Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Minnesota forest fire could affect our air
Southsider2k12
post Sep 13 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I'm downtown Chicago and it is really hazy. That's only 30 miles by air to City.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,1457256.story

Smoke from a forest fire in northeastern Minnesota carried south by wind is apparently entering Illinois, filling the sky over parts of northeastern Illinois with a gray, smoggy haze.

"The whole sky is kind of a film of clouds over it," said Lake Villa resident Marie Braden, 49. "I had my windows open earlier, but had to close my windows. I just can't breath with this."

The National Weather Service has issued a special weather statement for several counties in southern and southeastern Wisconsin, advising residents of those areas to expect hazy skies and "a distinct burning odor."

The smoke originated from a wildfire burning in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness near Fall Lake, Minn., according to the agency. Dubbed the Pagami Creek Fire, the blaze started on Aug. 18 and now covers 11,000 acres, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

National Weather Service meteorologist Samuel Shea said the haze could be seen on satellite imagery, moving across southeastern Wisconsin.

By early afternoon the smoke had apparently reached Schaumburg, where the village hall, fire department and the village's 311 center have been "inundated with calls," said Fire Chief David Schumann.

The Libertyville Fire Department issuing a reverse 911 call to residents to explain the burning odor and haze.

“You can smell it and it’s just a haze in the sky. It’s obvious there’s some kind of smoke or fog. It’s completely blocking out what would be a pretty clear sky,” said Fire Chief Rich Carani.

Officials in Elgin also warned residents to expect hazy skies and a burning odor.

“There is no cause for alarm since the fire is more than 400 miles northwest of Illinois,” Elgin Fire Chief John Fahy said in a statement. “People with respiratory problems should take precautions and remain inside as the smoke moves through our area.”

In Crystal Lake, the fire department responded to several calls this today.

"Most reports coming in now are from residents who do not believe it’s coming from a fire in Minnesota," said Crystal Lake Deputy Fire Chief Paul DeRaedt. "Right now, it’s just a light haze with a burning wood odor. We are trying to inform the public to stay indoors if they have any type of respiratory problems much the same way as when the National Weather Service issues air quality alert days."

Shea, the meteorologist, said it was hard to say how long the smoke would hang around, though a cold front moving in tonight and tomorrow may help clear the air.

Tribune reporters Lawerence Synett and Kate Thayer and freelance reporter Ruth Fuller contributed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 13 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #2

From WSBT-TV
**FOR EXTREME NORTHWEST INDIANA** A large wildfire burning in portions of Minnesota is spreading smoke and haze into portions of Northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana. Some areas can expect this smoke and haze as well as a distinct burning smell through the evening and overnight periods. Some places may even encounter enough smoke to have difficulty breathing. Please take precautions if you encounter smoke in your area.
+Quote Post
diggler
post Sep 13 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 969

Kind of reminds me of the Great Western Fires of 88. Was able to SEE and SMELL those fires here as well. blink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_fires_of_1988
+Quote Post
diggler
post Sep 13 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

IPB Image

Enjoy the Chicago sunset.....that is if you can see it. blink.gif

http://media.myfoxchicago.com/fox/webcam4.html
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 13 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

When I lived in Casper WY, we had a fire on Casper Mountain. 12,000 acres burned for days. It was pretty scary. Everything smelled like woodsmoke for weeks. The sky was yellow. You couldn't get away from it. And to sit in your yard at night and watch the mountain burn.......I never want to experience that again.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Log Jam
post Sep 13 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,065

Smoke from a forest fire in northeastern Minnesota carried south by wind is apparently entering Illinois, filling the sky over parts of northeastern Illinois with a gray, smoggy haze.

Is this even possible? I used to have trouble with the smoke from the South Shore trains but this one takes it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 13 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Log Jam @ Sep 13 2011, 08:27 PM) *

Is this even possible? I used to have trouble with the smoke from the South Shore trains but this one takes it.

When I left downtown Chicago you could definitely smell it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 14 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #8

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illinoi...0989ae45a0.html

Smoke drifting into northern Illinois from Minnesota wildfires prompted officials to declare an air pollution action day Wednesday for a host of Illinois counties, including Cook and Will.

Rob Elstro, spokesman for the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, said as of late Wednesday morning, forecast models did not appear a similiar action would be necessary in Northwest Indiana.

Northern Illinois is experiencing elevated levels of fine particulate matter from smoke caused by wildfires in Minnesota. High levels of fine particulates can pose a health risk to sensitive populations including individuals with respiratory disorders, active children and adults.

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illinoi...l#ixzz1Xx06D0oM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:21 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com