Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kohl's may be on its way to City
Southsider2k12
post Nov 28 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I just received notification that people representing the national retailer Kohl's are going to come before the Michigan City Planning Commission in December to ask for a subdivision in the old K-Mart Plaza to eventually build a new location in Michigan City. Even if/when approved, this is the first step in the process, and it could be some time before we see construction start to take place.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 1 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...62880622669.txt

New Kohl’s store may be built in Dunes Plaza

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:09 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Locating a new Kohl’s store in the Dunes Plaza may spearhead a multi-business expansion if a minor subdivision request is approved by the Michigan City Plan Commission next month.

Key Development Partners, LLC, a Chicago-based developer and surveyor Robert Palm filed a petition before the Planning Department late Monday afternoon with hopes to create a four acre lot for a Kohl’s minor subdivision in Dunes Plaza. If approved, a new building for Kohl’s will replace the former K-mart and Hobby Lobby locations on the south side of the plaza.

City Planner John Pugh says the possibility is “an excellent prospect.”

“It bodes well for the city and would mean a lot for the Dunes Plaza,” he said. “It would be just the shot in the arm they need.”

If the lot is created, Pugh expects the new Kohl’s to be located in a new building, which would replace one of the existing structures.

“The length of time for that would be entirely up to the developer,” he said.

Although he could not confirm any particular plan to have additional businesses add locations in the Dunes Plaza, Pugh said the Kohl’s developer has “a lot of ideas for community development.”

The chances for approval of the Kohl’s project appear to be “very strong,” according to Pugh.

If the lots are created by the Michigan City Plan Commission at the Dec. 27 meeting, scheduled for 7 p.m. at City Hall, the remainder of the decisions will be made by the developer, who Pugh said began discussions with the city on the Kohl’s possibility last fall.

Michigan City Mayor Chuck Oberlie is another who says the chance for approval of this proposal is strong.

“When minor subdivisions appear on the agendas, they are usually straight forward,” he said. “They either comply with the city or not. With that in mind, this has an excellent opportunity to be approved.”

Oberlie would not specify which businesses the developer has spoken to about expanding to the Dunes Plaza, but did express his excitement regarding this first step.

“We’re excited,” he said. “This is a project that will bring the Dunes Plaza to life, and we hope to see more activities there soon.”

The addition of Kohl’s could begin to attract other stores to the plaza, which has seen a number of businesses vacate over the past decade.

Pugh discussed the relocation of Hobby Lobby to their current location on Franklin Street and the closing of the plaza’s movie theater years ago.

“Hobby Lobby was a real anchor there,” Pugh said.

While many of the decisions will lie with the Chicago-based developer if the lot is approved, Pugh said the demolition of the building currently in that location could be completed by early spring.

“Construction (of a new store) is still a ways away,” he said.

As part of the official petition filed with the Planning Department, the developers are requesting a waiver from the requirement that all lots have frontage on a public street.

This, the application states, would allow the Kohl’s store access to both U.S. 20 and Franklin Street.

Neither Key Development Partners representative Steve Panko nor surveyor Robert Palm could be reached Tuesday for comment.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 2 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #3

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...7f188866788.txt

Official: Impact felt immediately if Dune Plaza rebirth occurs

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:08 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — While making no specific reference to Kohl’s, John Regetz, Michigan City Economic Development Corp. director, said a redevelopment project like one that would include Kohl’s and other retail shops moving into Dunes Plaza would immediately “do you a couple things” for the community.

“It reduces any blight from buildings that are empty and obsolete and haven’t been maintained like they should,” Regetz said. “It will also generate property tax revenues in an area that has not seen that recently.”

Regetz says Dunes Plaza, home to a number of businesses along U.S. 20 across from Marquette Mall, is a prime example.

The idea of retail shops returning to the area that once was home to a movie theater, Kmart and Hobby Lobby, reminded Regetz of the current redevelopment occurring on the city’s North End.

There, he said, “The redevelopment projects provide jobs and attraction to the community.”

According to Scott Morris, Kohl’s director of public relations, the possible opening of a store in a new community is “not something (they) ordinarily discuss.”

While stating he is not an official spokesman for real-estate matters, Morris said he was unsure of any plan to expand to Michigan City.

Vicki Shamion, the company’s senior vice president of public and community relations, also would not confirm the Michigan City plan.

“At this time, we’ve not announced any plans to open a new store in (this) community,” she wrote in an emailed statement. “Kohl’s has an ongoing real estate assessment process. At any given time, Kohl’s is reviewing sites in communities nationwide.

“We do not comment on real estate speculation,” she added.
+Quote Post
mc46360
post Dec 4 2011, 04:23 AM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 971

Well, I wonder if everybody will be against this like everything else that wants to locate in Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 4 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(mc46360 @ Dec 4 2011, 04:23 AM) *

Well, I wonder if everybody will be against this like everything else that wants to locate in Michigan City

The sentiment has been pretty universally positive about this. This most negative thing has been that we should be attracting higher paying jobs, but I have yet to see anyone say that Kohl's shouldn't open here.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 4 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Give it time.....some nay-sayer will come out of the woodwrok.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Dec 4 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 954

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 4 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Give it time.....some nay-sayer will come out of the woodwrok.

C'mon now Ang, be a positive force for change... Don't encourage negativity by waiting for or expecting it...

