> Pelath Chosen to Lead House Democrats
MCRogers1974
post Nov 8 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 968

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=56550

Indiana House Democrats have chosen State Representative Scott Pelath (D-09) to serve as minority leader for the upcoming session. He replaces Linda Lawson (D-01), who will serve as Democratic floor leader.

Indiana House Democrats today selected State Rep. Scott Pelath (D-Michigan City) as their leader for the 118th Indiana General Assembly.

Along with selecting Pelath as House Democratic Leader, caucus members chose State Rep. Linda Lawson (D-Hammond) to serve as House Democratic Floor Leader and State Rep. Vanessa Summers (D-Indianapolis) to continue as House Democratic Caucus Chair.

“I am humbled by my colleagues’ decision to serve as their leader, and I promise to do everything in my power to ensure that Democrats have a voice in the upcoming session of the General Assembly,” Pelath said today.

“We are here to participate in this process on behalf of Hoosiers who want to see our children get the education they deserve, all families get access to affordable health care, and all Hoosiers get jobs and keep them,” he added. “Our core issues of jobs and education will not change, and we stand ready to work with the majority party to see the realization of these goals.”

Pelath, who has represented the Ninth Indiana House District in the northern part of the state since coming to the General Assembly in 1998, works as a human resources director at the Swanson Center in Michigan City. Prior to coming to the Indiana House, Pelath served as an aide to U.S. Rep. Tim Roemer from 1992 to 1997. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in public affairs from Indiana University. Pelath and his wife Kim have two daughters: Israel and Isabella.

Lawson, who represents the First Indiana House District in northwest Indiana, has been House Democratic Leader since July. Prior to that, she was Democratic Floor Leader for nearly two years. Lawson, who has served in the House since 1998, is a retired police captain with the Hammond Police Department.

Summers has represented the 99th House District in Marion County since 1991, when she was elected to fill a vacancy left when her father, Joseph W. Summers, passed away. She also serves as the chair of the Indiana Black Legislative Caucus.

Indiana House Democrats will have six new members for the upcoming legislative session:

State Rep. Sue Errington (D-Muncie), who represents District 34, is a retired public policy director and educator.

State Rep. Dan Forestal (D-Indianapolis), who represents District 100, is an Indianapolis firefighter.

State Rep. Christina Hale (D-Indianapolis), who represents District 87, is a former executive at Kiwanis International.

State Rep. Karlee Macer (D-Indianapolis), who represents District 92, leads the sales and marketing department at Harrison Retirement Community.

State Rep. Justin Moed (D-Indianapolis), who represents District 97, works in community corrections.

State Rep. Robin Shackleford (D-Indianapolis) who represents District 98, is the project manager for Engaging Solutions.

Source: Indiana House Democrats
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 8 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

“I am humbled by my colleagues’ decision to serve as their leader"

So - his colleagues decided to serve as their own leader?

This is still America, right? We speak English - right?

(rolls eyes)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Congrats to Scott, while I don't always agree with his point of view, I will say the guy is a very hard worker and is very responsive to his constituents.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

Not to mention, he's just a real nice guy. They were my neighbors when I lived in City last. The whole family are down to earth and simply nice people.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Every election that goes by, I am surprised he has stayed in that office. The Democrats have to be asking him to move up the ladder.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #6

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/201...ell|text|Home|p

INDIANAPOLIS — When Republicans won 69 of the 100 seats in the Indiana House on Tuesday, Democrats appeared to fall into complete irrelevancy in the General Assembly.

Already, Republicans had a quorum-proof majority in the Indiana Senate and by gaining one in the House as well, Democrats will have no procedural way to stop legislation they do not like.

Walkouts are now worthless — at least procedurally. The Democrats can stay home in their districts and Republicans could choose to meet and act on legislation without them.

For a Democrat, it’s a pretty depressing turn of events.

So it was a surprise on Wednesday when a relatively chipper group of new House Democratic leaders sat down to talk with reporters. Minority Leader Scott Pelath of Michigan City, who had just been elected by his caucus to the post, smiled a little — joked even — but spoke with passion and seriousness about the need for Democrats to move in a new direction.

The minority party’s job — however few members it had — would be to present Hoosiers with a vision or plan that would be an alternative to the Republican majority proposals and then to educate the public about those issues.

That seems obvious enough, maybe. But House Democrats have for several years now struggled to communicate any sort of vision. They have mostly said no — often for reasons that made sense for their constituencies.

Still, their arguments and their method of making them — boycotting House business by fleeing to Illinois, for example — didn’t go over well with the public.

So now comes Pelath, a smart and respected lawmaker who has a penchant for fiery rhetoric but an understanding that strong relationships are the basis of negotiation. He has over the years often been the Democrat charged with hanging back on the House floor as his colleagues were caucusing elsewhere.

His explanations to an often frustrated House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, would range from light-hearted ribbing to serious policy pronouncements and even over-the-top speechifying. But in nearly every case, Pelath would manage not to take such exchanges personally, something that could enable him just minutes later to have a quiet conversation with Bosma or another GOP leader to try to resolve whatever conflict existed.

Pelath said on Wednesday that he has a good relationship with Bosma. He said the two understood each other. And Bosma called Pelath an “honorable and thoughtful legislator,” words he probably wouldn’t use for just anyone.

That relationship could be important. With the huge GOP majority in the House, Bosma will be juggling the many wishes of his 68 members while trying to maintain some peace with Democrats. After all, running roughshod over the minority party — one that is so far into the minority — probably won’t sit well with anyone.

That’s why both Bosma and Pelath said that this supermajority might actually make bipartisanship even more important. And with the Democrats’ choice of Pelath, there’s a chance that can happen — at least when it matters most.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 13 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #7

Scott D. Pelath
At the end of a very busy week, I wanted to thank the people of the 9th District for allowing me to represent them again, and my colleagues in the Indiana House Democratic Caucus for permitting me to serve as their leader.

We have much work ahead, but it takes all of us to keep forming a more perfect Indiana. I remain eternally grateful for getting to be one small part of our great movement forward...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:13 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com