IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Possible Fatal Shooting in Long Beach?
hrw
post Dec 11 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,186

Anyone hear anything?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Southsider2k12
post Jun 8 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Lake Shore Drive @ Apr 26 2016, 11:16 AM) *

The guy seems completely nuts. Talk to him for 5 minutes (if you can get away from his ranting in less than an hour, good for you) and it's clear that he' living on another planet. What kind of person kills their wife "accidentally" and then runs around telling everyone they can find the most vile and hateful things about her and her family? If not nuts, then just pure evil.

QUOTE(Blazer @ Apr 27 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Please don't taint her memory by spreading her killer's fabrications. That's obviously what he wants.

QUOTE(Franklin @ May 2 2016, 10:16 AM) *

Is anyone going to the pre-trial hearing tomorrow at 10am EST? Can't rely on the News Dispatch for accurate and unbiased reporting.

QUOTE(Justice4 @ May 12 2016, 09:56 AM) *

Orange is the new black! Your cellmates can't wait for you to get there! Pretty sure that you'll be the Belle of the Ball!

QUOTE(Equalizer666 @ Apr 19 2016, 03:41 PM) *

Does anyone know how much insurance he had on our angel's life? Was it over 1.5 million dollars? Does anyone know if that insurance claim has been settled? Was there maybe a "No Fault" policy set up by the "Insurance Broker" for a substantial windfall? Perhaps in trust for the kids with a "trustee" that has access to the funds. I would love to know the answers to these questions. If anywhere close to the truth, it would seem so devious that all wives should be nervous.

QUOTE(Michael @ Apr 7 2016, 09:10 AM) *

The weasel just filed a Rule 4© motion asking for the case to be dismissed because he did not receive a speedy trial. After his attorneys have dragged this thing out, it is beyond belief that they would file such a motion!

Maybe the next tactic will be to convince the judge that he was put in the unfortunate position of having to care for 4 motherless kids and that he would be their best role model. In addition to his other guns, he owned an assault rifle for god's sake!!!

I am not quite sure what is going on, but as the Administrator of this page, I would like to point out to anyone reading this conversation that all of these posters are registered to, and posting from, the exact same IP address, and using the exact same email service to register to this page. Odds are almost 100% that this isn't six different people posting, but the same person posting from six different accounts. That is absolutely 100% not allowed here. I understand what this story means to you, but I will not allow this sort of posting activity to go on here. Pick one account to post from.
+Quote Post
Recused
post Jun 8 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,482

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jun 8 2016, 04:42 PM) *

I am not quite sure what is going on, but as the Administrator of this page, I would like to point out to anyone reading this conversation that all of these posters are registered to, and posting from, the exact same IP address, and using the exact same email service to register to this page. Odds are almost 100% that this isn't six different people posting, but the same person posting from six different accounts. That is absolutely 100% not allowed here. I understand what this story means to you, but I will not allow this sort of posting activity to go on here. Pick one account to post from.

Yes. Good suggestion.

Hope the kids are alright.

In Re: the Guardianship of KATE LARKIN, CALLAHAN LARKIN, QUINN LARKIN, ANNE LARKIN

03/18/2015
Petition Filed
Dorothy Denise Carroll, by counsel, files Petition to Grant Guardian Authority to Purchase Real Property from John Larkin, Motion to Set Hearing on Petition to Grant Guardian Authority to Purchase Real Property from John Larkin, and proposed Order Setting Hearing on Petition.
Filed By: Carroll, Dorothy Denise

05/20/2015
Order Issued
The Court, sua sponte, moves for DOROTHY DENISE CARROLL to appear on June 8, 2015 at 9:30 a.m. and show cause as to why she should not be removed from the position of Guardian of the estate of the minor children, as well as the personal representative of the Estate of Stacey Larkin. The Court FURTHER ORDERS that DOROTHY DENISE CARROLL is hereby enjoined from taking any further fiduciary actions in these causes prior to the June 8, 2015 hearing, without prior approval by this Court.
Judicial Officer: Alevizos, Thomas J
Order Signed: 05/20/2015

06/17/2015
Order Issued
The Court has made addtional findings after the hearing regarding this matter. The Court finds that Dorothy Carroll has not preformed her duties as guardian and hereby removes her from guardian of the wards' estate. The Court appoints Jennifer Koethe as guardian ad litem for the wards, and Harbor Trust as Corporate guardian of teh wards' estate. The Court futher orders that the GAL adn CASA submit a report regarding whether Ms. Carroll's sister should remain guardian of the wards' persons and Ms. Carroll must submit a complete accounting report to the Court no later than July 1, 2015. -cmk
Order Signed: 06/17/2015

