2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Football Coach
ksmi55_08
post Feb 11 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 995

so now that Buzea has gone off to coach in Illinois, does that mean we will be losing other football coaches? im not worried about Cicero leaving, I'd hope he would't do that. but some of the other coaches, that were brought in by buzz could be leaving which really hurts the program. One of those coaches, D. Ortiz, is also now the baseball coach(the first one in years to coach multiple years) so if he goes with Buzea were also losing a very good baseball coach and have to start from scratch there again. Rich Lenard is a great asset to the coaching staff, and unless im mistaken he refused to coach football until Buzea came here and now that hes gone does that mean Lenard will stop coaching? we finally get a respectable coach in here and we can't even keep him around long enough to coach any class all 4 years. very dissappointing, I played under buzz my senior year and really enjoyed his coaching style compared to past coaches *caugh*Holmes*caugh* i wish him luck in his future, but i cant help but think that this takes the program right back to where it was when Holmes left. hopefully the strength coach(Cates) will stay, but he came with Buzea so I really don't think he will. its amazing the way they changed that weight room, there was so much more motivation to work out with a room to be proud of like that. anyone have any other thoughts on this issue?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 11 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(ksmi55_08 @ Feb 11 2010, 05:54 AM) *

so now that Buzea has gone off to coach in Illinois, does that mean we will be losing other football coaches?

Those guys have alot of options, they could either remain here, join Buz at Homewood-Flossmoor or coach somewhere else in the area. It's a wide open market, especially considering that in addition to Michigan City there are currently three other 5A high schools in Northwest Indiana that are looking to hire a new head football coach which are Portage, Lake Central and East Chicago.
+Quote Post
wayne
post Feb 23 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 998

I believe Coach Buzea is taking 5 current staff members with him to Illinois, although nothing can be confirmed until it becomes official. By the way, did anybody catch how much he will be making as a Teacher/coach? Ready for this, $109,000 as a base teachers contract and an additional 15 grand for Coaching and a weight lifting stipend (thats 124k) and from what I hear from somebody who teaches in that district that doesnt even include Summer Camp money which can easily reach an extra 10 grand. Thats $135,000 and he is not even going over there as an administrator. WOW!!! Im guessing that he makes a maximum of 80 k at MC. as a Dean/Coach. That is some serious coin and from what I understand the State of Illinois has the best teacher retirement in the country.

With all that being said, money isnt everything, but I can see why he made the move. In my opinion, I dont see us getting another quality coach and Im afraid the MC football program will be right back to where it was before Buzea got here.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 24 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(wayne @ Feb 23 2010, 11:44 PM) *

I believe Coach Buzea is taking 5 current staff members with him to Illinois, although nothing can be confirmed until it becomes official. By the way, did anybody catch how much he will be making as a Teacher/coach? Ready for this, $109,000 as a base teachers contract and an additional 15 grand for Coaching and a weight lifting stipend (thats 124k) and from what I hear from somebody who teaches in that district that doesnt even include Summer Camp money which can easily reach an extra 10 grand. Thats $135,000 and he is not even going over there as an administrator. WOW!!! Im guessing that he makes a maximum of 80 k at MC. as a Dean/Coach. That is some serious coin and from what I understand the State of Illinois has the best teacher retirement in the country.

With all that being said, money isnt everything, but I can see why he made the move. In my opinion, I dont see us getting another quality coach and Im afraid the MC football program will be right back to where it was before Buzea got here.

Wow! Buz is going to be rich!!! ohmy.gif But that's the going rate for teachers in Illinois with his amount of tenure.

Everyone pretty much knew all along that Michigan City was only going to be a transitional gig for Buz. I recall prior to the 2006 season Buz was set to take a similar position at Sandburg High in Orland Park but there was some kind of snafu on their part that prevented him from taking the job. So he remained at Portage that season before coming here. Seeing how successful he's been sooner or later the time was going to come when he was going to relocate. People change jobs all the time and this was just an opportunity for him not to pass up. It's my understanding that he won out from around 100 applicants for the Homewood-Flossmoor position, considering the salary, it's easy to see why so many had applied. I wish all the best for the Buzea family.

I think who ever the new coach is going to be, City football will be just fine.
+Quote Post
wayne
post Feb 24 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

I just went to the school web-site (its pretty impressive and the school looks top shelf) and looked at the summer camps. They charge $200 per camper? Are you kidding me? Im not very familair with that area, so does anyone know what type of community this is. Is it that affluent that it can demand that type of camp fee or could that be a misprint? If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Im still shaking my head at all of this. Deer can you shed any light on this?
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Feb 25 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 964

QUOTE(wayne @ Feb 24 2010, 02:17 PM) *

I just went to the school web-site (its pretty impressive and the school looks top shelf) and looked at the summer camps. They charge $200 per camper? Are you kidding me? Im not very familair with that area, so does anyone know what type of community this is. Is it that affluent that it can demand that type of camp fee or could that be a misprint? If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Im still shaking my head at all of this. Deer can you shed any light on this?

