Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...9e893447989.txt

Meer, Oberlie: Smooth transition under way

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — The transition for the city’s new mayoral administration is running smoothly, according to Mayor Chuck Oberlie and Mayor-elect Ron Meer.

Meer praised Oberlie as being “totally cooperative” in assisting him since he won the November general election.

“He has given me full access to all department heads and staff in his administration,” Meer said, while also noting he and Oberlie have been meeting “at least once a week” and speaking by telephone as well.

Oberlie, who has been mayor since taking over for Sheila Brillson in 2003, stresses the importance of a smooth transition.

“With these positions being temporary in nature, it should be an obligation to provide a smooth transition so your community does well,” he said.

This transition, he reminds, is under different circumstances than the last mayoral change more than eight years ago.

“Being a part of the (Brillson) administration, I was familiar with the projects that were going on,” Oberlie said. “That differs now with Ron coming in. He is going to want a member of his own team, and he is going to have to evaluate who is where, whether or not he is comfortable with that and how to make the necessary adjustments.”

Oberlie said as city controller prior to Brillson’s early departure in July 2003, he was “familiar with all the positions the mayor sits on.

“Those are the types of things I initially began to work with the mayor-elect, providing him information on what these positions are and how often they meet.”

Oberlie said he was pleased to see Meer announce Mark Swistek will remain as police chief under the new administration.

“I’ve worked closely with him and am pleased Mark will be able to work in the same capacity,” he said.

He also praised Ronnie Martin, another Meer appointee, who will begin in January as fire chief after 24 years with the Michigan City Fire Department.

“I’ve known Ronnie and his family for years,” Oberlie said. “He is a second generation fire chief, and I’m sure he will do well.”

While Oberlie said he expects a smooth transition “from top to bottom,” he is unsure of any other department head changes Meer plans to make when he officially begins his four-year term Jan. 1.

The challenge, Oberlie says, will not be from mayor to mayor, but possibly at the department-head level.

“As those things come forward, it may be a bit of a challenge for some to provide that smoothness,” he said. “It’s important that our city continues to move forward.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:12 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com