+Quote Post
Groucho
post Jun 9 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,319

06/17/2015
Order Issued
The Court has made addtional findings after the hearing regarding this matter. The Court finds that Dorothy Carroll has not preformed her duties as guardian and hereby removes her from guardian of the wards' estate. The Court appoints Jennifer Koethe as guardian ad litem for the wards, and Harbor Trust as Corporate guardian of teh wards' estate. The Court futher orders that the GAL adn CASA submit a report regarding whether Ms. Carroll's sister should remain guardian of the wards' persons and Ms. Carroll must submit a complete accounting report to the Court no later than July 1, 2015. -cmk
Order Signed: 06/17/2015
[/quote]

When you consider the time that has elapsed between the commission of this crime and the actual trial I have no doubt that Mr. Larkin will raise the issue that his 6th amendment rights have been violated.

Speedy Trial

The Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees all persons accused of criminal wrongdoing the right to a speedy trial. Although this right is derived from the federal Constitution, it has been made applicable to state criminal proceedings through the U.S. Supreme Court's interpretation of the due process and Equal Protection Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The right to a speedy trial is an ancient liberty. During the reign of henry ii (1154–1189), the English Crown promulgated the Assize of Clarendon, a legal code comprised of 22 articles, one of which promised speedy justice to all litigants. In 1215 the Magna Charta prohibited the king from delaying justice to any person in the realm. Several of the charters of the American colonies protected the right to a speedy trial, as did most of the constitutions of the original 13 states.

The Founding Fathers intended the Speedy Trial Clause to serve two purposes. First, they sought to prevent defendants from languishing in jail for an indefinite period before trial. Pre-trial incarceration is a deprivation of liberty no less serious than post-conviction imprisonment. In some cases pretrial incarceration may be more serious because public scrutiny is often heightened, employment is commonly interrupted, financial resources are diminished, family relations are strained, and innocent persons are forced to suffer prolonged injury to reputation.

Second, the Founding Fathers sought to ensure a defendant's right to a fair trial. The longer the commencement of trial is postponed, the more likely it is that witnesses will disappear, memories will fade, and evidence will be lost or destroyed. Of course, both the prosecution and the defense are threatened by these dangers, but only the defendant's life, liberty, and property are at stake in a criminal proceeding.

The right to a speedy trial does not apply to every stage of a criminal case. It arises only after a person has been arrested, indicted, or otherwise formally accused of a crime by the government. Before the point of formal accusation, the government is under no Sixth Amendment obligation to investigate, accuse, or prosecute a defendant within a specific amount of time.

The U.S. Supreme Court has declined to draw a bright line separating permissible pre-trial delays from delays that are impermissibly excessive. Instead, the Court has developed a Balancing test in which the length of delay is just one factor to be considered when evaluating the merits of a speedy trial claim. The other factors to be considered by a court include the reason for the delay, the severity of prejudice suffered by the defendant from the delay, and the stage during the criminal proceedings at which the defendant asserted the right to a speedy trial.

A delay of at least one year in bringing a defendant to trial following arrest will trigger a presumption that the Sixth Amendment has been violated, with the level of judicial scrutiny increasing in direct proportion to the length of delay. A longer delay may be deemed constitutional, however, and a shorter delay may be deemed unconstitutional, depending on the circumstances.

Longer delays will be permitted to accommodate the schedules of important witnesses, and to allow the prosecution to prepare for a complex case. Longer delays will also be tolerated when a defendant is dilatory in asserting the right to a speedy trial. In general, defendants must assert their Sixth Amendment right in a timely motion before the trial court. If the defendant fails to assert the right in this manner or acquiesces in the face of protracted pretrial delays, she or he may not raise the issue for the first time on appeal, unless the defendant's failure to raise the issue earlier was due to her or his attorney's Negligence. Defendants who delay prosecution by inundating the trial court with frivolous pretrial motions are also treated as having forfeited their rights to a speedy trial. The law does not allow defendants to profit from their own wrong under these circumstances.

