IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CBTL Michigan Boulevard Truck Stop Poll, Take the CBTL Truck Stop Poll
TRUCK STOP POLL
Would you be in favor of the proposed travel plaza being constructed at 6001 Michigan Boulevard
Yes [ 7 ] ** [87.50%]
No [ 1 ] ** [12.50%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
taxthedeer
post Jun 11 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

I voted yes, If you build it they will come.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 11 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am on the fence right now. I want to see what the traffic concerns look like more than anything.
+Quote Post
southyards
post Jun 14 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 11 2011, 10:04 PM) *

I am on the fence right now. I want to see what the traffic concerns look like more than anything.

Bingo! You've hit the nail on the head. . . . . traffic IS an issue in that area!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2011, 07:54 AM
Post #4

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...2f093064380.txt

Truck plaza proposal tabled

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — After 2 1/2 hours of discussion Tuesday night, the Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals tabled until its next meeting a petition from Ken Ford and Oehmstead Co. LLC to build a full-service truck plaza and restaurant at 6001 E. Michigan Blvd.

The motion to table the measure came from John Morse, who cited traffic concerns as the sole reason he could not approve the petition Tuesday night.

“A truck plaza will be really good for Michigan City, but the biggest concern is the traffic,” he said.

BZA Attorney Steve Hale indicated the board needed more information on the traffic issues, recommending the continuation to the next meeting.

Click here to find out more!
As was the case Tuesday night, the public and petitioners will be allowed to comment at the next meeting.

Attorney Michael Bergerson petitioned the BZA on behalf of John and Patrick McDonald, owners of the 117 acres on Michigan Boulevard, where they hope to operate the truck plaza and restaurant.

“Michigan City is the perfect site for this,” contract purchaser Ken Ford said. “This will bring more business into the community, somewhere around $24 to 30 million a year.”

Many audience members who attended the 3 1/2 hour meeting disagreed with the petition.

Some concerns included traffic congestion, environmental issues and lighting distractions for the nearby airport.

Mary Lou Linnen, owner of nearby Creekwood Inn, outlined three areas of concern.

“The safety and general welfare of the community is not being served,” she said. “It will definitely impair the use and enjoyment of other property in the area, and airline safety will be jeopardized.”

Michigan City resident Tony Jacobucci called the plan “an accident waiting to happen.

“There have been 103 accidents near (U.S.) 20/35 and (County Road) 600 West over the last five years, including one death ... If they put a truck stop there, that is going to be worse.”

Fourth Ward Councilwoman Patricia Boy voiced her concern that the proposed site’s proximity to wetlands would be an environmental issue.

“We need to make sure what we can do to accommodate spills,” she said.

Others said lighting at the site would be a “distraction” to pilots landing at Michigan City Municipal Airport.

Patrick McDonald said the truck stop becoming an airport issue was avoided when the project was pushed east of the original plan proposed in 2005.

In August of that year, a similar proposal was accepted by the BZA, but denied by the City Council. With this petition as a special-use case, no council approval is needed.

A petition against the measure with 125 signatures was presented to the board.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #5

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...25869253077.txt

Resident on 600 West gives his opinion

Pat and Mary McDonald don’t live on 600 West. I do. And I served my country, state and city with two tours in Vietnam. My wife Ruby was an LPN in Michigan City for many years.

Tony Jacobucci is only one name on a petition. There are lots of other names, and they all attest to the opinion that we don’t think that a truck stop is a good idea for this spot. It wasn’t five years ago and it isn’t now. It is adjacent to the Michigan City Airport runway. It will be built over an existing pipeline. And it will be on the crest of a hill. County Road 600 West is at the bottom of the hill and is a terrible intersection to get on to U.S. 20 and U.S. 35.

With trucks coming in and going out and rush hour traffic, it will be slaughter, not to mention accidental fuel spills that could run into the creek that runs on the east and south side of the property’s location. And that creek is a tributary to Trail Creek, that ultimately runs into Lake Michigan. The thought of diesel fumes wafting in the air on cold winter nights and muggy summer days to my house that is east of that property is not a pleasant thought. Tony is my neighbor and so is Ron Peters and John and Joice Baker. And I am Ron Kieszkowski and I live on 600 West. Mr. McDonald does not live on 600 West.

Ron Kieszkowski

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...41478149048.txt

What legacy are we leaving?

