post Apr 12 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../12/news/n4.txt

Caucus fills 1st Ward seat

By Amanda Haverstick, The News-Dispatch
A man who sought the 1st Ward Michigan City Common Council seat during the 2003 primary now will serve as its interim representative.

Angelo Corley Sr. won Wednesday's caucus for the seat, defeating Lynne Kaser by one vote.

“I think it's going to be different,” Corley said. “I'm just going to try to do the best I can for the Michigan City residents.”

Former 1st Ward Councilman Chuck Lungren resigned last month after being arrested in Plymouth on his third drunk-driving charge in two years. Friends said he fled to California. When he failed to show up for his initial hearing, Marshall County prosecutors issued a felony warrant for Lungren for failure to appear in court.

Also seeking Lungren's post through the caucus were Richard Murphy, Lonny Fedder and Barbara Malewicki. Kaser and Murphy will vie for the seat in the May primary.

Rich Richey, the 1st Ward Democratic precinct committeemen, as well as T.C. Falls and Tony Metzcus, listened to the five candidates explain their platform before voting on the temporary replacement. Metzcus voted for Kaser. Falls and Richey voted for Corley.

Corley said he sees a lot in the ward not being done.

“I'm hearing all these master plans and everything, but I haven't heard anybody say anything about the people these master plans affect,” Corley said. “I thought that was part of the job as the common council, to work for the people, not for our own individual outlook.”

Fedder said he would put a resolution forward to prohibit use of fireworks on the beach during the summer, and support having a public walkway in the Trail Creek Corridor once Blocksom and Co. is acquired.

“I'd like to see the area in there be citizen-friendly,” Fedder said.

Malewicki said she would be accessible for residents.

“I would like to maintain the historical elements of our community,” she said.

Kaser said everything happening in the city is happening in the 1st Ward.

“I know what Michigan City was, I know what Michigan City is and I know what Michigan City can be. There are so many things going on in the 1st Ward right now, that's basically why I got involved,” Kaser said. “I want to see the planning and progression of Michigan City.”

Murphy, who owns a small business managing and rehabbing property, said he knows the challenges of doing business in the city.

“We're at a pivotal point in Michigan City,” Murphy said. “In the next four years, I believe we'll make decisions that will affect generations to come.”

LaPorte County Democratic Party Chairman Dr. Vidya Kora told The News-Dispatch last month he hoped Murphy and Kaser wouldn't file for the temporary seat.

Kora said having the two wait and vie for the nomination in the primary and allow someone who isn't running for the seat to fill it temporarily would allow the two to concentrate on the primary.

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 12 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am glad to see that one of the candidates did not win the temporary seat, but disappointed to see that one of the ward bosses did indeed vote for Kaser.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 12 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 12 2007, 01:24 PM) *

I am glad to see that one of the candidates did not win the temporary seat, but disappointed to see that one of the ward bosses did indeed vote for Kaser.

So was I...
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 12 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

I like Fedders thought about the walkway.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 11:35 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com