Delays shorter than a year will be ruled unconstitutional if the reason for delay offered by the prosecution is unpersuasive or inappropriate. Delays attributable to prosecutorial misconduct, such as the deliberate attempt by the government to delay a proceeding and hamper the defense, will run afoul of the Speedy Trial Clause. Prosecutorial negligence, such as misplacing a defendant's file or losing incriminating evidence, is also considered an inappropriate reason for delay. Additionally, delays shorter than a year will be deemed unconstitutional when the delay has severely limited the opportunity for the accused to defend himself. For example, the death of an alibi witness who would have been available for a timely trial is considered Prima Facie evidence of prejudice under the Speedy Trial Clause.

Despite the strictures of the Speedy Trial Clause, criminal justice has not always moved swiftly in the United States. During the 1970s federal courts had backlogs of thousands of cases on their dockets. Lengthy pretrial delays clogged local jails at great expense to taxpayers. Increasing numbers of defendants were jumping bail while free during extended pretrial release. In 1974 Congress enacted the Speedy Trial Act (18 U.S.C.A. §§ 3161 et seq.) to ameliorate the situation.

Unlike the balancing test created by the Supreme Court to evaluate a claim under the Speedy Trial Clause, the Speedy Trial Act establishes specific time limits between various stages of federal criminal proceedings. The act requires federal authorities to file an information or indictment within 30 days of a defendant's arrest. A prosecutor who knows that an accused is incarcerated at the time of indictment must take immediate steps to initiate prosecution. If a defendant enters a plea of not guilty, trial must commence within 70 days from the filing of the information or indictment or 70 days from the first appearance of the accused in court, whichever is later.

Certain types of delays are exempted from the act's time limitations. For example, the act exempts delays caused by the absence of the defendant, the unavailability of an essential witness, or the conduct of a codefendant. Delays resulting from a defendant's involvement in other legal proceedings are typically exempted as well. Additionally, the act gives courts discretion to grant the prosecution a Continuance in the interests of justice. Courts are also given discretion to dismiss charges when a defendant suffers prejudice from a pretrial delay that is of a kind not exempted under the act.

The Speedy Trial Act has been held to apply to both citizens and non-citizens alike. See United States v. Restrepo, 59 F. Supp. 2d 133 (D. Mass. 1999). However, since the September 11th Attacks in 2001, the United States has sought to enhance the abilities of immigration officials and other law enforcement officers to prevent further terrorist attacks. Under the USA PATRIOT Act of 2001, Pub. L. No. 107-56, 115 Stat. 272, the attorney general may certify a non-citizen as a terrorist if reasonable grounds exist to believe that the non-citizen has been engaged in terrorist activities. If the attorney general certifies the non-citizen as a terrorist, the act mandates the detention of the non-citizen. If the terrorist is deemed to be a threat to national security, or if emergency or other extraordinary circumstances are present, the federal government may detain the person for six months or longer. Accordingly, a suspected terrorist could be detained for a significant period of time without criminal charges or deportation proceedings brought against the suspect.

