> Favorite books, bump when you read a good book
edgeywood
post Jan 3 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 330

"A Sand County Almanac", Aldo Leopold

An amazing book. Anyone interested in ecology, nature, or history should read it.

Aldo Leopold is described as "both a better writer and a better naturalist than Thoreau", I agree!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 7 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Jan 3 2011, 09:55 PM) *

"A Sand County Almanac", Aldo Leopold

An amazing book. Anyone interested in ecology, nature, or history should read it.

Aldo Leopold is described as "both a better writer and a better naturalist than Thoreau", I agree!

I haven't read it yet, but the library just got a new book that is based upon putting Leopold's vision into practice in home gardens. It's called The Conscientious Gardener by Sarah Hayden Reichard.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 7 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

I haven't suggested any books for a long time, but I was really impressed with A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan. It's made up of connected short stories about Bennie Salazar, who is a music executive, his secretary Sasha, and the people they meet throughout their lives. Each chapter looks at a different person in a different time and place, "in a wild relay race that will end with the same characters with which it begins while dispensing with them for years at a time." (New York Times Book Review)

Egan expertly handles the changes in setting, voice, and perspective. There's even a chapter down in PowerPoint, which some people found too gimmicky, but I was impres by how well she used the charting functionality of PowerPoint to tell a story.

It's a hard book to describe, but Egan's virtuoso handling of a dozen voices over decades, her subtle touch illustrating her themes, and her darkly comic vibe make this one of the best books I've read in the past year.

And it just won the Morning News Tournament of Books, a March Madness style book "award" that I follow every year.

+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 7 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Michigan City Library is offering a new service called NextReads, e-newsletters (or RSS feeds) with reading suggestions in over twenty genres and reading interests. Sign up at http://mclib.org/nextreads.html to get reading lists sent right to your email. Here are the topics available:

For adults:

Audiobooks
Armchair Travel
Christian Fiction
Biography & Memoir
Business and Personal Finance
Fantasy
Fiction A to Z
Historical Fiction
History and Current Events
Home, Garden, and DIY
Horror
Library Events
Mind and Body Fitness
Mystery
Nature and Science
New York Times Fiction Bestsellers
New York Times Nonfiction Bestsellers
Popular Culture
Science Fiction
Spirituality and Religion
Thrillers and Suspense

For Kids & Teens:

Picture Books
Kids' Books
Tween Reads
Teen Scene
Library Events for Kids & Teens

You can choose any newsletters that you like, so you can be sure that the suggestions will match your reading interests.

Also, if you're looking for a good book right now, don't forget about NoveList, the reading database offered by the library. Find the latest books in your favorite series, find authors that are similar to your favorites, or track down a title whose name/author you've forgotten. It's a great resource for anyone looking to expand their reading. Just click the link located at the library's database page.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 1 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #65

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

I recommend two children's books by Donald Driver.

"Quickie Makes the Team"
and
"Quickie Handles A Loss"
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 31 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #66

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Just finished a couple of good ones... First was Downfall by Richard Frank. It included some great source materials on the end of WWII with Japan and all of the information leading to the US dropping the atomic bomb on Japan. Instead of just presenting one side of things, they put materials out from both points of view and really offered a broad spectrum on the decision making process, and not just the decision. Great book.

Also Oklahoma City by Andrew Gumbel on the bombing of the Murrah Building. It really outlines the whole plot and trials, as well as a lot of what the federal government potentially left on the table in order to bury McVeigh and Nichols.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 10 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 10

Ok, I read Nick Dettman's book A Life Worth Dreaming About

It was a very good story, but I was left hanging at the end. I'm hoping that he has plans to write a sequel. The prologue was way ahead of the story in time and there was no epilogue to match it to, or anything in the story that related the prologue to it. Which leaves me thinking that he is writing a sequel which will relate to the prologue of the first book. I really can't say much more without giving the plot away, but I'm sure Nick will understand what I'm trying to say.

