Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Michigan City Wolves Basketball thread
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2012, 07:45 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

City's girls come back as Sectional Champs and the favorites in the DAC. They return their entire starting line up, having had no seniors on last years squad. The girls tip off their season November 9.

City's boys team comes back at Section and DAC runners up. The DAC was down last year, but not this year. Chesterton, Merrillville, and Valpo return a lot of talent in a deep conference. The boys tip off November 21st.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #2

My boys DAC preview
1. Merrillville
2. Valpo
3. City
4. Lake Central
5. Chesterton
6. Crown Point
7. Portage
8. LaPorte

The Pirates don't really lose anything this year. I know Seay is gone, but he was out for most of the season anyway. The Vikings also return most of their core players from last year. Kittridge and Mosser are primed for big years.

City and Lake Central both graduate their leading scores, though I really get the feeling that the Indians are going to miss Trey a lot this year, and I haven't seen real maturity yet from Wideman. A lot depends on the rest of the team stepping into the Robinson void.

The Wolves might actually be better without the off-court distractions that went with Washington. I expect Taylor and Simmons to have a big coming out party this year.

Chesterton is on the verge of a big season, though they will have to replace Price's leadership. I think next year is their big year, though I would keep an eye on Cole Teal, though they have a ton of talent in the big named guys like Palembizio and Holba.

Crown Point is taking a few hits to graduation, though they do have a decent core back for this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are team that starts slow and finishes strong. Braxton Rice and Tom Bardeson will be a nice versitile front line.

For once, I thing Portage is not the worst team in the DAC. They aren't losing a lot to graduation, and they were pretty young last year.

The LaPorte Slicers have Josh Fleming and nothing else this year. They are going to be ravaged by graduation, and there really isn't anything in the pipeline. Gage Ott might prove as a surprise player this year.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 29 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

I'm really happy this is going to be the last year of the Duneland conference double round robin schedule, the DAC has not won the Michigan City Regional since Valpo in 2004, the first year the double round robin was implemented.

Listening to the broadcast on the Chesterton-Merrillville game the announcers mentioned that Merrillville freshmen D.J. Wilkens (who is the Pirates backup QB) is one of the top undercalssmen guards in the midwest. Both Wilkens and Jake Raspopovich should make a tremendous front court for the Bucs.
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Oct 30 2012, 01:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 954

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Oct 29 2012, 10:01 AM) *

My boys DAC preview
1. Merrillville
2. Valpo
3. City
4. Lake Central
5. Chesterton
6. Crown Point
7. Portage
8. LaPorte

Way underestimating Chesterton... They are at least top 3, if not preseason favorite... The sectional run was no fluke... If they'd figured out a way to have kept Fazekas in town, I'd have no problem putting them preseason top five in the state.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 30 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Oct 30 2012, 02:45 AM) *

Way underestimating Chesterton... They are at least top 3, if not preseason favorite... The sectional run was no fluke... If they'd figured out a way to have kept Fazekas in town, I'd have no problem putting them preseason top five in the state.

In my eyes, Merrillville is the clear favorite. I think 2-5, and maybe even 6 could be pretty interchangeable. I do like the Trojans though. A ton of talent, but very young, and they will miss Kemonte Price. For me the easiest teams to rate were 1 and 7/8.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 31 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #6

I talked to both basketball coaches at City yesterday... I will gather some thoughts here and talk about the teams in more detail.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 5 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Michigan City Girls ranked #14 in 4A in preseason poll.

http://indianagirlsbasketball.homestead.co...es/topten4A.htm
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #8

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...ef91b23ef0.html

Michigan City Wolves

Last season: 18-7, 10-4 DAC, lost in regional semi-final to Penn

Inside the Wolves

Leading returning scorer: Jameka Collins, 12.5 ppg

Leading returning rebounder: Keshyana Cooper, 14.3 rpg

Newcomer to watch: Aubria Clifton, Sr, F. Clifton is back from tearing her ACL last December. She's ready to come back tougher off her injury, and wants to get the senior-heavy team to the state finals.

