IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Michigan City Pop Warner Football Thread, City's Youth Football Squads to Continue Winning Ways
taxthedeer
post Oct 1 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #41

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

No travel expenses would be great being all the issues that came up last year with $$$ not being accounted for!!!!!!!! blink.gif blink.gif

I have no clue about any unaccounted for $$$.

Here's the things I do know for a fact:
  • I know for a fact that each boys family was required to sell one book of port-a-pit chicken tickets for each player they and on a team to cover travel, hotel and meals for the final three rounds.
  • I know for a fact that some of the families has more than one kid playing football and therefore, had to sell more than one book of port-a-pit chicken tickets.
  • I know for a fact one of the grandma's (who is very well known on the local BINGO circuit) has a set of grandsons and a pair of great-nephews on the team that made it all the way to Florida. She took all of their books of port-a-pit chicken tickets to her place of work and to her BINGO nights at the Michigan City Moose and the Elks (we all know how big time BINGO is in Michigan City, we all also know that when there is a need for something such as this that members of clubs and organizations such the Moose and Elks are the ones that always step up). She sold old every one of their books plus another book for another one of the boy's dad. In fact, her younger grandson didn't even make the Florida trip, he had to stay here and go to school because he broke his right big toe in practice after their first game of the year and was out for the rest of the entire season.
  • I know for a fact other families also pitched in and sold multiple books of port-a-pit chicken tickets to cover other families obligation.
  • I know for a fact four families (luggage, football gear included) packed into a single Ford Econoline rental van and drove to and from Orlando because one of their fathers has a severe case of John Madden syndrome (deathly afriad of flying on an airplane), not naming any names but he drives a garbage truck.
  • I know for a fact that there was no way on earth I was getting into that van.
  • I know for a fact that I'm really stoked to have this in Michigan City in 2010.
  • I know for a fact that I made road to trips to and from Chesterton, Schererville (twice), Lowell, Merrillville, South Bend, Indianapolis and Detroit. Cost me personally $600.00 in fuel cost alone, after that me going to Florida was out.
  • I know for a fact that I don't have to get up at and leave the house at 4 am and drive to Indy and Motown to make an 8am kick-off.
  • I know for a fact that I'll never forget that day I went to Indy for the rest of my life. Attended the Carmel-Merrillville 5A semi-state game that Friday night. Left Michigan City at 4am the next morning, took in all three Michigan City Pop Warner games in Indianapolis, then stopped off that evening at the inferno in Lowell on my way back from Indy to watch the Fort Wayne Dwenger Saints - Lowell Red Devils 4A semi-state game, I did 5 football games in 24 hours.

Who are the players on this team that we can look forward to seeing on Friday nights in the future??

Get a roster.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 1 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 1 2010, 04:36 PM) *

I have no clue about any unaccounted for $$$.

Here's the things I do know for a fact:
  • I know for a fact that each boys family was required to sell one book of port-a-pit chicken tickets for each player they and on a team to cover travel, hotel and meals for the final three rounds.
  • I know for a fact that some of the families has more than one kid playing football and therefore, had to sell more than one book of port-a-pit chicken tickets.
  • I know for a fact one of the grandma's (who is very well known on the local BINGO circuit) has a set of grandsons and a pair of great-nephews on the team that made it all the way to Florida. She took all of their books of port-a-pit chicken tickets to her place of work and to her BINGO nights at the Michigan City Moose and the Elks (we all know how big time BINGO is in Michigan City, we all also know that when there is a need for something such as this that members of clubs and organizations such the Moose and Elks are the ones that always step up). She sold old every one of their books plus another book for another one of the boy's dad. In fact, her younger grandson didn't even make the Florida trip, he had to stay here and go to school because he broke his right big toe in practice after their first game of the year and was out for the rest of the entire season.
  • I know for a fact other families also pitched in and sold multiple books of port-a-pit chicken tickets to cover other families obligation.
  • I know for a fact four families (luggage, football gear included) packed into a single Ford Econoline rental van and drove to and from Orlando because one of their fathers has a severe case of John Madden syndrome (deathly afriad of flying on an airplane), not naming any names but he drives a garbage truck.
  • I know for a fact that there was no way on earth I was getting into that van.
  • I know for a fact that I'm really stoked to have this in Michigan City in 2010.
  • I know for a fact that I made road to trips to and from Chesterton, Schererville (twice), Lowell, Merrillville, South Bend, Indianapolis and Detroit. Cost me personally $600.00 in fuel cost alone, after that me going to Florida was out.
  • I know for a fact that I don't have to get up at and leave the house at 4 am and drive to Indy and Motown to make an 8am kick-off.
  • I know for a fact that I'll never forget that day I went to Indy for the rest of my life. Attended the Carmel-Merrillville 5A semi-state game that Friday night. Left Michigan City at 4am the next morning, took in all three Michigan City Pop Warner games in Indianapolis, then stopped off that evening at the inferno in Lowell on my way back from Indy to watch the Fort Wayne Dwenger Saints - Lowell Red Devils 4A semi-state game, I did 5 football games in 24 hours.

