Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Splash Down Dunes is Done, Assets going up on auction block
taxthedeer
post Sep 21 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Just heard that Splash Down Dunes is now history, owner's liability insurance issues, health and safety concerns, busted equiptment, sagging gate revenues, inability to find another buyer and competition were cited as the reasons.

I remember going there in the mid 70's as a kid when the place my dad worked for had company picnics out there when it was an amusment park called "Enchanted Forest".

What I'll really miss now is passing by that place and listening to the truckers on the CB comment about the "bikini's".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 21 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

That's really sad - my sister's kids loved that place. I went there a couple of years ago - other than the horrifying display of diet failure it was really fun!

Enchanted Forest - I grew up in MC in the 50's and 60's and Enchanted Forest was so much fun. Ah memories.... *sniff*
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Sep 21 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 21 2009, 01:02 PM) *

Just heard that Splash Down Dunes is now history, owner's insurance issues, busted equiptment, sagging gate revenues, inability to find another buyer and competition were cited as the reasons.

I remember going there in the mid 70's as a kid when the place my dad worked for had company picnics out there when it was an amusment park called "Enchanted Forest".

What I'll really miss now is passing by that place and listening to the truckers on the CB comment about the "bikini's".

I remember the Mad Mouse and the bumper cars. Great times at Enchanted Forest.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 21 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 21 2009, 11:24 PM) *

Then I'm sure you remember the little train that went all the way around the perimeter of the park.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Sep 22 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I went to Enchanted Forest on my first date. Remember the stand-up caged swings? Well, I was never good at rides, and promptly up chucked. Totally embarrasing at the time, but now it's pretty funny. Needless to say, that was my last date biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 22 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 21 2009, 11:24 PM) *

I remember the Mad Mouse and Bumper Cars too.

That little train reminded me of Steve Martin in, "The Jerk"

What I remember most is that my father's company had a special free beer tent set up soley for the employees only and how loaded my old man would be when he left staggering up out of there, my mom would have to drive the family all back home. We had a green '69 Chevy station Wagon with a 454 engine and those black vinyl seats, dad would be passed out in a cold sweat, smelling like a brewery, in the front passenger seat once we arrived. Ah the memories...
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 22 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Homey @ Sep 22 2009, 07:33 AM) *

I went to Enchanted Forest on my first date. Remember the stand-up caged swings? Well, I was never good at rides, and promptly up chucked. Totally embarrasing at the time, but now it's pretty funny. Needless to say, that was my last date biggrin.gif

Remember the Safari Ride? It broke down once while I was on it. They turned the lights on and the guy led us out of the building...I was amazed at how small the building was!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 26 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I liked the overhead tram that rode around the park. Also, my first time throwing up on a ride was at Enchanted Forest. It was that gold thing with the cars that when around and round up and down and made that big chunking noise every time we it went up and down. Dad worked at Weil-McLain and so we would go every year.

I really miss that place. *sigh*

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:13 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com