The Homewood/Flossmoor area is very affluent. If they are asking $200 per camper then I guarantee you those campers will get more than a tshirt. For the last 18 mos I have been working on 183rd St in Hazel Crest, IL and my job is located not 5 minutes from the high school. I think this is an EXCELLENT opportunity for Coach Buzea.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 3 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(ksmi55_08 @ Feb 11 2010, 05:54 AM) *

so now that Buzea has gone off to coach in Illinois, does that mean we will be losing other football coaches? im not worried about Cicero leaving, I'd hope he would't do that. but some of the other coaches, that were brought in by buzz could be leaving which really hurts the program. One of those coaches, D. Ortiz, is also now the baseball coach(the first one in years to coach multiple years) so if he goes with Buzea were also losing a very good baseball coach and have to start from scratch there again. Rich Lenard is a great asset to the coaching staff, and unless im mistaken he refused to coach football until Buzea came here and now that hes gone does that mean Lenard will stop coaching? we finally get a respectable coach in here and we can't even keep him around long enough to coach any class all 4 years. very dissappointing, I played under buzz my senior year and really enjoyed his coaching style compared to past coaches *caugh*Holmes*caugh* i wish him luck in his future, but i cant help but think that this takes the program right back to where it was when Holmes left. hopefully the strength coach(Cates) will stay, but he came with Buzea so I really don't think he will. its amazing the way they changed that weight room, there was so much more motivation to work out with a room to be proud of like that. anyone have any other thoughts on this issue?

If South Central can hire Jeff Karras that is huge for their program. . .one can only wonder who gets the position at MCHS
+Quote Post
wayne
post Mar 14 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Was at the Regional yesterdat and heard some interesting news about the football position. Supposedly, they are interviewing this week. Several applicants have turned down the opportunity to interview leaving only a couple interested in the job. Seems that Buzea is taking all but 2 assistants with him to Illinois, leaving only Coach Leonard and another coach that was brought in 2 years ago by the name of Schriber. I would doubt Leonard would want the position, but anything is possible. Especially with the program in the bestshape it has ever been in. If he doesnt want it, that leaves shriber, who I have been told has a very checkered past from what I have been told. When doing an internet search, articles claimed he resigned under pressure in the middle of the football season due to inappropriate contact and text messages with a female student in Greensburg.

Not sure what to make of this, but will the MC Administration look past this incident and hire someone like this or will they be forced to hire someone else outside the district, which from what I heard yesterday, there is very little interest in the job from people on the outside.

I, for one, would like to see the football program continue its winning ways. Unfortunately, this might end up a mess, especially when it comes down to the Administration and school board calling the shots.

Any body have an opinion on what should take place? lets hear it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 14 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #9

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So is Cicero one of the guys leaving with Buz? He was always the top name to take over internally that I heard.
+Quote Post
wayne
post Mar 14 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

yep. If you read carefully, only 2 assistants remain
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 14 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(wayne @ Mar 14 2010, 11:43 AM) *

Was at the Regional yesterdat and heard some interesting news about the football position. Supposedly, they are interviewing this week. Several applicants have turned down the opportunity to interview leaving only a couple interested in the job. Seems that Buzea is taking all but 2 assistants with him to Illinois, leaving only Coach Leonard and another coach that was brought in 2 years ago by the name of Schriber. I would doubt Leonard would want the position, but anything is possible. Especially with the program in the bestshape it has ever been in. If he doesnt want it, that leaves shriber, who I have been told has a very checkered past from what I have been told. When doing an internet search, articles claimed he resigned under pressure in the middle of the football season due to inappropriate contact and text messages with a female student in Greensburg.

Not sure what to make of this, but will the MC Administration look past this incident and hire someone like this or will they be forced to hire someone else outside the district, which from what I heard yesterday, there is very little interest in the job from people on the outside.

I, for one, would like to see the football program continue its winning ways. Unfortunately, this might end up a mess, especially when it comes down to the Administration and school board calling the shots.

Any body have an opinion on what should take place? lets hear it.

[Moderating]

Wayne, while what you have to say has value, we'd appreciate it if you only said it once. Which is why I deleted the other two times you cut and pasted this message into two new threads you started in this and another forum.

[/Moderating]
+Quote Post
wayne
post Mar 16 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

According to all my sources at MCHS,interviews are over and this is the guy who will be recommended to take over the Wolves Football program. Unfortunately, his past is one with some question marks, and with everything that is happening in LaPorte, do you think this recommendation will be approved by the MCAS Superintendent and School board. Seems like a risky hire. Below is just a sample of what is on the internet surrounding ths candidate. anybody have any thoughts? Dont want to draw any conclusions, but something must have been pretty bad for a coach to resign in the middle of a season.