Get a roster.

I don't know much about what you just stated so I can't comment. I also don't know too much about many of the kids on the JRPW Blue team but I know a few of their Coaches. I think it's too early to start looking at H.S. expectations from these kids especially at 10 and 11 years old. I think it's great to have the playoffs in M.C. and it will be a good economic boost for the city.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 5 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #43

Really Comfortable

Final Week of the Regular season at Gill Field:

Saturday:

SOUTHLAKE TM 2 @ MICHIGAN CITY TM 1 1:00 PM
SOUTHLAKE TM 1 @ MICHIGAN CITY TM 2 2:00 PM
SOUTHLAKE JMM 2 @ MICHIGAN CITY JMM 1 3:00 PM
SOUTHLAKE JMM 1 @ MICHIGAN CITY JMM 2 4:30 PM

Sunday:

SOUTHLAKE MM2 @ MICHIGAN CITY MM 1 10:00 AM
TRITOWN JRPW 1 @ MICHIGAN CITY JRPW 1 11:30 AM
DUNELAND PW 2 @ MICHIGAN CITY PW 1 1:00 PM
VALPARAISO JR MID 1 @ MICHIGAN CITY JR MID 1 2:30 PM
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 6 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #44

Really Comfortable

Play-off brackets are out:

Division II

Jr. Pee Wee:
http://nipwls.com/pdfs/D2playoffJRPW.pdf

Pee Wee:
http://nipwls.com/pdfs/D2playoffPW.pdf

Jr. Midget:
http://nipwls.com/pdfs/D2playoffJM.pdf

Division III
Jr. Pee Wee:
http://nipwls.com/pdfs/D3playoffJRPW.pdf
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 7 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #45

Really Comfortable

Is this a good draw Tax? Should all four City teams make it to the finals at Ames?

Despite having to play in the first three rounds the Michigan City Division II Jr. Pee Wee squad has great odds of playing for and winning the league title on November 7, Right now the only team that can beat them are themselves, their coaching staff will have a challenge to fight overconfidence and will need to keep their core team members injury free. Beyond the league title game it's almost impossible to predict. I thought it was a real hoot that the two Valpo D-2 JPW teams drew each other in the preliminaries biggrin.gif

Tough draw for the Michigan City Jr. Midget team unless they pull off an upset. They took a 40-8 home loss against Tri-Town a couple weeks ago.

The Pee Wees have the week off in the preliminary round, they will face another stiff challenge in the league semi-final round when they travel to Schererville to most likely square off with Duneland (Chesterton) in the semi-final round, if they get by Duneland, they'll have another challenge to beat likely opponent Southlake (Lowell) in the title game at Ames.

You won't see Michigan City's Div. III Jr. Pee Wee team at Ames until the State championship round. They're a tough and gritty group of youngsters no doubt, but having to get through four rounds is qoing to be quite a daunting task.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 7 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #46

Really Comfortable

I made a full feature movie.

Win or Go Home: 2009 Michigan City Jr. Pee Wee Football

2 1/2 hours of game highlights, inspirational coach talk and championship victory celebration:

CLICK HERE
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 11 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #47

Really Comfortable

Michigan City Pop Warner closed the gate on another fine regular season this weekend at Gill Field.