Regarding the petition against the proposed truck stop, Mr. Wolferd has twisted the facts. Mr. Jacobucci and the people who have signed this petition are NOT “anti-business,” and they are not “trying to deny the McDonalds the right to sell their property.” The McDonalds have every right to dispose of their property. The issue is whether a truck stop is appropriate at that location. Just how many high-paying jobs does Mr. Wolferd imagine will be generated by a truck stop and 200 seat restaurant? A few minimum-wage jobs do not offset the loss of open space and habitat. The dangers of increased traffic, the negative visual impression, and the environmental impact must all be considered. What is the vision of our community leaders? Is this the image of Michigan City that we are trying to convey?

Last week we read essays by Michigan City school children about their favorite things about Michigan City, and their hopes for the future of the area. Most often mentioned were many beautiful parks in the area. Not one child mentioned that their hope for the future was to work at a truck stop, earning minimum wage in a concrete jungle. The lake, the parks, the open lands and recreational opportunities are the things that make an impact on young and old alike. As educators, I am sure the McDonalds are well aware of this, and perhaps have even taught curriculum on the subject. The McDonalds have every right to finance their retirement, but hopefully they will also consider the legacy they are leaving their own children, grandchildren, and the many children they have taught over the years.

Pat Molden

La Porte
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #7

Also set up a poll on the facebook page to get a broader audience, please click over and vote if you like!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=questi...&qa_ref=ssp
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

People are so melodramatic sometimes!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #9

The facebook version of the poll is currently 17 to 7 in favor of the truck stop. It is really sounding like the "no's" are a vocal minority.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 23 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...e4728888140.txt

Reader puzzled by Ball State reference in letter

Published: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
Many readers have commented regarding the proposed truck stop. I certainly can sympathize with property owners and businesses in close proximity who are concerned with traffic, noise, and pollution. And, if there was a serious threat to the users of the Michigan City Airport, it should be presented by the FAA.

Certainly, the Michigan Boulevard route to the downtown, lakefront and Blue Chip area is more direct and could lead to even more improvements adjacent to this corridor. Plus, it would reduce the heavily trafficked U.S. 421/Franklin/Pine route. The truck stop could be an ideal location for a satellite kiosk to promote tourism to Michigan City. Its cost and operation might be shared by public and private attractions. Permanent space at low or no cost to the city/county may be part of the zoning change or agreement with the developer/operator of the business.

Finally, I am puzzled by the comment made regarding a choice made by Michigan City "many years ago" to accept the Indiana State Prison rather than Ball State University.

The prison was built in 1860. Although, various schools opened and closed near the university's Muncie site, the first school wasn't built until 1899, nearly 40 years after the prison was erected. The Ball brothers purchase the closed facility in 1917 and gave it to the state in 1918. The first year it was officially named after the brothers was in 1922 (62 years after the prison appeared). It was named Ball Teachers College.

Raymond A. Peterson

Michigan City, IN

Say 'no' to the truck plaza

Is it not enough we taxpayers who reside near the Michigan City Municipal Airport have to endure airport expansion, noise from screaming jets, poor sewer drainage (wetlands), a new traffic danger with the Michigan City salt tower, the speeders from Interstate 94 exits to Michigan City, weeds 6 feet high creating a human bowling alley of accidents at Warnke and Meer roads. Now we are asked to contend with a truck stop? It will be a truck stop by all the speeders smashing into trucks waiting to turn into this truck stop at the crest of a hill. Please, say no to this truck stop. Victory!

Charles A. Nelson (USA) Retired

Michigan City, IN

Property owners should do what they want

For the past two weeks or so, the News-Dispatch has contained letters and articles about a proposed travel plaza on U.S. 35 where it connects to Interstate 94. The latest letter, from Ron Stahoviak, focuses on feared traffic problems and urges that the sellers be denied what they need to sell their property. Other Not-In-My-Back-Yard-type fears concern the best use to which the property could be put, the persons objecting wishing to keep the neighborhood pristine.

First of all, why is it that those who object to this proposal feel that they have the right to tell the owners of the property what is the best use for the property? This is still America and the owners of the property can still do what they want with it. If the objectors believed so strongly in what they are saying, it seems to me that they could have gotten together and made an offer to purchase. They didn't.

Second, exactly what did those who complain of theoretical traffic problems believe they were getting into when they bought property near the intersection of the interstate and a major highway? Aren't these areas almost always developed in some way consistent with the traffic on the interstate? Don't they always have higher than average traffic flow and connected problems?

Sounds to me as though this area hasn't been pristine for some time, and that traffic congestion and problems in such a location are inevitable, but can be controlled through sensible regulation.

As to the "examples" provided by Mr. Stahoviak, they speak more to the carelessness of the individual drivers in those cases, which is always a problem, than to the character of the area.

