Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Lipstick on a Pig", Campaign silliness insults intelligent voters
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 10 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This flap over the recent comment of Mr. Obama that cites the expression about putting lipstick on a pig exemplifies the juvenile coverage of the presidential campaign. We voters must be above this crass stupidity. Are we?

The candidates are delivering talks on issues, but the media (and puh-lease let's agree that all political stripes are well-represented) insist on focusing on little snippets that really have no bearing on the things that ought to matter to voters.

C'mon, people, let's take the pledge to refuse to get sucked into the charybdis of character assassination, dirty tricks, and superficial inanity.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 10 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Considering McCain used the "lipstick on a pig" phrase to refer to Hillary Clinton's health care proposals earlier in this election cycle just lends more weight to your statement, Roger. Didn't hear all the screaming then, did we?

I'd love to see an election season where the issues which were considered important were the actual substantive issues, but unfortunately in this 24/7 news environment, the talking heads on CNN, MSNBC, "Faux" news, et al, have to go for the fist bump, adultery, alleged adultery, and out-of-wedlock pregnancies stories to fill their time. How long would the viewers be interested in the candidates position papers on the war(s), the economy, the environment?

In my humble opinion, the signal to noise ratio of the news coverage until the debates is going to be pretty low, unless one of the candidates gets caught with the proverbial dead girl or live boy (a.k.a. "major screwup").
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 11 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #3

So, I take it you are taking the pledge? It is either yes or no. I want to get a committment from the Gentle Readers.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 11 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

I don't exactly know what your pledge would entail, Roger.

I've already determined which Presidential ticket I am going to support based on substantive issues. So all the fol-de-rol is not going to change my vote.

But it's going to be hard to avoid the stuff unless I go crawl into a cave until November 5. If one wants to so much as look at the weather channel, one is going to see this nonsense.

I find I agree with Craig Ferguson on this matter (youtube video, you're going to need broadband).

And in my personal opinion, most of the negative campaigning is coming from one side. Unless your pledge includes voting against the side that's using Karl Rove as a consultant, it's going to be hard for me to sign on.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 11 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 11 2008, 01:51 PM) *

And in my personal opinion, most of the negative campaigning is coming from one side. Unless your pledge includes voting against the side that's using Karl Rove as a consultant, it's going to be hard for me to sign on.

You had me agreeing with you until this statement. Considering the truckload of mud dug up by the Obamaistas the first few days after Palin's nomination, can't we agree the c**p is flying both ways. I agree with Rog. We only have 7 weeks. Lets get to the issues.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 11 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 11 2008, 06:26 PM) *

You had me agreeing with you until this statement. Considering the truckload of mud dug up by the Obamaistas the first few days after Palin's nomination, can't we agree the c**p is flying both ways. I agree with Rog. We only have 7 weeks. Lets get to the issues.

Stumpy, show me one instance of the Obama campaign flinging mud at Palin and I'll make a $50 donation to the McCain campaign.

Obama doesn't control the media. And you McCainainites had to expect something like this media blitz would happen when McCain selected a relative unknown like Governor Pawlenty -- errr, Palin -- to be one 72 year old cancer survivor's heartbeat from the presidency.

But I do agree about getting to the issues. Let's see how the candidates fare during interviews -- errr -- and during the debates.

And Stumpy, don't I recall you're being all for Oberlie during the last local election cycle? If you're supporting McCain now, does that mean you're an ex-Democrat, or a Republican for Oberlie?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 11 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 11 2008, 08:05 PM) *

And Stumpy, don't I recall you're being all for Oberlie during the last local election cycle? If you're supporting McCain now, does that mean you're an ex-Democrat, or a Republican for Oberlie?

Yes. I am sure you are right. The Photoshop'ed picture of Palin by the pool with the rifle, the made up list of books she wanted banned from public libraries, and the particularly nasty lie that her mentally challenged 5th child is not even her own, were probably all placed in circulation by disgruntled Romney supporters who were upset that he wasn't overlooked as the GOP number 2. I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn too.

As for her lack of experience, she has two FULL years as the governor of Alaska, versus one year of Senate experience for Obama (since he has spent the last two years campaigning for President). I guess since she is a woman, she couldn't possibly have progressed as far up the learning curve as Obama, right?

So your big concern is that the GOP's number two is somehow less experienced than the Dem's number 1? I've yet to see proof.

Locally, I support Republican candidates when possible and, since we all know there is not a truly viable two party system in this town, I try to look for Democrats with conservative values to support. It's simple, really.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 12 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Well, I guess I can donate that 50 bucks to the Obama campaign then.

And I've seen the first post-convention interview of Governor Palin (governor since 12/04/2006 -- what time zone are you in that makes 21 months 2 full years?) with that hard hitting journalist ( rolleyes.gif ) Charlie Gibson. And I'll say that the thought of her somehow sitting in the Oval Office frightens me to death after watching that. I've seen much better answers from Junior Miss America contestants. I'm planning to have a party during the VP debates -- I suspect Biden isn't going to be giving her the answers to the questions like Gibson did.