Best of luck to all of City's lower tiered teams as they travel to their respective Bowl games this weekend.

Michigan City's Division II Jr. Pee Wee team will play Sunday at 1pm at Portage High School in their preliminary round match-up with their opponent from Michiana followed by Michigan City's Division III Jr. Pee Wee teams taking on Portage 2 at 3pm.

The Wolves Pee Wee and Jr. Midget squads will enjoy a bye week.

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 18 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #48

Really Comfortable

Pop Warner Update:

Another great weekend for Michigan City:

Congratulations to Michigan City Jr. Mitey Mite 1 in the 20-6 win in their bowl game against Gary at Boone Grove on Saturday to finish their season at a perfect 8-0.

Congratulations to Michigan City Mitey Mites 1 in their bowl game rout victory over Valpo at VHS on Saturday to finish their season at a perfect 8-0.

Congratulations to Michigan City Jr. Pee Wee 1 in their 38-0 romp over Michiana in their Division II preliminary round tounament game at Portage High School on Sunday to advance into the quarterfinals next Saturday.

Congratulations to Michigan City Jr. Pee Wee 2 in their 20-2 win over Portage in their Division III 1st round preliminary round game at Portage High School on Sunday to advance into the 2nd preliminary round next Saturday.

Also, there will be no Divison II state championship round games at Ames Field due no opponent available from central Indiana (I was told there was some discrepency in their financial ledgers). Northern Indiana Division II League Champions will have a bye that week and automatically qualify for sub-regional. Division III state championship games at Ames Field will still take place.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 18 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #49

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Let me add two more bits of great MC Pop Warner news:
Both Tiny Mite teams played very well this year! Although there is no score kept at this level, I can tell you that these kids are definitely following in the footsteps of the older players.

Tiny Mites Blue (where my son played & my husband coached), they would have only had one loss for the entire season (to Merrillville).

Not certain on the Tiny Mites Grey "record", but I do know that they really came together and played fantastically.

Great job, all!!

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 21 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #50

Really Comfortable

Here's Saturday's schedule: 10-23-10

Division II

Jr. Pee Wee: Southlake VS. Michigan City @ Tri-Town 8:30am- mad.gif
Pee Wee: Gary VS. Michigan City @ Portage 8:30am- mad.gif
Jr. Midget: Tri-Town VS. Michigan City @ Tri-Town 6:30pm

Division III

Jr. Pee Wee: Valpo 4 VS. Michigan City @ Portage 2:30pm

mad.gif - For scheduling the boys games at the exact same time in two different locations
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 28 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #51

Really Comfortable

Pop Warner Update:

It was somewhat of a bittersweet weekend as three Michigan City teams have advanced in the tourney and one has been eliminated.

Advancing to the Division II league/state semi-finals will be the Jr. Pee Wee 1 with their 36-6 win over Southlake and the Pee Wees with a 50-26 victory over the Gary Steelers.. Unfortunately the Jr. Midgets fell to Tri-Town 38-8 and were eliminated.

Also advancing also to the Division III quarterfinals were the Jr. Pee Wee 2 with their win over Valpo 4.

Here's the schedule for Halloween Day:

Sunday 10-31-10

Division II Semi-Finals

Pee Wee

1pm Duneland (Chesterton) VS. Michigan City @ Tri-Town (should be a very, very good game, N-D might want to cover this one)

Jr. Pee Wee

11am Duneland (Chesterton) VS. Michigan City @ Portage

Division III Quarterfinals

Jr. Pee Wee

11am Northlake (Hammond, East Chicago, Whiting) VS. Michigan City @ Merrillville

Here's a highlight video from the Pee Wee teams win over Gary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-PzD8mOQJw
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 31 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #52

Really Comfortable

Couple results from today:

Good news:

Division II

Jr. Pee Wees

Michigan City 28
Duneland (Chesterton) 0

Michigan City will play Portage next Sunday morning 9am @ Ames Field for the Jr. Pee Wee state championship and the right to advance to the Mid-America sub-regional, everybody be there!!!