Breakdown

Wolves' senior-heavy team sets high expectations

Michigan City coach Mike Meygese and the Wolves have set the bar high for the 2012-2013 basketball season. After losing to Penn in the regional semifinal last year, the Wolves are preparing to go further in the state tournament, and to a potential state championship.

"We're so much better than we were last year," Jameka Collis said. "We think that this year we'll go so much farther than last year."

The Wolves will be backed by seven seniors, and return all of the same players from last season.

"I expect us to get farther than regionals," Aubria Smith said. "I expect us to go to state. We are senior-dominated. I believe with the help of our seniors we can go really far. It's going to feel good to have that cohesiveness. We always play well together; we know what we can and cannot do."

"Most of us have been playing AAU together sine fifth grade, so our chemistry is really good," Dejania Evans said. "Since we know each other and have been together for so long, it'll take the team farther, especially for our senior year."

Meygese said that with the DAC being one of the most competitive conferences in the state, winning the conference won't be easy.

"We've got to get by a lot of teams," he said. "Merrillville is a great team, and we know they're going to come at us. We know we have an opportunity to get to the state tournament, but it's not going to be easy." !~ Molly Smerika
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #9

City girls start out at #1 in the NWI Times Region poll.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...fc3619cedb.html

1. Michigan City (18-7)

The Wolves return all of their scoring and a lot more experience from a team that finished second in the Duneland Athletic Conference and won a sectional title. Talent is not lost at Michigan City. If the Wolves don't win the DAC this year, call the season a disappointment.

2. Merrillville (21-1)

The Pirates lost their top scorer, but aren't rebuilding. This team simply doesn't rebuild. Expect Merrillville to give Michigan City its biggest problems this year in conference play and continue to pester nonconference foes.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #10

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...5f3cc707ff.html

While Michigan City already boasted a tough Class of 2013, Michal Miller bounded her way into the starting lineup last season as a freshman.

She can control the ball and control the court, and coach Mike Megyese didn't hesitate to put a freshman in with a core group of established players.

"We have to remember that she’s still a kid, but she has the basketball maturity to get the job done," Megyese said. She averaged 30 points per game in the eighth grade. We were making sure she can take that to the varsity level. How are they going to perform against these seniors?

"We talked to her quite a few times last year about it, because it is a transition."

Think this means nothing for everyone else on the floor? Think again.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Boyd is losing his new top assistant and JV coach.

http://www.ccacsports.com/article/1510.php

Head Basketball Coach Jim Black recently announced his resignation due to family health issues. PNC quickly narrowed their search and were able to secure longtime coach Matt Bush as his immediate replacement.

"Family health issues that require my full-time attention have made continuing an impossibility," said Black. "I want to thank the PNC administration for entrusting the program to me initially and for their support and understanding as this transition takes place."

"It has been my utmost pleasure to have had the albeit brief opportunity to work with the team of professionals and the young men who have given their best to the basketball program," added Black. "I will miss this group and the game I love very much and wish PNC the very best in the future."

Black finished his tenure with a 1-1 record as the Panthers lost Friday night to #4 Indiana Wesleyan and defeated Miami Hamilton University Saturday.

Bush, a longtime resident and basketball coach in Northwest Indian, took over the team on Tuesday and will coach in the CCAC opener against Holy Cross on Wednesday.

Bush graduated from New Prairie High School in New Carlisle, IN and played collegiate basketball at Southwestern Oklahoma State University where he earned a Bachelor's Degree in Education

After briefly serving as the Head Boys' Basketball Coach in Chickasha, Oklahoma, Bush returned to Indiana and became the Head Boys' Basketball Coach at Morgan Township High School in 1980. He currently still teaches at Morgan in Health and Physical Education.

Bush amassed over 300 victories as a varsity high school coach in Oklahoma (1978-1980) and at Morgan Township High School (1980-82 and 1985-2010)

In 24 years as Morgan Township's Head Basketball Coach, the Cherokees captured a total of 18 championships, including six sectional championships, a regional championship and three elite eight appearances in the state tournament.

"I appreciate the opportunity to coach at the college level," said Bush. "It is something that I have always wanted to do and I'm excited to get started."

"Thanks to PNC for giving me this opportunity, added Bush. "I hope to build on the Men's Basketball program and will strive to make it an elite program."