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 5 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

The only question is how many of these national chain type big box retailers can Michigan City continue to support? Will this have any effect on Marquette Mall anchor stores Carson Pirie Scott, JC Penny and Sears? Will this draw any out town visitors from north end tourist mecca Lighthouse Place Premium Outlet Mall?
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 5 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(mc46360 @ Dec 4 2011, 04:23 AM) *

ONLY if there's gonna be naked people there. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 5 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Dec 5 2011, 02:25 PM) *

The only question is how many of these national chain type big box retailers can Michigan City continue to support? Will this have any effect on Marquette Mall anchor stores Carson Pirie Scott, JC Penny and Sears? Will this draw any out town visitors from north end tourist mecca Lighthouse Place Premium Outlet Mall?

I say the sooner Marquette Mall fails and is turned into a series of strip malls, the better. Just look in South Bend at the former Scottsdale Mall area. That mall turned into a complete bust, exactly like what's happening with Marquette, until it was demolished and restaurants and strip malls were built in its place. It's now a bustling area. University Park Mall seems to be going with a similar model. It looks great over there and brings people in droves. The self-contained mall seems to be an outdated business model.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 5 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Dec 5 2011, 02:25 PM) *

My hope for a lot of years was that the Target/Kohl's combo would buy up MQT Mall and demolish it in favor of something like is set up in Valpo. Now with Kohl's going in across the street, I hope that it brings some traffic back to Marquette Mall. They just need to figure out a way to get some retailers into that mall again. No one goes there because nothing is in there. Hell Hallmark just closed. They opened nothing new for Christmas. A date with the wrecking ball and a new start might just be what it takes.

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Dec 5 2011, 02:38 PM) *

ONLY if there's gonna be naked people there. laugh.gif

Then again, it might be the way to get people out there too cool.gif
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 5 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Oh man - I can't quite get my head around Marquette Mall being gone. But, yeah - the last time I was in there it was freaking sad. A sign of the times, I guess.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 6 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Why doesn't Michigan City doesn't have a store like a Best Buy or HH Gregg?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 7 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #14

My friend wanted to open a kiosk at Marquette mall for Christmas. She called to ask about the price and they wanted over a grand to rent a small kiosk for one month. I'm sorry, but that is way too much money. She can rent a space at the flea market in LaPorte for less than half the amount Marquette Mall wants.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 7 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 7 2011, 08:34 AM) *

My friend wanted to open a kiosk at Marquette mall for Christmas. She called to ask about the price and they wanted over a grand to rent a small kiosk for one month. I'm sorry, but that is way too much money. She can rent a space at the flea market in LaPorte for less than half the amount Marquette Mall wants.

Honestly? I'd have thought it would be more.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 8 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #16

The actual price for a kiosk was $1200 for one month. You think more? That's not high enough? I can rent a whole office for less than half that. I guess I don't know much about retail space, but to me that seems like robbery. How is anyone supposed to make a profit when the mall gets it all?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 8 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

It costs $700 per day to rent the community building at the La Porte County Fairgrounds.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 8 2011, 07:44 AM) *

The actual price for a kiosk was $1200 for one month. You think more? That's not high enough? I can rent a whole office for less than half that. I guess I don't know much about retail space, but to me that seems like robbery. How is anyone supposed to make a profit when the mall gets it all?

In retail it is usually a per sq ft rent, plus 10% of gross sales. $1200 is a lot lower than it has been in the past honestly. Only a few years ago it was in the multiple thousands for a small spot, plus the 10%.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 27 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #19

The minor subdivision to attempt to clear a path for Kohl's to purchase a lot and move into the old K-mart/Hobby Lobby lot was approved unanimously tonight by the MC Planning Commission. This the first step to try to bring the retail giant to Michigan City.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 28 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #20

http://www.southbendtribune.com/business/s...,0,265139.story

Kohl's moves toward store in Michigan City
Commission approves request to subdivide former Kmart spot.

Email
print
Comments

Share0

STAN MADDUX South Bend Tribune Correspondent

12:28 p.m. EST, December 28, 2011

MICHIGAN CITY — The door has opened for a Kohl's to go up in Michigan City.

The city's planning commission this week approved a request from Kohl's to subdivide land where Kmart and Hobby Lobby used to be at the Dunes Plaza.

For several years, Dunes Plaza along U.S. 20 has lacked a major anchor since Kmart then Hobby Lobby left and the Cinema was driven out of business by the nearby Showplace 14.

Prospects of a major department store chain like Kohl's going in there have raised hopes about filling other empty storefronts at Dunes Plaza.

And, with the extra traffic Kohl's can bring, some people speculate it can help reinvigorate the struggling Marquette Mall directly across from Dunes Plaza.

''It's another crucial piece down on the south end area to bring back some economic life over there,'' said Ron Meer, who will become mayor Jan.1.

Planning Commission member Al Whitlow said support to subdivide the property allows Kohl's to purchase instead of lease the parcel.

Plans call for the building that used to hold Kmart and Hobby Lobby to be torn down and a new building housing Kohl's to be go up in its place.

“What they want to do is own the property so they can move forward,” Whitlow said.

Whitlow said Kohl's still has to come back and seek a building permit before any construction can begin.

He said no time frame was given on when Kohl's wants to start doing business in Michigan City.

“This is the very first step in the process,” Whitlow said.

The interest by Kohl's has generated speculation that Kohl's could either help or hurt Marquette Mall which features Sears as one of its anchor stores.

Sears has announced more than 100 stores nationwide will be shutdown due to a continued slide in sales.

No announcement has been made on which stores will close, but Kohl's is considered somewhat of a competitor with Sears.

“It's interesting to see what Sears is doing across the country. It would be great if it can help the Marquette Mall,” Whitlow said.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:39 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com