Bad News:

Pee Wees

Duneland (Chesterton) 14
Michigan City 13 sad.gif

The Pee Wee state championship game between Duneland (Chesterton) & Southlake (Lowell) will take place next Sunday at Ames following the Jr. Pee Wee championship game at 11am.

Don't know the result of the Division III Jr. Pee Wee game involving Michigan City yet.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 1 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #53

Really Comfortable

Bad news for Michigan City's Jr. Pee Wee 2 squad:

Division III

Jr. Pee Wee

Northlake 33
Michigan City 0

Sunday's schedule @ Ames Field

Division II

9am Jr. Pee Wee - Portage VS. Michigan City

11am Pee Wee - Southlake (Lowell) VS. Duneland (Chesterton)

1pm Jr. Midget - Gary VS. Tri-Town

3pm Midget - Gary Vs. Boone Grove

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 7 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #54

Really Comfortable

Today was another great day in Michigan City sports history.

The Jr. Pee Wee team won the league and state championship trophy's with a 28-6 win over Portage to advance to the sub-regional at Ames Field on 11-20-10 @ 10am.

The Michigan City Mitey Mite also won their exhibition scrimmage against the previously undefeated Hoffman Estates Redhawks form Illinois in the nightcap.

Congratulations also to the Southlake (Lowell) Red Devils Pee Wees on winning the league/state titles with their 6-0 win over an outstanding Duneland (Chesterton) team. I've watched pretty much the same group of kids on both these teams battle our boys from Michigan City tooth and nail every year since 2007, all three (Southlake, Duneland and Michigan City) are worthy of being called champions.

Finally, kudos to WIMS for broadcasting and web casting this mornings game live. Both Brian and Nick did an outstanding job on the call, It was an honor listening while watching in the stands and hope they decide to come back do that again for the sub-regional.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 13 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Nov 7 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Today was another great day in Michigan City sports history.

The Jr. Pee Wee team won the league and state championship trophy's with a 28-6 win over Portage to advance to the sub-regional at Ames Field on 11-20-10 @ 10am.

The Michigan City Mitey Mite also won their exhibition scrimmage against the previously undefeated Hoffman Estates Redhawks form Illinois in the nightcap.

Congratulations also to the Southlake (Lowell) Red Devils Pee Wees on winning the league/state titles with their 6-0 win over an outstanding Duneland (Chesterton) team. I've watched pretty much the same group of kids on both these teams battle our boys from Michigan City tooth and nail every year since 2007, all three (Southlake, Duneland and Michigan City) are worthy of being called champions.

Finally, kudos to WIMS for broadcasting and web casting this mornings game live. Both Brian and Nick did an outstanding job on the call, It was an honor listening while watching in the stands and hope they decide to come back do that again for the sub-regional.

Hoffman Redhawks won today against Yipsilanti Michigan in the JPW division II, Hoffman will be the MC Wolves JPW next opponet.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 16 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #56

Really Comfortable

The Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates in the home arena for the Chicago Bliss of the Lingere Football league.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 28 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #57

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...c4491544111.txt

Back to Disney

City’s Markice Hurt Jr. runs long for the final score of the game during the Pop Warner Jr. Pee Wee Mid-America Division 2 regional championship Friday at Ames Field. The Wolves advance to play their next game Saturday at the Pop Warner Super Bowl in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Photo by Bob Wellinski

Pop Warner Jr. Pee Wee Regional Championship: Michigan City 18, Glenville (Ohio) 0
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:08 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — “All right Michigan City Junior Pee Wees. You just won the regional championship, what are you gonna do now?”

The question came from an assistant coach. The answer was easy for many of the players. They’ve been there before.

They’re going to Disney World.

For the second straight year, Michigan City Pop Warner’s Junior Pee Wee team has won its regional championship, this team downing the Glenville (Ohio) Titans 18-0 at Ames Field to secure their date with Mickey and the gang.

“For the kids that are going back it’s a great feeling,” coach Brian Fiske said. “For the younger boys it’s a great feeling, too.”

