Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could City be the next New Buffalo
Southsider2k12
post Mar 10 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

It is an interesting thought, but one that I would be sad to see happen. The opportunity to reshape this area is quite literally a once in a century chance. When we look backwards on our history, once of the biggest regrets seems to be the loss of the Hoosier Slide and that dune. We now have a chance to do something amazing there, and the idea that we would sell it to the highest bidder for luxury housing is near the bottom of my list of things I would want done there. Literally the only positive there would be the additional tax base that we would receive locally.

When I go to New Buffalo, it saddens me to see the crowded and overbuilt lakefront strained to shove one more condo building into a discombobulated and overly developed lake front. I already regret the look of what has happened in Long Beach over the last generation. I don't want to see it happen here.

And honestly, it might be a bit pie in the sky, but one of my favorite things about Michigan City is that we aren't like everywhere else. The blue collar chip on the shoulder, us against the world mentality of City should be reflected in our lake front. The fact that we are one of the very few places on Lake Michigan who hasn't sold out to the highest bidder makes our lakefront a great attraction. I think it would be a generational mistake to see out the NIPSCO property to this sort of over-development.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/residential...ext-new-buffalo
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:47 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com