post May 4 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news6.txt

LPC Fair tickets on sale May 5

From Staff Reports

LaPORTE - Ticket sales for the 2007 LaPorte County Fair, which runs from July 22 to 28, begin Saturday, May 5, at the Fair Office, 2581 W. Indiana 2. The office is open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. that day, and starting Monday, May 7, will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The office will be open Monday through Friday beginning June 4, and admission tickets only will be available at several area businesses throughout LaPorte county. Season passes, regularly $20, will be $15 through June 30. One-day adult passes, regularly $5, will be $4 through June 30. A special gate rate of $3 per day is available to seniors. The fair accepts both Visa and MasterCard.

With more than 75,000 visitors expected at this year's fair, fair manager Richard Rutz said “it promises to be another fun-filled week of exciting events and opportunities.” The LaPorte County Fair is Indiana's oldest, having been held since 1845.

“We are pleased to have Darryl Worley headlining on July 27,” Rutz said. “Our ability to attract a musician of this caliber adds considerable excitement to fair week. We encourage individuals to buy their tickets early for this event.”

For information on any of the attractions at the fair, call (219) 362-2647 or e-mail laportefair@csinet.net.

In addition, there will be other attractions and activities, including Ronald McDonald, Pioneer Land, the Entertainment Tent, carnival rides and 4-H events.

The grandstand entertainment schedule is as follows:

€ July 22: Demolition Derby (includes one heat of pickup trucks), 7 p.m.

€ July 23: Demolition Derby (includes one heat of vans or pickup trucks), 7 p.m.

€ July 24: Figure 8 Demolition Derby, 7 p.m.

All derbies are $12 for grandstand and $15 for box seats for each show.

€ July 26: Blair Carman & The Belleview Boys, the “Midwest's hottest piano pumpin' rockabilly band. If you like Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis style music, make this the concert to see. Free. 7:30 p.m.

July 27: Harness Racing, 11 a.m.

July 27: Country Singer Darryl Worley. Grandstand seat, $20; box seats, patio and trackside seats, $25. Admission to fair included if tickets are purchased prior to June 30. 7:30 p.m.

July 28: SJO Super Cross, 7 p.m.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 7 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Haven't been there in years
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 14 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

When we have our county fair, there is a parade down town to start it. It's a huge event known as "Parade Day" A lot of businesses close so their employees can go watch the parade and the drinking and partying goes on all day--with a lot of it in the streets. The bars and restaurants have specials all day and people go from place to place (kinda like Dyngus Day). Opening day of the Fair is one big long rodeo. People come from all over the US to participate in the rodeo. The county fair here is a big deal.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 16 2007, 06:05 AM
Post #4

The county fair gets bigger the further away from big cities that you get. For some of the small Indiana counties, it is the biggest event of the year. Heck outside of MC, the LPC fair is huge, especially for the 4H kids. Anymore the County Fair is the closest thing we have to an Oktoberfest, its just minus the excellent entertainment.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 16 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #5

Casper is about three times the size of MC with a population of about 70K and steadily growing. So, I'm not sure it's small size that has anything to do with it. What it is is isolation. Casper is the largest town in Wyoming, with Cheyenne coming in second but Cheyenne is two hours away. Gillette is another big town but that is also two hours away. The towns that are close to Casper are extremely small in size. Like Hyland WY--it has a population of 10. Bar Nunn has about 500 people, I think, but they share a zip code with Casper (which has FIVE zip codes).
I think another thing that makes the fair so popular, in addition to isolation, is the rodeo. Like people flock to the LP Co fair to watch the demo derby; people flock to our fair to see the Rodeo. It is an opportunity to see what will come out of the College National Finals (also held in Casper). It's kinda like a pre-season football game. Oh! and WY has a law on the books that you can ride your horse into a bar and order a drink. That's exactly what happens on Parade Day. It is not uncommon to see people in the bars with their horses. The only stipulation is you have to clean up after your own horse if it does its business anywhere on the streets or in the bars. I'll try to get pictures this year and post them for you guys to see.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 16 2007, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ May 16 2007, 10:12 AM) *

...Bar Nunn has about 500 people...

I never knew there was a town with this name. I learn something new every day. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 16 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(JHeath @ May 16 2007, 01:11 PM) *

I never knew there was a town with this name. I learn something new every day. biggrin.gif

If you really want a chuckle, there are always some great names in Texas. I have been through a town there named Cut and shoot.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post May 16 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Bucksnort, Tennessee is one of my favorites.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 16 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #9

my fav is Bugtussle OK. But WY has a lot of odd named towns: Aladdin, Beulah, Medicine Bow, Story, Basin and Cokeville. Oh, we have an Evansville too. But, it's one of those little towns just outside of Casper with a population of about 1200.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 21 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

Have you ever done any hunting in WY, Ang? I would like to get an antelope.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 21 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Me personally, No, I haven't. But my bro-in-law goes almost every day he can from opening day till the end. Last year my 12-yr. old nephew drew a moose tag. It was his first year to legally hunt and he got a moose his second day. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm - that's some excellent meat. Antelope run in herds here. It is not uncommon to be driving down the road and see a heard of 50 or so Antelope running in a meadow or along the road. Deer are every where, too. Last fall I took the kids to the rec center and there was a young buck just standing in the parking lot watching the cars and people go by. At first I thought it was fake until he turned his head and looked at me. Elk is the most common game hunted here. Between my sister and her husband, they usually have 4-6 Elk a year and frankly, I am sick to death of elk meat! I would rather eat hamburger.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 23 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #12

What do moose and antelope taste like? Closer to deer or elk?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 23 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Antelope tastes a lot like deer meat, a little more gamey and tough, though. I do not like Elk meat unless it is heavily seasoned. To me it's extremely gamey and when it cooks, no matter how it's cooked, it smells like dog poo in my opinion and I just have a hard time eating it. But, I've had so much of it in the last year and a half that I'm also kind of tired of it. Mooose, now that's a different story. It has a hearty taste and is almost sweet. It smells delicious when it's cooking and is very tender and juicy. If I had to compare moose meat I would say it tastes similar to buffalo, but it is not marbley like buffalo meat.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 29 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #14

As much as I like heading out and killing deer, I do not really care for the taste of it. I have had plenty of elk, and I find that it is extremely lean; but I do not find it gamey like venison. Never had moose or buffalo. There is a guy who is raising bison in LP county, grazing 'em, no antibiotics/steroids, etc. I will try that.

I have wanted to get some squirrels but I am not sure I want to eat them.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 29 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #15

I've never had squirrel myself, but my ex-husband (who is from KY) said it's very tasty but tough. It's best to have squirrel meat in a gravy or a stew. As for buffalo meat, I don't know if they still come to MC or not, but during festival time at the beach, there is a food trailer from Gene's Catering. They have buffalo burgers. Gene is my uncle so I can vouch for the quality of the meat. Anyway, if you haven't tried them, I strongly urge you to do so. They are quite delicious. The food trailer has a blue and white awning and the logo is a Genie's lamp. Or at least it was before my uncle retired and gave the business to his son.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:11 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com