I don't care about her family stuff. The "loyalty tests" she gave city employees when she was mayor and the issues involving possible abuses of her office regarding her ex brother in law do. The earmarks denials are pretty amusing, considering McCain slammed the "bridge to nowhere" himself after the I-35 bridge collapse.
The selling the state plane on ebay for a profit falsehood is pretty amusing as well (though it's coming out of McCain's mouth, not her's.)

This post has been edited by Dave: Sep 12 2008, 02:42 AM
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 12 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 12 2008, 12:10 AM) *

Yes. I am sure you are right. The Photoshop'ed picture of Palin by the pool with the rifle, the made up list of books she wanted banned from public libraries, and the particularly nasty lie that her mentally challenged 5th child is not even her own, were probably all placed in circulation by disgruntled Romney supporters who were upset that he wasn't overlooked as the GOP number 2. I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn too.

If you're going to reference him, do it properly. His name is Trig, and he is a child with Down Syndrome. Sorry, I know I'm nit-picky, but that annoys me. There are plenty of folks who are referred to as "normal" or "typically developing" who could also very easily be called "mentally challenged" at times. Down Syndrome causes developmental delays as well as mental retardation.

By the way, if she's such a proponent of "family values", why did she go back to work only 3 days after giving birth to him? Nothing quite says bonding like that, now does it?

This post has been edited by JHeath: Sep 12 2008, 08:59 AM
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 12 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 11 2008, 01:51 PM) *
I don't exactly know what your pledge would entail, Roger.

I thought it was pretty clear what is specified in the pledge. It boils down to paying attention to facts, not gossip, relying on candidates to state their own positions instead of going by what someone says the candidates say, and so on.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 12 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 12 2008, 11:48 AM) *

I thought it was pretty clear what is specified in the pledge. It boils down to paying attention to facts, not gossip, relying on candidates to state their own positions instead of going by what someone says the candidates say, and so on.

OK, I'm in.

Did you see any of the first Palin interview with Charlie Gibson?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 14 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #12

I heard excerpts; not very impressive. She is another ideologue, and I am not a fan of that type. In fact, I was leaning McCain until he picked her.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 6 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #13

Do the Gentle Readers think that satires of the candidates are above-board, or are they too much?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 6 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 6 2008, 12:52 PM) *

Do the Gentle Readers think that satires of the candidates are above-board, or are they too much?

What, do you mean the Saturday Night Live skits with Tina Fey? SNL is a comedy show, these things are to be expected.

As for Palin, I'd love to see her discuss some of her policy positions on Meet The Press, or any Sunday morning talk show. Somehow I just don't see that happening.

And now both campaigns have gone negative. McCain has apparently gone 100% negative according to what I've read in the news, bringing up stuff about Obama's connections with Ayers, and the Obama campaign is countering with McCain being part of the Keating 5. I would have thought McCain/Palin would have had enough sense to not go negative, seeing how much ammo the other side has. Did They expect Obama to just roll over and take it? (I actually consider Palin's comments about Obama consorting with terrorists to be a real joke considering her husband's affliation with the Alaskan Independence Party.

And right now the DOW is down 670 points to 9653, the lowest its been in 5 years. At least Obama is still addressing the economy in some of his ads.

This week's Presidential debate should be interesting.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 7 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #15

Ayers is currently holding a tenured position in that hotbed of radicalism, the University of Illinois (Chicago). Palin's using this line of attack is ridiculous, and I hope the vast majority of voters are too smart to get bamboozled by her.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 8 2008, 05:29 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 6 2008, 12:52 PM) *

Even though I am a red tie guy, I can't help but use my new favorite word 'mavericky' and laugh.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 22 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #17

Do you think the Palin/SNL has gone over the top and reduced her cred, even made her seem silly?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 22 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 22 2008, 11:32 AM) *

Do you think the Palin/SNL has gone over the top and reduced her cred, even made her seem silly?

Do you think she even realizes that any of that is possible? I think she's too busy counting her hits on YouTube to catch on.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 22 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 22 2008, 11:32 AM) *

Not sure. I just watched it for the first time on hulu.com, and while it may show that Palin is a good sport when it comes to comedy, it certainly doesn't impress me as increasing her credibility. I have a lot of friends who I consider likable, that doesn't mean I'd want any of them to be VP.

Did you catch her latest real interview where she talked about what a VP does? She has no clue as to how the US Senate is run if she thinks she can influence policy from the presiding seat -- Lyndon Johnson couldn't do it when he was VP, after just being Majority Leader -- there's no way in the world Palin could swing it.
+Quote Post
The_Mikester
post Oct 31 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #20

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 343

Even as someone who voted for "the other woman" in the primaries I gots to admit I got a real kick out of seeing how folks on the far left have come down on Palin. "Why, she has children! She should be at home with them!" Even one of my far-left Democrat precinct official friends could not come back on that one!

I have mixed emotions about an Obama presidency. On one hand, Palin is, as Stumpster notes, more qualified than Barry. On the other hand, if he wins it will be like scary-cool roller coaster ride! At least he knows how to vote present, eh? I can't wait to see my tax cut!

Comrades!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:26 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com