3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> All is not well, ...at least according to a Gallup poll
Johnny Rush
post Mar 11 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

There are a total of 435 congressional districts in America. Gallup/USA did a year long study to show the well-being of different states and districts...and found...Indiana Congressional District Number 2 ranked 423rd for our "well being". We were also dead last for "healthy behavior" and 417th in "life evaluation", which is how you see your life now, when compared to five years from now.

I was pretty shocked, I actually really dig this area and wouldn't want to move anywhere else. The study is based on the World Health Organization's definition of health which includes the state of physical, mental and social well being.

You can see the "raw data" for yourself by going to http://www.ahiphiwire.org/WellBeing/

then just type in your zip code, click on show congressional districts and hit generate report

Signature Bar
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 11 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I read that story on Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_...es_of_happiness

Wyoming ranked 3rd for Happiness. I'm tellin' ya it's cause the sun shines EVERY DAY!!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 11 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

Interesting. I agree with the last statistic whole heartedly, as I have never seen an area that was so negative about everything. In my eyes it is the areas biggest challenge to improving itself is that change is shot down before it can even get off of the ground.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 11 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

I've lived here all my life, so I don't know any different. I have many friends who have moved away and most of them said they would never return to the midwest, for various reasons..such as, people are friendlier where they are, there is more to do, more culture, less pollution and better paying jobs.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 12 2009, 06:05 AM
Post #5

So Johnny, I am assuming you guys talked about this on Live and Local, what was the consensus? We don't have it as bad as lots of the country. There is way worse poverty in many intercity districts, in the Appalachians, and in the deep south. Our incomes show that our view of our jobs situation is way worse than reality shows, as it our well being index. We also are the worst in the country at taking care of ourselves. How crazy is that? Any overwhelming public opinion there? Why are we so excessively negative???
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 11 2009, 03:26 PM) *
I've lived here all my life, so I don't know any different. I have many friends who have moved away and most of them said they would never return to the midwest, for various reasons..such as, people are friendlier where they are, there is more to do, more culture, less pollution and better paying jobs.

That is a huge surprise to me and is the exact opposite of my experience Homey. I am not talking about MC alone (obviously I am new here). I am talking about Indiana and the midwest. I spent over 20 years in real estate in Indianapolis and worked with many transplants into Indiana. All of them (without exception) said that Indiana (Indianapolis area) was the friendliest place they had ever experienced. Followup with them in the year or two after they moved to Indiana, they loved it even more.

I have noticed a negativity in the mindsets of residents in the Michigan City area (also a lot of NW Indiana), that I have not experienced elsewhere in the state. I am coming to believe that this area's residents are their own worst enemies. That said, everyone here has been friendly to me and of course my nature is to be friendly. MC is a friendly place, if you are a friendly person.

Of course my daughter says I am too friendly. When she lived in DC area and I visited her, I often embarrassed her by initiating friendly small talk with strangers on the subways. (I could see that many of the people there are a little more defensive and keep to themselves more. However I did manage to strike up many friendly exchanges anyway) wink.gif

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Mar 12 2009, 07:05 AM) *
So Johnny, I am assuming you guys talked about this on Live and Local, what was the consensus? We don't have it as bad as lots of the country. There is way worse poverty in many intercity districts, in the Appalachians, and in the deep south. Our incomes show that our view of our jobs situation is way worse than reality shows, as it our well being index. We also are the worst in the country at taking care of ourselves. How crazy is that? Any overwhelming public opinion there? Why are we so excessively negative???

I wonder if a negative attitude is contagious or if it runs from one generation into another. It is true that Indiana (even this area of Indiana) is in better financial shape than many of the other states in the country at this time. Of course one of the reasons for that may be our questioning of any kind of change - that at least causes us to take a closer look at things prior to jumping onto a financial change bandwagon. However resistance to change out of fear is not a good thing.