When Greensburg Community High School’s varsity football team takes the field against arch rival Batesville tonight it will be without its head coach.

Wednesday afternoon, coach Eric Schreiber resigned from his position with the football team as well as the school citing “family and personal reasons,” according to Assistant Superintendent Dr. Dennis Goldberg. The school corporation, however, was not willing to comment, he said, on the allegations swirling around the abrupt leave of a its coach during the middle of a successful football season.

Schreiber, however, elaborated on his reasons for stepping down.

“I do have family issues going on. I made a bad choice in some words I sent to a student that involved cuss words,” Schreiber said via telephone from his home Thursday evening.

According to Schreiber, he had been texting a female student whom he had contact with as a coach and teacher at the school. He wanted it made clear “nothing criminal” or inappropriate took place between the two, merely a lack of judgment in the words he chose in a recent text message sent to the girl.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 17 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Got a link for that by any chance?

Never mind, found the article on google.

Link.

This post has been edited by Dave: Mar 17 2010, 02:05 AM
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 17 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #14

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(wayne @ Mar 16 2010, 10:22 PM) *

According to all my sources at MCHS,interviews are over and this is the guy who will be recommended to take over the Wolves Football program. Unfortunately, his past is one with some question marks, and with everything that is happening in LaPorte, do you think this recommendation will be approved by the MCAS Superintendent and School board. Seems like a risky hire. Below is just a sample of what is on the internet surrounding ths candidate. anybody have any thoughts? Dont want to draw any conclusions, but something must have been pretty bad for a coach to resign in the middle of a season.

When Greensburg Community High School’s varsity football team takes the field against arch rival Batesville tonight it will be without its head coach.

Wednesday afternoon, coach Eric Schreiber resigned from his position with the football team as well as the school citing “family and personal reasons,” according to Assistant Superintendent Dr. Dennis Goldberg. The school corporation, however, was not willing to comment, he said, on the allegations swirling around the abrupt leave of a its coach during the middle of a successful football season.

Schreiber, however, elaborated on his reasons for stepping down.

“I do have family issues going on. I made a bad choice in some words I sent to a student that involved cuss words,” Schreiber said via telephone from his home Thursday evening.

According to Schreiber, he had been texting a female student whom he had contact with as a coach and teacher at the school. He wanted it made clear “nothing criminal” or inappropriate took place between the two, merely a lack of judgment in the words he chose in a recent text message sent to the girl.

Maybe LaPorte is hiring? [too soon?]
+Quote Post
wayne
post Mar 18 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #15

Getting Comfortable

According to my sources, this is the other finalist for the football job. Are we thought of in such a bad light that these are the only type of coaches we can attract. Certainly we can do better than two guys who have to resign because of inappropriate contact with young girls. Our community should be outraged. Im even madder now that the administration let Buzea get away. Lets pool our money and see if we can get him to stay. Its not much but Ill throw everything in I got. I had too much fun last season and dont want to see it go to where it wuz before. Stnad up and demand we get a quality coach who doesnt bring the baggage that these two guys bring.

Police: Coach Who Resigned Gave Alcohol To Minor
Investigation Not Finished, Sheriff Says

POSTED: 3:24 pm EDT July 20, 2007
UPDATED: 7:49 pm EDT July 20, 2007

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. -- A probe into allegations of misconduct by a high school coach who resigned this week has found that he gave alcohol to an 18-year-old woman at a concert, authorities said Friday.

Investigators still are checking other allegations against Steve Stirn, but they're currently recommending to prosecutors that he be charged with a misdemeanor count of furnishing alcohol to a minor, Hamilton County Sheriff Steve Carter said.

"Several witnesses saw (Stirn) provide alcoholic beverages to a minor while attending (Monday's) Kenny Chesney concert ... at the Verizon Wireless Music Center," Carter said.

Stirn resigned this week as head football coach of Hamilton Heights High School in Arcadia. The school system said Thursday it was investigating allegations of "inappropriate personal conduct" but did not give details.

Police said their own probe centers on whether Stirn engaged in inappropriate conduct with students. Carter said investigators still have to examine two computer hard drives as part of the case, 6News' Tanya Spencer reported.

"There is still forensic analysis to do on the hard drive of both a laptop and a desktop computer, but it would be speculative of me to say whether there will or will not be any incriminating information found on (the computers)," Carter told reporters Friday.

Information on whose computers will be examined wasn't available.

As for the alcohol allegations, one witness told police that Stirn provided beer to an 18-year-old former Hamilton Heights student during Monday's Kenny Chesney concert, according to a probable cause affidavit.

The witness said Stirn probably gave the teen four to six beers, but possibly up to 10, according to the affidavit.

