Reply to this topicStart new topic
> M&M closed, ...now known as Mary's Country Kitchen
Southsider2k12
post Dec 24 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Its too bad. Growing up on Holiday Street, it was a family favorite spot to go eat when I was young. I really hate to see it end the way that it did.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=2612.795

M&M Restaurant Closed
Owner said two employees stole $600 from cash box; police say incident appears to be civil, not criminal.

Georgette Senter
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Since 1964, M&M Restaurant as been an anchor in Elmar Plaza in the 1600 block of East Michigan Boulevard.

But on Wednesday the restaurant - in business since 1947 - closed, owner Matthew Westergren said.

For 13 years Westergren has owned and operated the landmark restaurant, known for its friendly wait staff and home-cooked meals.

Westergren said "the straw that broke my back," was when he went to the restaurant on Wednesday to drop off the payroll for the restaurant's nine employees, including two women who had been managing the business during the last four months while Westergren worked elsewhere.

Even as he worked away from the restaurant, Westergren said he had remained the owner and was in charge of the restaurant's operation.

He said when he stopped by the restaurant and opened the cash box, he found a signed note at the bottom that had been left by his two assistant managers, telling him that they "had talked among themselves" and decided that they deserved extra cash. The note said they took $300 each.

The note said:

"Matt:

(Blank Blank) & I discussed this for a long time & we both felt that it would be appropriate for us to take 300 dollars each to hold us over for Christmas.

We apologize if you disagree.

(Heart symbol) (Signed by both women)"

Westergren said Thursday that business at restaurant has not been good for some time.

"I was close to closing the doors in September," Westergren said. "The two women have been working at the restaurant and came to me asking to be given the chance to keep the restaurant going."

Westergren filed a police report for theft Wednesday, right after finding the note.

But it was not until contacted by The News-Dispatch on Thursday that he learned that police had concluded that no criminal act had taken place.

Thursday, Detective Capt. Tom Howe said, "This appears to be more of a civil matter then criminal."

After being contacted by The News-Dispatch about the theft report, Howe said he would speak to Westergren, who said he called Howe to talk about the theft. During that conversation, Westergren said Howe confirmed that no criminal charges would be filed.

"I am almost speechless," Westergren said.

After speaking with Howe, Westergren said he was confused. "What is a businessman in Michigan City to do when an employee decides to take it upon themselves to dig into the cash box? He (Howe) made me feel that (the police) would rather do nothing than to deal with the fact that I had been robbed."

Westergren said he never gave the two women permission to take money from the cash box to cover payroll.

"Maybe this is a warning to other businessmen that the Michigan City police feel it is all right if an employee decides to steal from the boss," Westergren said.

He also said he would contact the prosecutor's office to find out why this isn't being considered a criminal case.

"We had to close earlier than I may have intended and now seven people are out of work, just before Christmas, because the two women I trusted to run it while I was gone took advantage of me and them," Westergren said. "That is really sad added to the fact the administration in the police department just doesn't seem to care."

Contact Georgette Senter at gsenter@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 25 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

I am just disgusted by this. I can not believe the police feel this is a civil matter.

MAYOR OBERLIE, YOUR CITY IS GOING TO THE DOGS. WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?!?!?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Dec 26 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

"Westergren said he never gave the two women permission to take money from the cash box to cover payroll."

I take it from this statement that he was behind in paying his employees. Sounds like a civil matter to me.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 27 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Maybe not. could be that it was close to Christmas and he was out of town and they were just afraid he wouldn't be able to make it in to pay them. Here's a thought, though. If he was behind, why just pay themselves? Why not pay all the employees?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 27 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

The note does not say they were paying themselves. It says they were taking the money. It was not theirs to take. They stole it.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 28 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Matt's been a friend of mine for about six years. For those that don't know him, he's a great guy. He poured his heart and soul in to that restaurant and had a nice run. He was always there first thing in the morning and was the guy who was slinging the hash in the kitchen. I'm sorry that it didn't work out and I'm more upset that it ended with two managers stealing from him.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 29 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #7

Dave Barnes is a friend of mine and has worked at M&M since Methuzela was in diapers (I think). It was his first and only job. I can't imagine what he his going to do.

