Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=16658

8/13/2008 10:14:00 AM
Dog Bites Boy's Lip Off

Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP - A 6-year-old Springfield Township boy might need plastic surgery after a dog bit his face, tearing his lip from his face.

"He came to the shed covered in blood and I was freaking out," said his mother, Diane Ott.

The family owns Stateline Blueberries along Indiana 39 near the Michigan state line. According to La Porte County Police, Gabriel and Margorzata Przybysz of Park Forest, Ill., had gone there with their children to pick blueberries and brought their pet Chihuahua. Most of the family members were out in the field while their son tied the dog on a leash to a picnic table, police said.

The boy told investigators he warned the victim, Owen Ott, not to pet the animal but he reached down to pet the dog and was bitten. Diane Ott said her son was actually on a bicycle.

The dog was on a retractable leash and jumped up, biting her son on the lip as he was riding by, she said, adding that the dog hung on to her son's lower lip momentarily before letting go.

Owen was taken to La Porte Hospital by his father and stitched up in the emergency room by a plastic surgeon. He was allowed to go home later in the night.

The doctor will decide whether plastic surgery is needed after the swelling goes down.

"The chunk was sticking out of his face. It looked horrible at the time but he's resting comfortably now," Diane Ott said.

The dog was taken to the La Porte County Small Animal Shelter, where it was placed under a standard quarantine to check for rabies. Police said the dog twice attempted to bite one of the animal shelter employees.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Aug 13 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

I love dogs, but I've never liked Chihuahuas. Nasty little beasties (though I have to admit I met one friendly one once, so that's one in about a hundred). I've never seen the attraction -- they look like a gene splicing experiment between dogs and rats that went horribly wrong.

I suppose it's just a matter of taste (and I'm not referring to the Aztec custom of using them for food).
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 13 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Dave I too am a "dog person" but share your sentiments about the Chihuahuha.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 13 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 3

Ay, caramba! Attention, Planet Earth: Do not pet strange dogs! Do not keep dogs who bite people! Stop inbreeding (both species)!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 13 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

Personal breed preferences aside, if you know your pet isn't friendly...be a responsible owner and leave them at home. It sounds like the owners knew this type of incident might potentially occur, and that the dog has been known to or might attempt to bite.
With that in mind, why bring the dog into a situation where something like this might occur?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 13 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #6

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 13 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Personal breed preferences aside, if you know your pet isn't friendly...be a responsible owner and leave them at home. It sounds like the owners knew this type of incident might potentially occur, and that the dog has been known to or might attempt to bite.
With that in mind, why bring the dog into a situation where something like this might occur?

Stupidity

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 15 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

It would be interesting to follow this case and see how the liability is resolved.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 15 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I'm sure the ND will never do a follow up on it.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:11 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com