Stirn's wife told 6News on Friday that neither she nor her husband had any comment on the case.

Stirn's Huskies won twice as many games as they lost during his nine years as coach.

The school is searching for a new coach. The team's first game is Aug. 17.

Previous Stories:
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 18 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Forgive me for not totally buying into the "buzz is the greatest coach ever" BS. He is leaving for more money but more importantly I think he knows what he has coming up and figures it is time to leave. He never won a sectional game. Let me repeat. He never won a sectional game here at MC. His team was shut out by Elkart Memorial. He had a very good running back that carried this team for the majority of the time Buzea was here. 12 wins in 3 years(Roosevelt 3 times, SB Washington 2 times, Lake Central 2 times) I will give him credit for bringing a sense of respectibility to the program but he is not the savior. Give any HS coach 12 or more assistants of his choosing, carte blanche money to spend(field turf, weight room, coaches meeting room) and I would expect similar results. If others want to leave and follow the messiah I say good riddance!!!
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Mar 18 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Mar 18 2010, 02:00 PM) *

Forgive me for not totally buying into the "buzz is the greatest coach ever" BS. He is leaving for more money but more importantly I think he knows what he has coming up and figures it is time to leave. He never won a sectional game. Let me repeat. He never won a sectional game here at MC. His team was shut out by Elkart Memorial. He had a very good running back that carried this team for the majority of the time Buzea was here. 12 wins in 3 years(Roosevelt 3 times, SB Washington 2 times, Lake Central 2 times) I will give him credit for bringing a sense of respectibility to the program but he is not the savior. Give any HS coach 12 or more assistants of his choosing, carte blanche money to spend(field turf, weight room, coaches meeting room) and I would expect similar results. If others want to leave and follow the messiah I say good riddance!!!

You're entitled to your opinion, but two things: You're right about the Roosevelt wins being awfully weak, but South Bend Washington has gone 15-6 in the last two seasons, with two of those losses to Lowell and another to Penn. Beating that team is actually a feather in your cap.

Second, you really have to factor in where the program was when Buzea took over. Outside of "the Fics year," wins were few and far between. Under Buzea, City was always competitive. I agree, the lack of sectional success hurts, but the program was/would be much better off with Buzea than without.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 18 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I will concede that SB Washington has gotten better the last two years under the ND graduate. I will also agree that the team has been better than under Holmes. I would also have to say that the "Fics" year was very similar to last season and I was not and am not sold that MC turned the corner. With as many seniors as they will graduate, this team was due for a let down next year whether it is Buzea or whoever takes the reigns. I just don't want to hear next November how "Buzz" would have gotten us a couple more wins. The guy gets paid by MCAS pretty much to be a full time football coach. He knows the cupboard isn't necessarily full and it is an opportune time to leave.

Someone needs to explain to me why a LaPorte or Portage can compete for the DAC or a sectional title and MC cannot.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Mar 18 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Mar 18 2010, 02:36 PM) *

I will concede that SB Washington has gotten better the last two years under the ND graduate. I will also agree that the team has been better than under Holmes. I would also have to say that the "Fics" year was very similar to last season and I was not and am not sold that MC turned the corner. With as many seniors as they will graduate, this team was due for a let down next year whether it is Buzea or whoever takes the reigns. I just don't want to hear next November how "Buzz" would have gotten us a couple more wins. The guy gets paid by MCAS pretty much to be a full time football coach. He knows the cupboard isn't necessarily full and it is an opportune time to leave.

Someone needs to explain to me why a LaPorte or Portage can compete for the DAC or a sectional title and MC cannot.

The biggest difference between 2009 and 2005 (the Fics year) is how City performed in games it did not win. The Wolves lost five games that year by an average of 33 points per game. All were blowouts and over early. This past year, they lost four games by an average of 12.8 ppg, but they were in every single game except the sectional game in which they just never really got going.

The bottom line is, the Pop Warner program has to start producins a plethora of big-time high school talent. The wins at that level are nice, but it has to start translating to Friday nights or it will never turn around. If you don't believe in Pop Warner, then I agree. The future looks pretty glum.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 18 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Pop Warner is a nice program but it is not used properly as a feeder program. You have weight limits that discriminate against "larger" kids. Many of these kids cannot play organized football until junior high. That puts you at a disadvantage. Most of the kids that play Pop Warner cannot play at the HS level because they are too small.

For a Pop Warner team to be successful the trick is to limit as many kids as possible from playing. Players are required to play a certain amount of plays in Pop Warner. The more players on the team, the less amount of playing time for the star players. A successful HS program needs "bodies" to practice against and to play so kids aren't going both ways. Pop Warner, which is a nice program, doesn't equate to a successful HS program. I believe it may actually be a detriment.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:12 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com