Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harding's job safe likely until at least 2010
Southsider2k12
post Dec 5 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

This is the worst possible thing for the MCAS. Take note of the 4 people who voted to extent him, and make sure to make your vote heard next time their seats come up for re-election.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=7303

Harding Keeps His Job, On A 4-3 Vote
Superintendent not notified of non-renewal, contract extended for year.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Last week, 98 percent of the teachers said they have no confidence in the Michigan City Area School superintendent.

On Tuesday, however, four school board members - in effect - voted to extend his contract to June of 2010.

According to Indiana law, if a superintendent is not notified of non-renewal by Dec. 31, his contract automatically extends for another year. Before Tuesday's vote, Harding's contract was set to expire on June 30, 2009.

On Tuesday, members Jim Kintzele, Beryle Burgwald and Clyde Zeek voted for non-renewal while Rick Carlson, Kathy Lee, Nathaniel Gipson and board president Jeff Jones voted against the motion for non-renewal made by Kintzele.

Essentially, they voted to renew the contract.

After the meeting, Harding said he was pleased.

"I do not want to be in the position of buying out a contract," Kintzele said, referring to what would happen should the board allow the contract to be renewed and later decide to fire a superintendent.

He said he remains disappointed at Harding's decision not to move to the community.

Zeek, who added a second to the motion, made no comments about Harding's performance.

"I gave my information during his evaluation," he said.

On Nov. 29, 98 percent of the 467 certified staff passed a vote of no confidence.

On that day, Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, said teachers are disappointed in what they see as Harding's lack of leadership, lack of communication and lack of support or caring for employees.

"We made our statement with the vote of no confidence," Stark said Tuesday.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dseder berg@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 5 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

I said basically the same thing in Soundoff.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 5 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #3

The poll of the day at the ND asks if the MCAS school board made the right decesion regarding Hardings contract... It is 92% to 8% in favor of "no"
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Too bad there is not a choice for

HELL NO!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 5 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 5 2007, 02:26 PM) *

The poll of the day at the ND asks if the MCAS school board made the right decesion regarding Hardings contract... It is 92% to 8% in favor of "no"

But...was this the same thing as the mayoral primary polls, when people flooded them and altered the actual results?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #6

Probably to some extent, JH, but it does show which way the motivated responders lean, which is how primaries work.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 7 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=43171.82

Harding's Contract
School Board Extends It Another Year

Editorial

It's too bad one more school board member didn't have the courage to do the right thing and vote to not renew Superintendent Michael Harding's contract.

It is becoming increasing clear that Harding's unwillingness to live in this school district, his aloof style and his perceived disdain for teachers is becoming an anchor holding back educational progress.

Harding isn't committed to Michigan City schools, either, judging by the fact that he has applied for jobs elsewhere.

On a 4-3 vote Tuesday night, the Michigan City Area Schools Board essentially voted to extend Harding's contract through June 30, 2010.

By state law, if a school superintendent isn't notified by Dec. 31 that his contract isn't being renewed, the renewal for an extra year becomes automatic. Board member James Kintzele made the motion to not renew Harding's contract, which was supported by Clyde Zeek and Beryle Burgwald. Voting in support of Harding were board President Jeff Jones, Rick Carlson, Kathy Lee and Nathaniel Gipson.

Kintzele said he made the motion so that if the board decides in the future to fire Harding, it won't be saddled with buying out an additional year of his contract. "I do not want to be in the position of buying out a contract," said Kintzele.

Tuesday's board decision flies in the face of a 98 percent no confidence vote in Harding's leadership that was taken by teachers. The vote, said Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, was based on what teachers see as Harding's lack of communication and lack of support for employees.

The growing animosity between teachers and the administration has manifested itself in bitter contract negotiations. Teachers have been working without a labor contract all year and thus far it appears that little, if any, progress is being made toward a new contract.

The Michigan City School Board had an opportunity Tuesday to send a strong message that they expected more from the administration. Instead, they decided that the status quo was good enough.

It's not.

Our Opinion
The Issue: The school board voted 4-3 to reject an attempt to not extend the superintendent's contract another year.

Our Opinion: By the narrowest margin, School Superintendent Michael Harding got a vote of confidence fromt the board. We don't think the status quo is good enough.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 7 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47507.28

Expect More Poor Results With Harding
I just never seem to be amazed how politics works in Michigan City. There really is no common sense in La Porte County politics - none.

It wasn't too long ago that the school board was upset with [Superintendent Michael] Harding (again) and we give him an option for another year? If morale is low it's a good indication you will get subpar results. The people in charge can't make tough decisions. That is why this community will struggle with just small tasks. The tail doesn't wag the dog except in Michigan City, Indiana.

The school board members who voted for Harding need to resign. Give him his severance package and move him down the road. If the teachers don't respect their leader then the poor results will continue. It's just common sense, but there isn't too much of that in La Porte County, period.

