IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gentlemen's Strip Club wants to locate on U.S. 421 south of I-94, Close proximity to Coolspring Elementary
Ang
post Nov 17 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #41

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

My sister worked in a Gentleman's club. She used the money she made to pay for school and buy things she would not otherwise have been able to afford. She met & married a wonderful man, has two beautiful children, lives in a $400K house and drives a Lexus. She was not required to have sex with men while she danced, and as a matter of fact, there were body guards to protect her from sleazy men. She danced. That was all. There was nothing dirty about what she did and she ended up becoming a very successful person.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 17 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #42

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 17 2011, 06:00 PM) *

My sister worked in a Gentleman's club. She used the money she made to pay for school and buy things she would not otherwise have been able to afford. She met & married a wonderful man, has two beautiful children, lives in a $400K house and drives a Lexus. She was not required to have sex with men while she danced, and as a matter of fact, there were body guards to protect her from sleazy men. She danced. That was all. There was nothing dirty about what she did and she ended up becoming a very successful person.

Was she a stripper?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 2

Getting past the unwinnable argument here, I do want to say one thing... THIS proves what YOUR participation does count in the community. The reason this proposal was defeated is because a lot of people got upset and did something about it. Whether it was attending the meeting, calling officials, or signing the petition, people stepped to the plate and made their voices heard.

So next time a person tells you that it doesn't matter what they think in Michigan City, point to this sequence of events, and tell them that if people care, things get done.

Now we as Cityzens have a lot of other things to get upset about to move our community forward.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 10 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #44

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

It appears now that Mr. Burys is trying to buy another piece of land for the same type of business off of U.S. 35 near the I-94 exit 40 in addition to still having his suit filed to start up at U.S. 421. Sounds like he wants to have two clubs in La Porte county.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 13 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #45

Really Comfortable

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...83043737095.txt

Second site pursued for gentleman's club

By Matt Fritz
For The News-Dispatch

Published: Friday, January 13, 2012 5:08 PM CST

LA PORTE — A Chicago-based businessman trying to open a gentlemen’s club in Michigan City now hopes to get a variance for one in Springfield Township.

John Burys of Phoenix Enterprises America has filed a petition for a variance to operate a gentlemen’s club at 5906 N. U.S. 35 in Springfield Township. The petition was filed along with Richard Loniewski and Shirley St. Arnaud.

The petition will be heard and determined at a public hearing at 6 p.m. Jan. 17 in the County Complex assembly room (first floor lobby). Interested people may attend and remonstrate. Any written remonstrances may be filed prior to and up to the time of the hearing.

The La Porte County Board of Zoning Appeals unanimously voted Nov. 15 to deny Burys’ variance request for a gentleman’s club at 3205 N. U.S. 421. Board members referenced several incidents and collisions at County Road 300N and U.S. 421. Also, board members said they had to consider Coolspring Elementary School, Purdue University-North Central, Patriot Park and Reins of Life, all of which are within fairly close proximity to the location.

Later, Burys filed a complaint against La Porte County and the La Porte County Board of Zoning Appeals for denying the request.

The plaintiffs said the variance denial “purports to totally exclude adult businesses from any location in the jurisdiction.” They allege the denial went against First Amendment rights that protect expression.

“This legislation prohibits the establishment or operation of any commercial venture meeting the definition of ‘adult entertainment’ which ultimately imposes restrictions and prohibitions on First Amendment protected expression,” according to the complaint.

Burys’ attorney, David Ambers, said his client is still pursuing his federal lawsuit against the county, but since county officials told him he might get approval if he found a better location for the gentlemen’s club, he is pursuing a variance on the second property as well to cover his bases.

+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jan 13 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

If that's as close as Mr. Burys comes to Michigan City, I would be ok with it.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 13 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #47

Really Comfortable

I don't see how anybody can stop this one. This location seems to meet all the criteria needed to open an establishment such as this. It's going to be very near the newly proposed Michigan Boulevard Truck stop. Just don't expect me to ever patronize the place.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 14 2012, 05:23 AM
Post #48

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Where is this exactly?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 14 2012, 10:06 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 14 2012, 05:23 AM) *

Where is this exactly?

