Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47181.46

Summer In The City Getting Better
This is my fifth summer as a Michigan City resident and I am still amazed at the vitality and promise that come from within our fine city each year during these months.

As usual, Joe Doyle, and the Michigan City Summer Festival crew and Parks and Recreation Department have been doing a fantastic job keeping the lakefront and area parks clean, neat and well staffed. I cannot remember the last time I was at the lake without at least a dozen well trained life guard staff helping me watch my 5-year-old child swim. The Kiddie Parade was a success, and Johnny Martinez and the zoo staff have the Washington Park Zoo looking like a true top area attraction.

The Summer Festival Parade, a truly monumental undertaking, was a delight to attend. The Michigan City Police Department kept a record crowd focused, and the Refuse Department had the streets clean within minutes of the parade finale.

It was nice to see Judge Lang, Mayor Oberlie, Michael Bergerson, Scott Pelath, Sheriff Mollenhauer and others supporting the community and taking pride in our fine city by walking in the parade.

I cannot wait to see what the Lakefront Art Festival, Labor Dayz, and Zoo & Tower Runs have in store!

I urge all citizens to think positively as we face some important upcoming decisions. The Parks Department is recommending a splash pad at Washington Park. Franklin Street may return to two-way traffic. The Police Department may get a new building. New zoning and "tower" ordinances will be suggested.

It would benefit us all to hear each and every proposal and reserve judgment until all the facts are known. I have great faith that our local and county officials will put forth proposals that are well thought out and fully funded.

If you do disagree with an upcoming project, proposal or improvement, please suggest alternatives!

Tom Phillips

Michigan City
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 10 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

I thought this was a very nice letter, but I give this guy a couple years and I wonder if he'll change his mind. At least if things keep following the current trend.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 10 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Wait until he has a chance to watch the current bunch of idiots that run the city for a while. Wait until they have some kind of hearing to get public input then announce a decision in detail shortly after--completely ignoring the input. Wait until what most places consider basic--like sidewalks and bikeways--are not implemented no matter how much repaving is done.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 11 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

I just loved the letter because it was positive. These are the kind of people we need to embrace. Anymore they are hard to find!
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 11 2008, 07:15 AM) *

I just loved the letter because it was positive. These are the kind of people we need to embrace. Anymore they are hard to find!

Hurrah to Southsider for the positive outlook and response. Hurrah to Mr Phillips for his positive view of things going on and things to come. Constructive criticism can be a positive thing, but negative statements and negative thinking will never result in positive outcomes. Some of us may not be happy with the way things are and changes will never happen overnight. But with the right level of positive thoughts and positive actions, the kinds of positive changes people are seeking will come.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 11 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #6

Yes, you are right. Another reason to vote for you! And to be fair, the City does look better than it did some years ago (think ten). New restaurants are here, getting established, and they could not if something wasn't happening here. I am just saying that the nomenklatura is an impediment because of the way they fail to plan for longer-run results. Positive thinking is the first step. New leadership has to be next.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 11 2008, 08:15 AM) *

Yes, you are right. Another reason to vote for you! And to be fair, the City does look better than it did some years ago (think ten). New restaurants are here, getting established, and they could not if something wasn't happening here. I am just saying that the nomenklatura is an impediment because of the way they fail to plan for longer-run results. Positive thinking is the first step. New leadership has to be next.

AGREED!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 11 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #8

You may use this as a campaign slogan--maybe next time you are on WIMS!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 11 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 11 2008, 09:26 AM) *

You may use this as a campaign slogan--maybe next time you are on WIMS!

As long as I have your permission (and I do like to give credit) I may indeed use it!
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jul 12 2008, 06:53 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

You're using the part with "nomenklatura" too, right? Those campaign signs are going to be hilarious. And huge wink.gif Darn, I wish I had Photoshop so I could make a mockup of that.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 12 2008, 06:01 PM
Post #11

On this site, "nomenklatura" is old hat.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:04 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com