> Roger Kaputnik's Pet PeevesĀ©
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 13 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Ah, where to begin...

I will just put one a day (more or less) so they can be digested properly by the Gentle Reader.

1. When you hold open a door for someone, that person holds the door also--as if you are gonna slam it shut on that person.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 13 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Yup. You stand there thinking, "Why'd I waste my time with this? I could be halfway through this place by now!"

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 17 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #3

2. When people say AN historic...instead of A historic... What is it with this? Don't people remember from first grade when to use AN and when to use A? Are they trying to sound hoity-toity (which is what I think)?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 17 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 17 2007, 08:01 AM) *

2. When people say AN historic...instead of A historic...

laugh.gif I always wonder if they didn't do so well in english when the were in school. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 17 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 13 2007, 07:52 AM) *

Ah, where to begin...

I will just put one a day (more or less) so they can be digested properly by the Gentle Reader.
1. When you hold open a door for someone, that person holds the door also--as if you are gonna slam it shut on that person.

I was walking out of the gas station the other day and a girl was going in, I held the door for her and she used the other one. I think that might be worse than holding a held door.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 17 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 17 2007, 01:01 PM) *

I was walking out of the gas station the other day and a girl was going in, I held the door for her and she used the other one. I think that might be worse than holding a held door.

A large pet peeve of mine is people who don't say "thank you" after someone holds the door for you. I am not joking when I say this, 90% of people on the train don't use manners when the door is held for them. The strange thing is that the group of people with the best manners are the kids. The adults are terrible.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 18 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #7

3. Corner-cutters: These are the people who cut across a corner lot, say a gas station, to avoid a red light or stop sign. While not illegal, it is revelatory of a "Me" personality type.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
BioTeach
post Sep 18 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 9

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 17 2007, 08:01 AM) *

2. When people say AN historic...instead of A historic... What is it with this? Don't people remember from first grade when to use AN and when to use A? Are they trying to sound hoity-toity (which is what I think)?

My students get confused on when to use a and when to use an before words that begin with h too. Only use an before h words if the h is not pronounced. For example, I waited for the phone call for an hour and a half.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 18 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 18 2007, 11:12 AM) *

3. Corner-cutters: These are the people who cut across a corner lot, say a gas station, to avoid a red light or stop sign. While not illegal, it is revelatory of a "Me" personality type.

Oh, that one really gets me too. But I thought that was illegal. A cop friend of mine said it was and when he sees people do it, he pulls them over and gives them a ticket. I forget what the offense is called though, but it's like a $50-$75 ticket.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 18 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

ooh. I've got one. Bill Dugan. I have no idea who this guy is, but must he vandalize every street sign with his bumper stickers. Enough.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 19 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #11

4. People who throw their cigarette butts on the ground, either from on foot or out the window of a car.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 19 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 19 2007, 08:45 AM) *

4. People who throw their cigarette butts on the ground, either from on foot or out the window of a car.

I agree.
While in my car, I use the ashtray and when on foot I field strip it and put it in my pocket until I find a trash can.

In Wyoming you have to do that because it is so dry here. Once, over 1000 acres burned because of one ciggy butt thrown out a car window. Then there was the pick-up that had a gas can in its bed and exploded because of another ciggy butt thrown out a window.

Not only is it unsightly, but people don't realize how much damage it can do.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 21 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #13

5. Loudmouth parents who yell at kids' sporting events.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 21 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 21 2007, 08:34 AM) *

And commencement ceremonies, pageants, concerts, plays, award ceremonies......

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 21 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

How about when someone pays with a check in the express lane at the supermarket. My face probably turns 10 shades of purple.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 22 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 21 2007, 04:34 PM) *

How about when someone pays with a check in the express lane at the supermarket. My face probably turns 10 shades of purple.

Yeah, that drives me nuts, too. Especially at Walnart (my sister said that in a text as a typo, but I liked it so now I call it that) where the cashiers seem to get hired based on how slow they move. It wouldn't be so bad if one wrote out most of the check while waiting in line so, by the time their purchase is totalled, they only have to write the dollar amount in. That's how I do it. I even go so far as to write my license number and have it ready to show the cashier so she can verify it for accuracy. By doing that, the transaction is completed faster than using cash.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 28 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #17

6. People who do not yield the right-of-way at four-way stops and people who do yield the ROW, usually accompanied by persistent hand-waving; the latter are indulging in some sort of feel-goodism and think they are being nice--in reality, they are disrupting the smooth flow of traffic.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Oct 3 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 21 2007, 09:34 AM) *

"Amen" to that one, brother. Parents get so involved and lost in the moment, they inevitably forget what athletic competition is all about. I saw more than a little of that at a soccer game this past week when, for various reasons, I was rooting for players on both opposing teams. Actually, that is the perfect situation to be in if your goal is to be a good sport; and its the perfect "state of mind" to be in when you watch any contest, especially one involving children.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 9 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #19

7. When people misuse the two-letter state abbreviations; usually, the second letter is in lower case and a period is used. F'rinstance, "In." instead of "IN" or "Ind." It is ignorant and annoying.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 15 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #20

8. When people say in-FLOO-ence instead of IN-fluence, and af-FLOO-ent instead of AF-fluent. Why? Why? Why?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:53 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com