But, again, the story line was very good and I'm anxiously waiting to see if Nick has plans to write a second book.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 24 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #68

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I finished Keith Richards "auto"biography last weekend. I brought it on a Navy Tiger cruise with me and plowed through 3/4 in a couple of days and then it sat. Then I sat and finished it. Really fun read and the writer he hired did a great job. Tim, have you read it?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 25 2013, 07:21 AM
Post #69

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 24 2013, 09:29 PM) *

I finished Keith Richards "auto"biography last weekend. I brought it on a Navy Tiger cruise with me and plowed through 3/4 in a couple of days and then it sat. Then I sat and finished it. Really fun read and the writer he hired did a great job. Tim, have you read it?

No, but I want to! Also want to read Dick Wagner's book.
+Quote Post
sprtsnck
post Jan 28 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 908

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 10 2013, 04:53 PM) *

Ok, I read Nick Dettman's book A Life Worth Dreaming About

It was a very good story, but I was left hanging at the end. I'm hoping that he has plans to write a sequel. The prologue was way ahead of the story in time and there was no epilogue to match it to, or anything in the story that related the prologue to it. Which leaves me thinking that he is writing a sequel which will relate to the prologue of the first book. I really can't say much more without giving the plot away, but I'm sure Nick will understand what I'm trying to say.

But, again, the story line was very good and I'm anxiously waiting to see if Nick has plans to write a second book.

Thank you!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 18 2013, 04:01 AM
Post #71

Really Comfortable

I would like to recommend:

The Power of Negative Thinking: An Unconventional Approach to Achieving Positive Results by Robert Montgomery Knight

http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Negative-T...l/dp/054402771X

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 25 2013, 01:50 PM
Post #72

Anyone else watching Vikings on History? I am actually digging the series so far. Better than I thought it would be.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Mar 25 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 25 2013, 01:50 PM) *

Anyone else watching Vikings on History? I am actually digging the series so far. Better than I thought it would be.

Yes, I think my wife and I might be hooked on it. I almost quit on it 15 minutes into the first episode, but I am now glad I gave it a chance.

Radgar's wife is smokin'!

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 25 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Mar 25 2013, 03:42 PM) *

Yes, I think my wife and I might be hooked on it. I almost quit on it 15 minutes into the first episode, but I am now glad I gave it a chance.

Radgar's wife is smokin'!

I thought it started slow too, but it is really rolling now. The characters are really good.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 27 2013, 07:02 AM
Post #75

If you are a fan of the Eagles, History of the Eagles on Showtime is killer.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 28 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #76

I read this one in two days. I love the traders perspective instead of something by an outsider who only understand the business in hindsight.

http://www.amazon.com/Colossal-Failure-Com...e/dp/0307588343

A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman Brothers
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 18 2013, 09:00 AM
Post #77

Anyone else read Seal Team Geronimo yet? Very interesting read if not. One of the interesting things stated in there is that chemical weapons were in Iraq, and they were used against our troops in IEDs there. They basically stated that Al Qaeda got ahold of them after Saddam fell, which is why the GOP never tried to refute the whole "WMDs in Iraq" thing. Al Qaeda having them is worse than egg on Bush's face for them not being there. The Dems never said anything because they have always been right if there were no WMDs, plus it allowed them to leave Iraq and fulfill their promise to leave.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 27 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #78

Really Comfortable

This looks like it might be a really good book:

Season of Upsets by Matthew A. Werner

http://www.amazon.com/Season-Upsets-Hoosie...s/dp/0692320474

Hoosier hysteria is synonymous with Indiana’s crazy love affair with basketball. For some, it harkens back to the final four teams that met as a result of a single state-wide tournament. But few teams ever made it that far.

Undeterred, towns cheered raucously for their boys and on occasion, David toppled Goliath. Telephones rang off their hooks and newspaper reports buzzed as a state of euphoria swept through a small town. In 1950, LaPorte County experienced such an occasion that encompassed Hoosier hysteria in all its glory. But there is much more to this incredible untold story.

The students were born into the Great Depression and grew up in the shadow of World War II. The coaches were veterans of war. A fire destroyed a school, but not its spirit. Sports writers sparred on the pages of rival newspapers and a coal strike jeopardized everything.

One season. One county. Fifteen schools. The smallest school had fifteen boys to field a team; the largest—more than five-hundred boys. Industrial cities. Small towns. Long odds and upsets so surprising, they never happened before and never happened again. It was the Season of Upsets.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:02 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com