How crappy is that?! Before I left town, we ate breakfast there every Saturday. I am so sad about this situation.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jan 2 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

There is no indication that the owner owed his employees money. From what was written, it appears that the managers made "an executive" decision to give themselves Christmas Bonuses. I would think the owner should be the one making that decision and anyone else doing so would be embezzling. The right thing for those managers to do is to return the money, regardless of whether it is defined as a criminal or civil issue.

However, there are two other issues here to consider:

First, if the owner is closing up the restaurant because of a loss of $600, I believe it was destined to close anyway. The article even mentions the fact that he was about to shut the doors a few months ago.

And, second, this is another blow to the Boulevard. Following closely on the heals of the announcement that Walgreen will close and the burning of the liquor store on 8th Street, that's three of the top ten (maybe top five) businesses on that major artery. That leaves McDonalds, K&M, Subway, the barbershop, a printing shop, the two gas stations, Petti's grocery store and a couple smaller consulting firms (I'm not counting the bowling alley, golf course, Sullair, and the business park which are much farther toward the outskirts of town).

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 2 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #9

Teach, I think the managers wanted Westy to keep it open so that is why they agreed to manage while he was away. It still smells like betrayal to me.

There are some places opening between Woodland and Carroll. I will drive by and see what is what.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 2 2008, 06:30 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

For a guy who's been eating at M&M since they were on Franklin St, coming home for Christmas and finding them closed was devastating. Beyond this rip-off thing, does anyone know what exactly happened to bring the closure? Bad business? Sales off?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 2 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #11

It just was not as busy as it used to be. People got used to going to chain places instead of local joints.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 2 2008, 07:09 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 2 2008, 06:40 PM) *

It just was not as busy as it used to be. People got used to going to chain places instead of local joints.

Do you think location was the problem?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 2 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 2 2008, 07:09 PM) *

Do you think location was the problem?

I'm sure it didn't help, for no other reason than all of the traffic is on the other side of town. I grew up on the 400 block of Holiday Street, so I remember going there plenty as a kid. I am going to miss the place, regardless of how it happened.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 3 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Location had something to do with it but like someone noted, it just wasn't as busy as it used to be. I'm not sure if there was anything more Matt could do to make a go of it. He had a nice little run though. I do know that he'll land on two feet, he's a go-getter. Did you know his Dad is the mayor of New Buffalo?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 3 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #15

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49619.28

1/3/2008 11:00:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
Sad To See M&M Restaurant Close
I was saddened by the news of the closing of one of my favorite restaurants, the M&M. It was a throwback to the 1950s and one of the best values in eating in Michigan City. Thanks, Matt, for all the effort you and your family put into your fine restaurant.

Matt and I were members of the Boulevard Merchants Association. We spent hours working on ideas and programs to bring security and prosperity back to the Boulevard, but unfortunately we did not fully succeed. As a small business owner, I too am well aware of the struggles you endure to keep your business going. Matt, you will be missed.

Terry Moser

Michigan City

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 3 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #16

The location BECAME a problem because of the shift to eating in chains on S. Franklin.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 5 2008, 05:06 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Why I'll miss M&M -

IPB Image

RIP
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 5 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #18

Yes, best jelly packets in town!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jan 5 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 29 2007, 04:01 PM) *

Dave Barnes is a friend of mine and has worked at M&M since Methuzela was in diapers (I think). It was his first and only job. I can't imagine what he his going to do.

How crappy is that?! Before I left town, we ate breakfast there every Saturday. I am so sad about this situation.

Dave, the best cook in Michigan City made all the soups from scratch was let go about a year ago. He had a couple of heart attacks and after recovering he was let go. I do not know the whole story but their is some bitterness involved. After Dave left the prices went up and the quality went down. It was getting easier and easier to get a table on Sundays.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 5 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jan 5 2008, 02:47 PM) *

Dave, the best cook in Michigan City made all the soups from scratch was let go about a year ago. He had a couple of heart attacks and after recovering he was let go. I do not know the whole story but their is some bitterness involved. After Dave left the prices went up and the quality went down. It was getting easier and easier to get a table on Sundays.

I thought I was the best "chef" in town. blink.gif tongue.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:44 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com