I say develop the area with some sensible regulation by the appropriate state agency.

Ed Deksnis

Michigan City, IN
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 24 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #11

Um... are the runways at Michigan City Municipal Airport long enough to accomodate "screaming jets"?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
southyards
post Jun 24 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 24 2011, 08:34 AM) *

Um... are the runways at Michigan City Municipal Airport long enough to accomodate "screaming jets"?

The airport does have a 4,100-foot runway that can handle business jets.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 27 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(southyards @ Jun 24 2011, 04:18 PM) *

The airport does have a 4,100-foot runway that can handle business jets.

How often do business jets land in Michigan City? And who would come here in them?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 27 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 27 2011, 11:01 AM) *

How often do business jets land in Michigan City? And who would come here in them?
I think I told the story before of Federal-Mogul CEO Jose-Maria Alapont came here to tour his Michigan City facility. First question when he stepped off the corporate jet was, "Why is Michigan City called that even though it's in Indiana?" plant management from out of town had no idea.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 27 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 27 2011, 11:01 AM) *

It is a great selling point to get companies to come here. Pretty much if you can name it, you can get here on it... train, car, plane, boat...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 6 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...fe422738914.txt

Monitor property as a precaution

Published: Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
I too live on North 600 West, exactly two miles south of U.S. 20. I was never approached to sign a petition for or against the proposed truck plaza on U.S. 20/U.S. 35.

I take exception to Mr. Ed Deksnis’ letter on June 22. Interstate 94 stopped at 294 in Burns Harbor when I first moved to my present property. Michigan City Airport was over where Lowe’s and the other big box stores are located.

Joe Phillips sold his airport to Michigan City and now I have to contend with the loud jets flying over my house at tree-top level.

Mr. Charles Nelson is also against the proposed truck plaza. He also wrote an accurate letter on the same date. Roger Willoughby’s letter on June 18 said if traffic becomes an issue, INDOT will take care of it. I laughed so hard my side ached for hours. When has INDOT ever fixed any problem with traffic without being forced to from down state?

There is a truck stop on south U.S. 421. INDOT put a turn lane into the truck stop, but the truckers have problems getting back on to 421 as there is no signal.

As for the traffic signal just north of this truck stop, I feel it was put there to accommodate Patriot Park and the few school buses going to Coolspring School.

If this plaza becomes a reality, INDOT has to be on board before the first shovel of dirt is turned.

Also, the appropriate boards need to monitor the property to make sure it doesn’t become an eyesore.

Ken Schrimsher

La Porte
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 8 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #17

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...1b752320589.txt

BZA slated to vote on travel plaza Tuesday

A map showing the proposed 12 acres for the travel plaza. Provided photo
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, July 7, 2011 5:22 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Barring another postponement, the Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals will vote Tuesday, July 12, on a special-use permit request to create a full-service travel plaza and restaurant at 6001 E. Michigan Blvd., not far from the Interstate 94 exit.

The proposed site, submitted by property owners John and Patrick McDonald, will take up 12 acres — with an option for an additional four — on the south side of U.S. 20/35 between County Road 600 West and U.S. 20.

On Tuesday, the McDonalds again will be represented by Attorney Michael Bergerson.

“We need the blessing of the BZA before we go any further,” he said.

The same issue surfaced in 2005, with the owners requesting to build a travel plaza near the site they are requesting now. Then, the Common Council denied the measure by a 6-3 vote. But since the Council unanimously approved a zoning ordinance earlier this year that makes the land the McDonalds own commercial, no council approval is needed.

If approved, Bergerson said the issue will surface July 26 at a Plan Commission meeting, where the board must approve separating a parcel of the McDonalds’ property to be used for the travel plaza.

In the meantime, Bergerson is working with the Indiana Department of Transportation, which wants a traffic study performed.

Traffic issues were one of three primary concerns residents had at the June 14 BZA meeting. During that session, where the decision was tabled, environmental and aviation concerns were voiced as well.

“When the area was moved 600 feet to the west, it was no longer an airport issue,” Bergerson said.

The Federal Aviation Agency also will have to approve of the plan before it is put in place.

“The most at risk in this are the McDonalds,” Bergerson said. “We want to see a quality business that will bring 30 to 50 jobs in the private sector.”

If all approvals are met, construction of the plaza likely begins in spring 2012. If not, Bergerson says the McDonalds will chose another business to open it its place.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 12 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...3c944756458.txt

Reader gives views on travel plaza

Published: Monday, July 11, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
On the night of June 14th, the Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals would have approved the truck stop planned for U.S. 20/35 except the approval was tabled until the next scheduled meeting. The concerns were traffic congestion.