Perhaps we should band together to help change the negative attitude wherever we can. I truly believe attitude can have an effect on our well being (emotionally, physically and financially to some extent). A good attitude is noticed and appreciated in job interviews and in the workplace. Working with or around negative people brings everyone down. Living with or around them may also have the same affect. I hope not. unsure.gif

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 12 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I can't justify it IndyT, it's their experiences I'm offering. I have family in North Carolina and they love it there, in San Antonio where the have adopted the whole Texan attitude where they believe there is no where else to live. Santa Barbara, where everything is so beautiful most days of the year, she even says the Walmarts are beautifly landscaped and the culture is different. Most say pedistrian traffic is better and they lead more active lifestyles.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Homey @ Mar 12 2009, 09:37 AM) *
I can't justify it IndyT, it's their experiences I'm offering. I have family in North Carolina and they love it there, in San Antonio where the have adopted the whole Texan attitude where they believe there is no where else to live. Santa Barbara, where everything is so beautiful most days of the year, she even says the Walmarts are beautifly landscaped and the culture is different. Most say pedistrian traffic is better and they lead more active lifestyles.

I think probably most people come to regard where they live as "God's country" (except for NW Indiana for some reason). However since moving here, I have been a major proponent of MC as "God's country" to my friends and relatives in central and southern Indiana. How could it not be? Beautiful lake and beaches, sand dunes, so many restaurants, shopping opportunities, nice movie theater, parks and other nice places to walk, etc (especially for such a small city). We have definite climate seasons that offer opportunities for a variety of outdoor activities year round. I have a friend who loves to visit and spend the day shopping in the local antique and junk stores, (and in the summer relax on the lakeshore) and then take advantage of the nighttime activities (Blue Chip, the local pubs, etc).

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 12 2009, 09:37 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Mar 12 2009, 10:25 AM) *

I think probably most people come to regard where they live as "God's country" (except for NW Indiana for some reason). However since moving here, I have been a major proponent of MC as "God's country" to my friends and relatives in central and southern Indiana. How could it not be? Beautiful lake and beaches, sand dunes, so many restaurants, shopping opportunities, nice movie theater, parks and other nice places to walk, etc (especially for such a small city). We have definite climate seasons that offer opportunities for a variety of outdoor activities year round. I have a friend who loves to visit and spend the day shopping in the local antique and junk stores, (and in the summer relax on the lakeshore) and then take advantage of the nighttime activities (Blue Chip, the local pubs, etc).

Good post. There is obviously something here worth seeing, because the tourism industry is huge. People come here to see our natural beauty, and they participate in many of our institutions. It is the people who are here as residents who seem to think it sucks here. The raw data agrees it isn't nearly as bad as many people think it is.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 12 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #11

Life is better here in Casper, WY, too. The economy is good. Currently things in the oilfield industry are a little slow and it's had a trickle down into other areas, but it's the oilfield industry so it will pick back up again soon.
The weather is good, the air is clean and the sun shines all the time. There are tons of activities all year long, and most of them are free so even the po' folks have something to do.

Don't get me wrong, MC is my home town and I love it. However, the people are full of hate and misery. The weather is rotton and too cloudy and gloomy. The economy and schools are in a bad state. What's to be happy about there?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kapkomet
post Mar 12 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #12

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Well, I'll offer an opinion on this.

I lived in Northern Indiana most of my life prior to 2000. I moved to Texas on some poster's wedding day... laugh.gif

The attitude here is so much different then Northern Indiana. I think that a lot of people sort of have that "welfare" mentality up there. I don't mean to knock anyone from there, but it just seems like people think that they deserve to be given more up there. When it isn't, they get bitter. I'm not sure where it even stems from but it's certainly evident.

In tourist areas, such as MC, people (out of towners) aren't there for the attitudes, work, or any other thing, they are there to get away from their day to day. Surroundings and beauty is soothing, but when you see it every day, it's not the same. People that are from MC don't think about what's there because they see it every day.

Really, an attitude is something that becomes a self-fulfilling thing. When one person starts thinking it stinks to live somewhere it sort of builds on itself.

In the summertime, MC is a great place. It's not in the winter...... biggrin.gif (jab at SS... laugh.gif)

People need to think happy. If they do, it's generally happier. (oh, how profound...)