Michigan City's educational system cannot afford three more years of the Harding controversy. Business looks at the schools, people, they really don't make their decisions based on your beaches.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 7 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #9

^$^&$%^*&(*)(_)^$%$^*(, I agree.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
adele115
post Dec 8 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 678

Let's see -

-A vote of no confidence by 98% of faculty for failure to lead, communicate, and support
-No contract, yet, in December
-No real solutions to behavior problems except farming out to madison center for a few months then back in the system again
-numerus high school behavior and academic problems for all outside the honors class
-No school calendar till the last minute
-good teachers quit like band and military because of understaffing
-Applies for other jobs, doesn't live in town
-trips to china to "explore" chinese langauge class while most kids barely speak English properly, let alone add and subtract
-Funds more administrators and less classroom support

Hey, let's extend his contract!

Me smells corruption at the school board - let's check who is getting perks....
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 9 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #11

What an excellent summary of the current situation. Way to connect the dots! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Marram
post Dec 9 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

It is my impression that many people are afraid a change at the top will simply destabilize the situation. As if it isn’t already unstable. In my opinion, the Chamber of Commerce is an example of an organization taking that stance. They are so focused on the strategic plan that they would rather see Harding stay, even with his baggage, than bring in another Superintendent who might not be as committed to that plan. When the Chamber released their endorsements for School Board Candidates in '06, their stated emphasis was "1.) support for the Strategic Plan" and "2.) desire and ability to build a consensus to further the implementation of the Strategic Plan." Those were the first two out of the three criteria they listed.

Jeff Jones, the current School Board President, former Chamber Chairman, Chamber appointee to the MCEDC, and core team member (I think) of the MCAS Strategic Plan, is the personification of the Chamber on that Board. He was, by the way, the only one of the four candidates who the Chamber endorsed that won. Look at how he voted with regard to Harding's contract and the sway he has as president of the School Board.

Here is a good question: why did Kathy Lee, self-proclaimed "pro-teacher" Board Member, vote to keep Harding? There is your swing vote right there.

The crux of this issue is the plain and simple truth that any strategic plan is only as good as the leader behind it. And that leader has got to be a superintendent who is effective, energetic, charismatic, and dedicated. Our superintendent does not appear to be any of those things. The change is going to have to be made, and the sooner the better.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
kharris
post Dec 9 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

This seems to be just another example of status quo thinking in M.C. As my campaign for city council began last March with participation in the Chamber Forums, it was evident that a nice little coalition existed between the Chamber, City Hall and the Schools.

That is why we saw the "appointees" in Marc Espar, Tom Thomas and Bob McKee running to remove the apparent obstacles to the coalitions plans to focus onlyon those plans approved by the administration. Thank goodness we will still see opposition to counter this coalition in Angie and Phil Jankowski.

As far as the school situation goes, I have long advocated that the Superintendent should be hired from within the community. Not only do we have many who are qualified, we need someone who has a vested interest in the community and the school system. Unfortunately, state law prohibits residency as a requirement. But I do think we would fare much better with a local who cares about the community.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #14

Nice post Mr Harris. I think the very first question we need to have asked is "Are you willing to work with the community, and how has your past history shown that?".

We need someone who can relate to the community, even if they aren't from here. Michael Harding has never shown any ability to even want to relate to Michigan City. Even a mediocre adminstrator could come in here and do a much better job if he was willing to try to step in and work with the people at large.

As for the Strategic Plan, I am still a big believer in it, as it came from the community at large. To me that is the most important feature of the plan. But to think that Harding is supporting that plan is a joke. To emphasize this point, I have one simple question... Does anyone feel that communications are any better over the last two plus years since the Strategic Plan was passed?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 10 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #15

The main point I picked up on in the few prev posts is the discomfort of change, especially fear that the Strategic Plan will be dumped by a new superintendant. This is a case where the Chamber is retarding the development and growth of the City and area.

Why not make some kind of comittment to the SP part of the interview process? That should firm up some of the weak-kneed.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
adele115
post Dec 10 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 678

Unfortunately, the implementation of a "strategy" is only as good as the leadership. The current administration and some building administrators are more interested in making things look good and active (more meetings, memos, etc) than actually doing good things. The high school needs: study or or resource periods (teachers teach 6 periods a day, students have 7, no time for studying or getting help), an alternative school within or external to the school for those funkins who cannot cope with normal school, teacher supervisin and/or mentoring program (everyone's left on their own to sink or swim), additional staff to deal with all the needs of the community. Doing this doesn't require more meetings and lists - just do it.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 10 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

ohmy.gif You mean you want them to take action and DO something...not just a study?! (pls note the sarcasm)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 11 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #18

Personally I think we need a study to decide if we need another study done.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 11 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 11 2007, 08:36 AM) *

Personally I think we need a study to decide if we need another study done.

Perhaps another administrator is also needed to make that decision. Got a spare $80,000 laying around?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 11 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Dec 11 2007, 09:46 AM) *

Perhaps another administrator is also needed to make that decision. Got a spare $80,000 laying around?

For $80,000 I think I have a resume laying around... ph34r.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:52 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com