Many state jurisdictions have passed legislation similar to the Speedy Trial Act. Like the federal act, most state legislation permits courts to provide prosecutors with additional time upon a showing of exceptional circumstances. Most state laws also authorize courts to dismiss charges that have not been brought within a reasonable amount of time following arrest or indictment. Thus, these defendants faced with an unreasonable pretrial delay have a number of constitutional and statutory provisions that may provide them with effective relie
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
hrw   Possible Fatal Shooting in Long Beach?   Dec 11 2012, 10:06 PM
Tim   Anyone hear anything? Did you?   Dec 11 2012, 11:22 PM
mcstumper   The paper listed the address of the shooting as 29...   Dec 12 2012, 07:28 AM
Southsider2k12   http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...e9e7b...   Dec 12 2012, 12:58 PM
Southsider2k12   http://victimsnewsonline.wordpress.com/201...or-qu...   Dec 12 2012, 02:39 PM
Ang   Why do they even write stuff like that? "We ...   Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
Southsider2k12   ALCO is reporting that the News Dispatch named Joh...   Dec 13 2012, 03:16 PM
Job   ALCO is reporting that the News Dispatch named Jo...   Dec 14 2012, 09:31 AM
Southsider2k12   He was one of a couple of hot heads who ran for t...   Dec 14 2012, 02:31 PM
Southsider2k12   http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...62c1f...   Dec 14 2012, 02:31 PM
Job   It sounds like the prosecutor does not understand ...   Dec 15 2012, 07:34 AM
Tim   I don't get it. It says the gun went off ...   Dec 17 2012, 07:30 AM
ChickenCityRoller   I don't get it. It says the gun went off ...   Dec 17 2012, 12:10 PM
Tim   I searched this page for the word accident or acc...   Dec 17 2012, 03:35 PM
ChickenCityRoller   Szilagyi said it appears Stacey Larkin retrieved ...   Dec 17 2012, 04:16 PM
Tim   I wasn't trying to be a smart A$$, ...   Dec 17 2012, 09:52 PM
Job   I hope this case isn't screwed up by the count...   Dec 17 2012, 12:48 PM
ChickenCityRoller   I hope this case isn't screwed up by the coun...   Dec 17 2012, 02:30 PM
Job   A couple of articles have referred to "multip...   Dec 17 2012, 07:22 PM
Tim   From the News Dispatch - On Thursday, La Porte C...   Dec 18 2012, 03:12 AM
Southsider2k12   I would guess the idea is that it was an accident ...   Dec 18 2012, 08:16 AM
Tim   I would guess the idea is that it was an accident...   Dec 18 2012, 03:35 PM
Job   I would think if it really was an accident after ...   Dec 21 2012, 06:43 PM
Andrea   I would guess the idea is that it was an accident...   Jan 3 2013, 04:40 PM
Southsider2k12   I know several women who knew Stacey personally ...   Jan 3 2013, 06:45 PM
Job   I appreciate the information. Like I said, I don...   Jan 3 2013, 07:21 PM
Ang   Or the weapon was fully automatic?   Dec 18 2012, 09:16 AM
ChickenCityRoller   Or the weapon was fully automatic? I would be w...   Dec 22 2012, 09:10 AM
Ang   I would be willing to bet almost anything it wasn...   Dec 22 2012, 12:41 PM
Job   That was my sarcasm coming through ;) I am surp...   Dec 22 2012, 08:09 PM
Job   I am surprised that John did not claim that he ...   Dec 27 2012, 07:04 PM
Andrea   This whole thing stinks to high heaven to me. Mul...   Jan 3 2013, 04:33 PM
Tim   This whole thing stinks to high heaven to me. Mu...   Jan 3 2013, 05:53 PM
Southsider2k12   Excellent post. What I find appalling is A) the ...   Jan 4 2013, 09:54 AM
dejahthoris78   ' True story. One of my college roommates wa...   Jan 17 2013, 05:57 PM
Job   Since he is out of Jail and free and Stacey canno...   Jan 17 2013, 08:14 PM
Tim   Since he is out of Jail and free and Stacey canno...   Jan 17 2013, 10:15 PM
Job   So he murdered his wife and he's going around...   Feb 22 2013, 01:58 PM
Southsider2k12   Did this guy get off yet? If I saw the headline...   Feb 22 2013, 02:01 PM
Job   If I saw the headline right, he now has a trial d...   Feb 22 2013, 09:25 PM
Job   I just discovered that the trial date has been se...   Oct 31 2013, 06:28 PM
Ang   Welcome to the Board Andrea! Lets all hope jus...   Jan 3 2013, 05:01 PM
Disappointed   Can't believe the trial has been postponed aga...   Mar 29 2014, 07:14 AM
Disappointed   Well it's 2 years today and this guy is still ...   Dec 11 2014, 10:37 AM
Job   Well it's 2 years today and this guy is still...   Dec 11 2014, 07:26 PM
Southsider2k12   Accused killer John Larkin of Long Beach is filing...   Dec 15 2014, 06:53 PM
Groucho   Accused killer John Larkin of Long Beach is filin...   Dec 16 2014, 04:01 PM
Southsider2k12   http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-...lice...   Dec 16 2014, 04:39 PM