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 12 2009, 10:47 AM) *
Well, I'll offer an opinion on this.

I lived in Northern Indiana most of my life prior to 2000. I moved to Texas on some poster's wedding day... laugh.gif

The attitude here is so much different then Northern Indiana. I think that a lot of people sort of have that "welfare" mentality up there. I don't mean to knock anyone from there, but it just seems like people think that they deserve to be given more up there. When it isn't, they get bitter. I'm not sure where it even stems from but it's certainly evident.

In tourist areas, such as MC, people (out of towners) aren't there for the attitudes, work, or any other thing, they are there to get away from their day to day. Surroundings and beauty is soothing, but when you see it every day, it's not the same. People that are from MC don't think about what's there because they see it every day.

Really, an attitude is something that becomes a self-fulfilling thing. When one person starts thinking it stinks to live somewhere it sort of builds on itself.

In the summertime, MC is a great place. It's not in the winter...... biggrin.gif (jab at SS... laugh.gif )

People need to think happy. If they do, it's generally happier. (oh, how profound...)

As a relative newcomer, I have not yet caught that "entitled" attitude (and hope I never do) that you describe here. I have seen evidence of it (union strikers at the OG perhaps). I think we all need to make an effort to bring share/spread some happiness here. It is amazing what affect over time, a smile or a brief helping hand can have. I have had many a smile returned, a friendly chat on the street or in a business and received a kind act in return for an earlier one. If I am ignored or rebuffed, I keep trying and have won over some of the grouchiest of people. I think a good joint project of this forum (for those of us who still live here) is to spread a little positive attitude. We all have different spheres of influence, live in different neighborhoods, work at different businesses and interact with different people. I think we can make a difference if we make an effort. Anyone here up to joining in on this?

I beg to differ with you on the winters in MC - I love them. The snow is beautiful and MC winters provides the best snow sporting activities and ice fishing opportunities in the state of Indiana and rival the best in the midwest. Once again...it's all in how you see things. But that's just me.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 12 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Life is better here in Casper, WY, too. The economy is good. Currently things in the oilfield industry are a little slow and it's had a trickle down into other areas, but it's the oilfield industry so it will pick back up again soon.
The weather is good, the air is clean and the sun shines all the time. There are tons of activities all year long, and most of them are free so even the po' folks have something to do.

Don't get me wrong, MC is my home town and I love it. However, the people are full of hate and misery. The weather is rotton and too cloudy and gloomy. The economy and schools are in a bad state. What's to be happy about there?

Ok call me Pollyanna wink.gif . The economy in Indiana is better than in many other areas of the country. The economy in MC is not as bad as many are making it out to be. I love the weather and the cloudy days give way to the most beautiful sunny days I have ever viewed.

Since I no longer have school aged children, I cannot testify to the quality of the schools. However there are more school options here than in most small cities of it's size. There are Parochial (Lutheran, Catholic, etc), Prep and Public schools. There are small and large colleges and tech institutes. Per capita, I believe there are more schooling options here, then there might be in Indianapolis (and it has many). We took advantage of both the Indpls public and parochial schools when our children were younger (while earning an income lower than the current median income in MC). I understand that not all people believe they have this option (and some may not). However many of these offer scholarships and grants (or donor sponsors). Research and inquiries can be done to find whether these options are available on a person by person basis.

I do think many people here do not avail themselves of the opportunities that do exist. MC has an excellent public library that offers reference help to the community. Scholarship, grants and other school funding research can be started by a visit to the public library. Personal inquiries can be made at the schools themselves. As an example, (and as you know from other threads), my sorority offers a $750 yearly scholarship opportunity for Indiana students studying various med tech fields. Brown Mackey, Ivy Tech (along with the state universities), and many hospitals all offer training in some of these fields. Yet despite the advertising help of WIMS and the local school counselors, we received no inquiries from this area for this scholarship. Is no one in this area currently enrolled in or planning to enroll in schooling for these fields? (If that is true, are there no students attending the med tech area classes at Brown Mackey or Ivy Tech or Purdue or IU or Notre Dame?)