The veteran coach Resides in Valparaiso, IN with his wife Janet. He has a son, Matty, who is the Head Assistant Men's Basketball Coach at St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, IN and a daughter, Angie, who is attending Graduate School.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 13 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #12

Remember the scrimmage game is tomorrow night at 5pm at MCHS. Season tips off against EC Central on the 21st also at City.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 15 2012, 01:16 PM
Post #13

NWI Times preview is really good. Here is the section on City, but the rest is worth reading.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...0e64b9bd16.html

Michigan City

Michigan City coach John Boyd has two highly recruited players. Guard Ryan Taylor is about to be offered by Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, and UIC is also interested. Oregon State, Purdue and Loyola are interested in Taylor, but want him to go to a prep school first.

Anthony Simmons is being recruited by Ball State, Georgia State, IPFW, UIC, Bowling Green and Lehigh.

Boyd believes the DAC has all this talent because of the coaching.

“Good players want to play for good coaches in communities who have great facilities and who take the idea of a student-athlete to the highest level," Boyd said.

Boyd took West Side to the state championship in 2002. Merrillville's T.J. Lux played for the Pirates in the 1995 state championship game. Swan took Andrean to the Class 3A state championship in 2000. Otis took LaPorte to the final Final Four in 1997.

“That's what I'm saying; there are a lot of great coaches in the DAC,” Boyd said. “That makes it very tough every time you play a game.”

Since Boyd arrived in Michigan City, the Wolves have not had that breakout season yet. But last winter Boyd's team was the only one to beat Lake Central. Now they are knocking on the door, again.

“We have to keep playing tough,” Simmons said. “We have to stay tough and have faith in each other. We need to make our free throws and execute. If we do that, we have a chance.”
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #14

City basketball now has a website.

http://www.michigancitywolvesbasketball.co...ubId=53382&
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #15

NWI Times talks about the Wolves

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...7d90b1929b.html
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #16

City's girls win by 30 over Lake Central in their DAC opener.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...57d90cb796.html
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 21 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #17

Michigan City wins their opener over a very good East Chicago Central team 49-48 up at the Wolves Den. City was lead by Ryan Taylor's 13 and 10 from Simmons, plus 9 from Lacy Johnson.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 22 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #18

Also getting in the scorebook last night was Luke Dauer and Asante Clark 6 points, Donnie Wilson with 5, and Shayne Barron with a late free throw which was the margin of victory for Michigan City.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 24 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Here's some great highlights from last nights girls basketball game against Valpo. (Pay no attention to that fat guy in the front row wearing the bib overalls.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GzRzmenkAs...player_embedded

One of the officials was an amputee, I really had a lot of admiration for that man.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #20

Girls sit on top of the Post Tribunes girls basketball poll, plus they had the Region's player of the week.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highsc...p-t-top-10.html

1. Michigan City
It’s a slow start schedule-wise for the Wolves as they have their third game on Friday against Valparaiso.

2. West Side

Same thing for West Side, which has nine days between games 2 (Tuesday) and 3 (Nov. 29 at 21st Century).

3. Lowell

The Red Devils are still undefeated to start the season with its next game at Crown Point on Tuesday.
Ads by Google

4. Merrillville

The Pirates are also still undefeated after four games. Sounds like last season, but tough opponents are looming.

5. Hobart

Make that a 5-0 start for the Brickies, and defense doing the job as they are holding teams to 28.2 points scored.

6. Whiting

Just an estimate, but it could be a while until the Oilers lose a game since they’re the top team in the GSSC.

7. LaPorte

Duneland Conference game No. 2 comes Saturday for the Slicers at LC and they also try to stay undefeated.

8. Hebron

The Hawks took the PCC Kup away from Boone Grove last week as they’ve already won half as many games as last season with a 4-0 start.

9. Portage

Yes, the Indians got blown out by Merrillville on Wednesday, but the three-game win streak before that was nice.

10. Kankakee Valley

After losing their first game to Valparaiso, the Kougars have won four straight by an average of 16 points.

Player of the week

Keshyana Cooper, MC

The senior post player had game-highs in points (20) and rebounds (14) to lead the Wolves to an easy win over Lake Central last Friday.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:12 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com