Led by yet another dynamic performance by the running game, most prolifically Markice Hurt Jr., the Wolves and their outstanding defense cinched the victory. Hurt carried the ball 20 times for 116 yards and two touchdowns including a 69-yarder late in the game that put an exclamation point on the victory.

“He’s definitely our best running back,” Fiske said of Hurt. “He just has a way of finding holes.”

While Hurt was the story on the offense, for the second straight week the defense was the story of the game. The mighty Wolves’ allowed just two first downs in a second consecutive shutout, after allowing just one first down a week ago in the Sub-Regional victory.

“The defense was huge,” Fiske said. “They’ve been strong all year.”

The Titans managed just 42 offensive yards from scrimmage. Take away 40 yards in offensive penalties, and Glenville advanced the ball just two yards against Michigan City for the game.

Knowing the Wolves have that kind of defense behind them, this one was over early.

City got the ball to start the game and took possession at its own 37-yard line. Hurt had a 16-yard run for the Wolves’ initial first down, then a 9-yard run for the second. Two plays later, Hurt busted free for a 37-yard touchdown run to give the Wolves a 6-0 lead, which proved to be insurmountable.

To make matters worse for Glenville, City recovered an onside kick immediately after Hurt’s touchdown. The Wolves almost always onside kick, yet Glenville wasn’t ready for it and the Wolves scooped up the ball uncontested.

The drive would result in a turnover on downs, but because of the back-to-back possessions, Glenville wouldn’t run its first offensive play until the 3:06 mark, the aftermath of which was bizarre for football at any level.

After a short gain, the Glenville running back and teammate started fighting in the huddle. A flag was thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct and neither player returned to the field.

On the very next play, Glenville’s Rashad Carter had an 18-yard run, followed on the next play by a 5-yard run from Elliott Gates for a first down. That would be the Titans last first down until late in the fourth quarter.

City got back on the board late in the third quarter. The possession started at Glenville’s 15-yard line after Max Willoughby recovered a blocked punt. Five plays later, Willoughby found paydirt from 4 yards out to give the Wolves a 12-0 advantage.

After the score, City recovered yet another onside kick Glenville didn’t appear prepared for. That possession also resulted in a turnover on downs for City, but valuable time ran off the clock.

Down the stretch, with Glenville trying to pass to make up ground, City’s defensive front shined bright. Sacks and tackles for a loss came in bunches from Cody Roach, Willoughby and others.

At the end of the day, the Wolves earned their right to play starting next weekend at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. in an eight-team tournament for the national championship. City’s first game would be Saturday, Dec. 4, against a yet-to-be-determined opponent. The tourney draw will take place Tuesday and the Wolves leave for Florida on Thursday.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 30 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #58

Really Comfortable

Here's a list of the eight the Division II regional Jr. Pee Wee teams. Looks like a really nice cross section of America. I hope the Wolves draw Yorba Linda, CA.
  • Eastern - Quakertown Panthers - Allentown/Bethlehem/Philadelphia, PA
  • Mid-America - Michigan City, Wolves - Michigan City, INDIANA
  • Pacific NW - East Bay Wranglers - Oakland, CA
  • New England - Mt. Hope Cowboys - Providence, R.I.
  • Mid-South - Durham Screamin' Eagles - Durham, NC
  • Southeast - Oakleaf Gators - Jacksonville, FL
  • Westcon - Yorba Linda Bulldogs - Yorba Linda, CA
  • Southwest Region - Lender/Cedar Park Mustangs - Austin, Texas
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 30 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #59

Really Comfortable

Here's the tourney bracket, kickoff of the opening quarterfinal game will be Saturday, December 4, 2010 - 7:30AM Michigan City time (oh my).

Oakleaf Gators (FL)
Mt. Hope Cowboys (RI)

Michigan City Wolves (IN)
Quakertown Panthers (PA)

Yorba Linda Bulldogs (CA)
LCP Mustangs (TX)

East Bay Wranglers (CA)
Durham Scrappin' Eagles (NC)
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 3 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #60

Really Comfortable

Michigan City quarterback Mason Kaletha is currently featured on the Pop Warner Super Bowl website's homepage.

www.popwarnersuperbowl.com
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:46 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com