Just past where 35 breaks away from 20 on the extreme east end of town. Looks to be just past where Serenity Springs is now.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jan 14 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 1,048

Exactly where people who opposed the truck stop were worried that "unsavory businesses" would crop up. It almost makes me wonder if the first location was a ruse.

It's like asking for $5, getting turned down, and asking for $1 instead. People in this area have already show their "weakness" by not being able to oppose the truck stop, so maybe this will fly through.

Hearing's in a week.. guess we'll see then.

+Quote Post
southyards
post Jan 14 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 11 2011, 06:13 PM) *

A truck stop is loads better than a strip club.

“Adult” stores and truck stops kinda go together. Case in point. . . . The Lion’s Den Adult Superstore (built in 2001), across the street from the large truck stop at the Sawyer, MI exit of I-94. If an “adult” store does go through near Michigan City, one is not obligated to patronize it. (Just like patronizing the truck stop is optional). Unfortunately, I can’t see any way that these establishments would do anything but make a bad traffic situation in that area worse than it alreasy is. . . . .
+Quote Post
southyards
post Jan 14 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(southyards @ Jan 14 2012, 02:59 PM) *

“Adult” stores and truck stops kinda go together. Case in point. . . . The Lion’s Den Adult Superstore (built in 2001), across the street from the large truck stop at the Sawyer, MI exit of I-94. If an “adult” store does go through near Michigan City, one is not obligated to patronize it. (Just like patronizing the truck stop is optional). Unfortunately, I can’t see any way that these establishments would do anything but make a bad traffic situation in that area worse than it alreasy is. . . . .

Ooops. Should read "than it ALREADY is". Sorry about that. . . .
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 14 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jan 14 2012, 11:49 AM) *

Exactly where people who opposed the truck stop were worried that "unsavory businesses" would crop up. It almost makes me wonder if the first location was a ruse.

It's like asking for $5, getting turned down, and asking for $1 instead. People in this area have already show their "weakness" by not being able to oppose the truck stop, so maybe this will fly through.

Hearing's in a week.. guess we'll see then.

Unfortunately this is in the county so City has no say, again.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jan 15 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jan 14 2012, 04:43 PM) *

Unfortunately this is in the county so City has no say, again.

The location may be in the county (just like the last proposed location) but I believe it is close enough to city limits that I would hope our city leaders would say something in an attempt to discourage it.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 15 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #55

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 15 2012, 12:11 PM) *

The location may be in the county (just like the last proposed location) but I believe it is close enough to city limits that I would hope our city leaders would say something in an attempt to discourage it.

They would most likely be on well and septic as opposed to city water and sewer, that would be to only reason I could think of for the BZA in denying this location.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jan 15 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 1,048

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 15 2012, 02:22 PM) *

They would most likely be on well and septic as opposed to city water and sewer, that would be to only reason I could think of for the BZA in denying this location.

Go do some research on extending city water to Springfield Township, and see who's on the "for" side of the issue. It's been an interesting topic out here.

+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jan 16 2012, 05:43 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 15 2012, 02:22 PM) *

I believe there is already a sewer out there. The sewer which was put in to service Indian Springs subdivision.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 16 2012, 09:00 AM
Post #58

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 15 2012, 12:11 PM) *

I don't think a bunch of people saying "We don't like strip clubs" is going to be enough to stop this from going in.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jan 16 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 16 2012, 09:00 AM) *

I don't think a bunch of people saying "We don't like strip clubs" is going to be enough to stop this from going in.

I don't believe it will either ... in fact I believe the County BZA will have to approve at some time or another, wheter in this location or another. I just think it would be a nice "gesture" so to speak, to know/hear our city's leaders expressing their disapproval ... provided they do disapprove.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 17 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #60

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 16 2012, 09:07 AM) *

I don't believe it will either ... in fact I believe the County BZA will have to approve at some time or another, wheter in this location or another. I just think it would be a nice "gesture" so to speak, to know/hear our city's leaders expressing their disapproval ... provided they do disapprove.

It would be very nice, but in many cases I wouldn't hold my breath. Honestly they are probably scared of getting sued,
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:32 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com