> Two rescued from Lake
Southsider2k12
post May 12 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/Good..._121680484.html

Tuesday marked only the second 80-degree day of the year for Michiana. The warmer temps meant more people on the water and led to Southwest Michigan’s first water rescue of the summer season.

It all unfolded a half-mile out on Lake Michigan near New Buffalo after two men fell out of their canoe around 3 p.m. Tuesday.

What followed were dramatic moments in bitterly cold water that no one else witnessed. Then one of the men used every ounce of strength he had left to yell. It was a decision that saved both of their lives.

"That’s what I heard, somebody calling for help,” David Handley recalled.

The men’s motor skills had dissipated in the 52 degree water. So Handley lowered his ladder and pulled them on board.

""They were dazed, they were barely functional. So I took these towels and wrapped them around the two guys’ shoulders,” Handley added.

Handley then radioed for help, contacting the US Coast Guard station in Michigan City. There crews scrambled to a specialized watercraft, but because they were ten miles away, they arrived thirty minutes after the rescue was complete.

"What if I hadn't been there? What if? They would not have survived, there's no question in my mind,” Handley said sternly.

This early in the summer boating season, there are few boats on the Lake Michigan waters. It just happened Handley had the day off work and was enjoying a relaxing afternoon on his boat.

"Anybody that's not familiar to Lake Michigan could learn from this story. It’s rough; there are rip currents and temperatures issues. If you’re not prepared to address them, you need to be careful,” Handley concluded.

The most basic rule is to always wear a life preserver when you're in open water, something these men did not do.

In fact, it's a federal law to have one flotation device for every person on-board any vessel, whether it’s a yacht or your most basic canoe.

Coast Guard officials say the men were physically exhausted and near severe hypothermic levels after being pulled from the water. Both have since recovered and are doing fine.

Because there were mild seas at the time of the incident, it’s believed the two men leaned to the side at the same time and tipped their canoe.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:45 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com