Indy Transplant (aka Pollyanna) and for those of you who do not know who Pollyanna is, go research it at your MC public library. biggrin.gif

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 12 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #15

Great post IT! (or Polly wink.gif )

I have been in trading for 10 years now. The first thing they teach you is to get your losing trades off of the books. If I didn't believe we had something valuable in MC, I wouldn't be here!

It just amazes me how many people think this is the worst place going, when the empirical data tells us something completely different.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 12 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #16

Oh, I know there are far worse places to live than that area. Trust me, I think I've lived in a few of them! laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
kapkomet
post Mar 12 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #17

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Again, it goes back to perception. All kidding aside, MC has a lot to offer. As a matter of fact, it's one of those things that if the city actually could get some coat-tails on some of the other things going on, especially in Chicago, the city could just really thrive. It's one of those things from an outsider looking in that I have not ever really understood. I think MC is a hidden gem, if someone / companies would just invest in it.

I know it gets its knocks about school system, etc. However, it only takes 6-7 years, to completely change that... and it starts with the kids and their parents. 6-7 years in a city is not long at all for it to transform itself.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Mar 12 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 12 2009, 03:50 PM) *
Again, it goes back to perception. All kidding aside, MC has a lot to offer. As a matter of fact, it's one of those things that if the city actually could get some coat-tails on some of the other things going on, especially in Chicago, the city could just really thrive. It's one of those things from an outsider looking in that I have not ever really understood. I think MC is a hidden gem, if someone / companies would just invest in it.

I know it gets its knocks about school system, etc. However, it only takes 6-7 years, to completely change that... and it starts with the kids and their parents. 6-7 years in a city is not long at all for it to transform itself.

I agree. (but I guess I would also be considered an outsider looking in since I am so new here.)

Your post brought up another thought. I have noticed NW Indiana is always attempting to distance itself from it's own capital city (Indianapolis) and associates itself only with Chicago. I understand that Chicago is closer (although one hour versus less than 3 hours is not that much difference).

Blue Chip caught on to the fact that Indianapolis is less than 3 hours away, does not have a "real" casino and has a million person population (Marion County). They then wisely chose to advertise heavily there and are reaping benefits from it. Of course by advertising in Indianapolis (especially on the tv stations there), they actually reach an even larger central Indiana population.
Many people in Indianapolis had never (and some still never have) heard of Michigan City or they think it is in Michigan. There is very little information available in or around Indianapolis about the great "hidden gem", Michigan City, and the fact that it is located in the state of Indiana.

Just a note: I have my own nickname for Michigan City among my friends in Indianapolis...I call it the North Pole of Indiana. I started that this last winter when I was sending them pictures of the snow and Washington Park with its beautiful lights at Christmas. I have intrigued my friends enough to cause them to visit and more are planning to come this summer.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Homey
post Mar 12 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I wonder if the over-all depression about the city are from some of us who have lived here all our lives and remember a thriving downtown, a cleaner park, more high school spirit, less crime and a sense of community.

I for one see the difference.

I think we connect with Chicago since we're on their time and get their t.v. I love Chicago. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 12 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #20

I have to echo Homey's reply.

I remember when the square was closed and people could just walk around. When adults kept their eyes on ALL children and it was not uncommon to be scolded by a stranger when caught misbehaving. (and don't you dare sass or you'd get drug to your parents by your ear!)

When neighbors visited with each other. When Elston & Rogers played against each other and the whole town was painted red, white, blue, and gold. When the parade had real floats and people would be lining Franklin St starting at 8 a.m., but nobody really stayed in their spot because they were too busy walking up and down the street visiting with each other. When the line at DQ stretched down to Greenwood and Al's parking lot was full of cars for DQ.
When EVERYBODY attended high school games. I remember the Red Devil gym being so full during a regular season game that it was often standing room only. When Ames Field was packed to the gills and there were so many people it was standing room only.
What happened?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:48 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com