dog as they are. The Chicago dog should have the missing items (sport peppers, fluorescent relish, Plochman's, poppy seeds) or don't call it a Chicago dog. Maybe a Hammond dog.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 5 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I went to high school with Sandy Hosna nee Orlowski. Plus, I was acquainted with her and her husband Mike. I haven't talked to either of them since I moved away, but Sandy and I ended up spending the day together on the beach the Saturday before I left. It was coincidence we showed up at the the same place at the same time, so we just sorta hung out. We each have a child the same age so they would play together. I wonder what happened to make her sell the Frosty Boy? Anybody hear anything? Roger?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 5 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

Negative. I just heard about the acquaintance couple©.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jun 7 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

I drove by yesterday afternoon, and there were no customers there at all. Strange, considering how hot it was.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:28 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com