Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bob Giesler dies
Southsider2k12
post Jun 29 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am really sad to read this story. He was a great guy, RIP.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...7d410140269.txt

Longtime City teacher and coach Giesler dies

Giesler
By Amanda Gray
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:14 AM CDT
LA PORTE — A beloved player, teacher and coach has passed away.

Bob Giesler of La Porte died Monday in his home after an illness.

“He was one of my favorite people,” said Ken Schreiber, who was head baseball coach for La Porte High School for more than 38 years.

Schreiber coached Giesler during the first state championship season for La Porte High School in 1967.

“It’s just a shame,” he said. “Everybody liked Bob.”

Giesler went on to be drafted by the White Sox in 1968 in the sixth round. After three or four years, Schreiber said, he went into coaching.

“Outside of the white lines, he was very professional,” Schreiber said.

Giesler taught and coached in Michigan City, but lived in La Porte.

“He touched many students in Michigan City,” Schreiber said. “It’s just a shame.”

Giesler’s wife, Patricia, passed away in 2009.

“Bob and her made a great couple,” Schreiber said.

Giesler will be missed by many.

“If I had to go into any business,” Schreiber said, ”I’d want it to be with Bob Giesler.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 29 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

OMG!!! I am very sad to hear this.

I don't know how many times Bob helped me keep a level head when we worked together. He had such a calming personality.

Wow! I am just floored by this news.

RIP Geese.....

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jun 29 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Just terrible news. He was a great man who was always good for a story ending with a good laugh. He'll be greatly missed, no doubt. He went through a lot in the final years of his life. Life can be so unfair. I'll have a column about Gies in Wednesday's edition of the N-D and H-A.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 29 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Indiana has certainly lost several of our sports legends over the last couple of months, locally, regionally, statewide and nationally. not only Mr. Giesler but last week Tim Adams creator of the Indiana High Football Gridiron Digest (www.gridirondigest.com) passed away, legendary basketball coach John Wooden died earlier this month and back in April we lost both longtime official an TV host Wally McCormack and ex-Valpo basketball star Rodney Harden on the same day.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 30 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jun 29 2010, 04:36 PM) *

Just terrible news. He was a great man who was always good for a story ending with a good laugh. He'll be greatly missed, no doubt. He went through a lot in the final years of his life. Life can be so unfair. I'll have a column about Gies in Wednesday's edition of the N-D and H-A.

Well done Parky!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...b4910977104.txt

Giesler will be missed

By Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor
Published: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:13 AM CDT
I can remember when I first got to know Bob Giesler.

Early on in my time here at The News-Dispatch I got the opportunity to ride along on road trips with the Michigan City baseball team, a team managed by Rich Lenard and assisted by Giesler, or “Gies” (pronounced “geese”) for short.

I knew that Gies had played minor league baseball in the White Sox organization, and if you’ve ever known anyone that had an experience like that, you know not to stray far away from them in social situations. Their stories are legendary.

So on those long bus trips, I’d listen to Gies and Lenard talk. They’d talk about the old days as pitchers at La Porte. They’d talk about the current state of the team or about mutual acquaintances they’ve made through the game they both love.

Gies had a way about him that drew you in as he regaled you with tales from his past. I’d hang on every word, knowing that the payoff would give me a hearty laugh or drop my jaw in amazement.

Gies passed away early Monday morning after a prolonged illness. Some may be surprised he’d endured such a battle.

Though he’d temporarily abandon his duties as assistant athletic director at Michigan City High School to tend to his illness, he’d always return. Moreover, he’d be the same ol’ Gies.

He’d still tell stories, crack jokes and make those around him smile.

“He wanted to stay active and keep moving and not sit around and do nothing,” City AD Bob “Bear” Falls said. “He just enjoyed being around and we were happy he wanted to do it.”

Falls worked with Gies off and on for the last 35 years, and Gies has served as an assistant under Falls for the duration of his time in the office.

“He was a very strong individual and very determined to get things done,” Falls said. “He was just an excellent friend and an excellent person.”

Gies had it rough in the last few years of life, battling his own illness and saying goodbye to his wife, who died last October after a prolonged illness.

“It’s an extremely sad time, but at the same time, with the pain he was going through, you didn’t wanna see him suffer any more than he had to,” Falls said. “He fought a courageous battle.

“It’s just an unfortunate thing. Sometimes you look at it and wonder what’s fair and what’s not.”

No matter what your personal beliefs are, the hope is that Gies is in a better place now. Fair or unfair to those left here to grieve, he has a whole new audience for his stories.

Goodbye, Gies.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 23 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #6

It was very cool to hear the Wolves honor Geis with a moment of silence at the opening football game. Hopefully he is smiling down to see how much people valued him down here.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:22 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com