Southsider2k12   I truly expected to see the story about the Larkin...   Dec 17 2014, 02:49 PM
Mike D   I truly expected to see the story about the Larki...   Apr 25 2016, 11:02 AM
Franklin   I too am alarmed by this. It goes beyond incompet...   Apr 25 2016, 12:06 PM
Disappointed   I care about civil rights. However, I care about ...   Apr 26 2016, 05:36 AM
Lake Shore Drive   Amen to that Franklin,like I stated earlier 2 peo...   Apr 26 2016, 10:16 AM
Disappointed   The guy seems completely nuts. Talk to him for 5 ...   Apr 26 2016, 12:43 PM
Lake Shore Drive   What kind of evil and vile things is he saying ab...   Apr 26 2016, 01:18 PM
Disappointed   It's probably better that they don't know...   Apr 26 2016, 01:19 PM
Disappointed   How bad is it ? I know Stacey and her family it ...   Apr 27 2016, 08:31 AM
Blazer   I know Stacey and her family it would be nice to ...   Apr 27 2016, 09:20 AM
Disappointed   Please don't taint her memory by spreading he...   Apr 28 2016, 09:04 AM
Franklin   I agree Blazer, I think people should be saying w...   May 2 2016, 09:16 AM
Disappointed   I am amazed that this person files a civil law sui...   Dec 18 2014, 10:30 AM
Disappointed   I would like to know how this guy can be paying fo...   Dec 30 2014, 01:21 PM
Job   I would like to know how this guy can be paying f...   Mar 3 2015, 09:42 AM
Disappointed   What is the latest about Larkin? As far as I kno...   Mar 10 2015, 12:28 PM
Disappointed   Still waiting for a decsion from the court on his ...   Aug 25 2015, 11:02 AM
Disappointed   Still waiting for a decsion from the court on his...   Sep 30 2015, 11:34 AM
Southsider2k12   Looks like the Court of Appeals ruled on his appe...   Sep 30 2015, 12:42 PM
Tim   Thanks for the update. The Court doc can be foun...   Oct 1 2015, 09:35 PM
Disappointed   Man - that thing reads like stereo instructions. ...   Oct 21 2015, 10:01 AM
Mike D   i think this is what you are looking for http://l...   Nov 18 2015, 07:47 AM
Mike D   court date set for 10 December 2015 - judge aleviz...   Nov 18 2015, 08:38 AM
Disappointed   Looks like the Judge reclused himself from the ca...   Jan 7 2016, 06:08 AM
Disappointed   Looks like the Judge reclused himself from the c...   Feb 8 2016, 10:47 AM
Mike D   I have written under another topic, but he's w...   Feb 10 2016, 04:54 PM
Disappointed   I have written under another topic, but he's ...   Feb 11 2016, 10:22 AM
Disappointed   Well it looks like the Judge in Porter County did ...   Feb 26 2016, 06:41 AM
The Aunt   Is this Indiana's Wheel of Fortune they spin ...   Feb 29 2016, 12:34 PM
Disappointed   For the people that are following this case,let be...   Apr 13 2016, 09:55 AM
Groucho   For the people that are following this case,let b...   Apr 13 2016, 02:52 PM
Disappointed   This guy has to be politically connected some how...   Apr 14 2016, 05:41 AM
Franklin   Well I know he has had many failed businesses,it ...   Apr 22 2016, 10:54 AM
Disappointed   I think there was a pretrial hearing yesterday, 4...   Apr 25 2016, 05:58 AM
Franklin   I heard it was canceled and rescheduled for May 3...   Apr 25 2016, 08:26 AM
Disappointed   Ok here is an update from what I know on the case ...   May 4 2016, 05:29 AM
Franklin   Ok here is an update from what I know on the case...   May 4 2016, 11:28 AM
Disappointed   I'll definitely be at the trial. I want to se...   May 4 2016, 11:33 AM
Justice4   Thanks Franklin,please spread the word so people ...   May 12 2016, 08:56 AM
Disappointed   Well from what I know,look like thee is still a pr...   May 12 2016, 09:39 AM
Franklin   Well from what I know,look like thee is still a p...   May 13 2016, 09:16 AM
Disappointed   I just hope it goes to trial and everything that h...   May 16 2016, 09:01 AM
Disappointed   Just a reminder there is another pre-trial hearing...   May 23 2016, 10:55 AM
Franklin   Just a reminder there is another pre-trial hearin...   Jun 3 2016, 02:50 PM
Disappointed   Does anyone know what resulted from the pretrial ...   Jun 7 2016, 05:17 AM
Franklin   I know it was a long 3 1/2 hour court date with n...   Jun 7 2016, 10:46 AM
Disappointed   Thanks, Disappointed! I think that anybody wi...   Jun 8 2016, 05:10 AM
Southsider2k12   The guy seems completely nuts. Talk to him for 5 ...   Jun 8 2016, 03:42 PM
Recused   I am not quite sure what is going on, but as the ...   Jun 8 2016, 04:49 PM
Groucho   06/17/2015 Order Issued The Court has made addtio...   Jun 9 2016, 04:01 PM
The Aunt   It is official Judge from Pulaski County dismisse...   Jun 9 2016, 08:50 PM
Southsider2k12   I am really sad to hear that. The crappy thing of...   Jun 9 2016, 09:34 PM
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >

Reply to this topicStart new topic
18 User(s) are reading this topic (18 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com