The beautification of Michigan Boulevard is a great start to improve this entrance into Michigan City. The current plan is to extent that to Carroll Avenue. There is in the works a request for grant money to extend it to the U.S. 20 overpass.

The truck stop is not the best use for the 450 acres. They claim the redevelopment has to start some place. Have you seen a truck stop that produces additional development?

The development that is attracted is truck stop-related: Truck repairs, massage parlors, fireworks sales, etc. Is this what Michigan City needs on our last undeveloped entrance?

Major concerns include over-taxing the police department, truck stop thefts, drug sales, undesirable people and additional accident reports. Safety issues include trucks making left turns in and out across two lanes of traffic and trucks making right turns out needing three lanes to turn, Look at the truck stop on 421 — one death and the traffic problems with trucks turning in and out. There are fire department concerns and airport concerns.

Take a look at the other truck stops Burns Harbor, Ripley Street in Gary, on Interstate 94 in Michigan. Do you see any additional development after the truck stops are in place?

The right development for the 450 acres will come. They have a good Realtor to represent the property.

Look at the big picture for Michigan City. Send a letter to Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals or the City Council or sign Tony Jacobucci’s petition to make your voice heard.

Bob Nielsen

Michigan City, IN
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 14 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #19

http://www.southbendtribune.com/business/s...0,2313142.story

Variance approved for travel plaza

5:33 a.m. EDT, July 14, 2011
MICHIGAN CITY -- The door has been opened for a travel plaza to go up on Michigan City's far east side.

Supporters are looking at the job creation and vehicular traffic the plaza will bring along with the potential for new development spinning off from the truck stop.

"I think that's the positive thinking," said Don Przybylinski, president of the Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals.

The BZA on Tuesday approved a variance for a travel plaza to go on a 16 acre site on U.S. 35 near the municipal airport just west of Interstate 94. A restaurant is included in the plans.

Before a building permit is issued, the developers were ordered to perform a series of tasks like a traffic study.

Due to the site being along a four-lane highway with Interstate 94 in close proximity, the purpose of the study is to make sure the design of roads leading into and out of the plaza are safe for travelers, Przybylinski said.

Opponents cited heavy diesel emissions from semis and undesirable activity like prostitution for being against the plan.

How soon construction begins hinges on when the traffic study and other tasks to get a building permit are completed.

"When all of that will be done I cannot tell you," said Przybylinski.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 14 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #20

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...52665448669.txt

Board gives travel plaza unanimous support

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Before a nervous crowd, many members of which were hoping for a different outcome, the Michigan City Board of Zoning Appeals unanimously approved a controversial petition Tuesday night to grant a special-use permit to property owners John and Patrick McDonald.

Now, they plan to construct a 16-acre travel plaza, including a restaurant, at 6001 E. Michigan Blvd.

“We are very glad it went through, and it should be a great thing for Michigan City,” Patrick McDonald said after the meeting. “It will bring a lot of new jobs, tax money and hopefully new economic development to that end of town that has been vacant.”

The McDonalds were represented by their attorney, Michael Bergerson, during the 90-minute discussion that resulted in the 5-0 vote approving the request.

Bergerson presented letters from the Indiana Department of Transportation and other departments to the BZA, each approving the idea. INDOT is requiring the land owners to conduct a traffic study, one that Tim Haas of Haas and Associates, the engineering group working with the owners, says “has already begun.”

With many public onlookers softly objecting to his premise, Bergerson also addressed issues residents had that the area will become an overnight stop.

“The intent is not to have this as a full-service truck plaza,” Bergerson said. “My client is not attempting to attract overnight traffic.”

But as was the case with last month’s BZA meeting, when the issue was tabled, the majority of the public comments were against construction of the plaza.

“I’ve never seen a truck plaza with beautiful development around it,” La Porte resident Pat Molden said.

A few comments were made in response to Bergerson’s assertion there are no plans to make the truck stop an overnight one.

“Just because the intent isn’t there now does not mean the owners cannot make changes as they see fit,” Michigan City resident Atley Price said.

Tony Jacobucci said the special-use permit would go against an ordinance that said it “cannot impede with the general welfare of the public.”

Michigan City resident Ron Kieszkowski talked about the dangers of vehicle exhaust fumes.

“The fumes are going to travel from west to east, right over to my house,” he said.

An amendment approved to the petition would require the station to add “Smart starts,” devices that automatically start and stop engines.

BZA President Don Przybylinski said that would “be done for the environment and the individuals living in the area to reduce emissions.”

Following the unanimous approval, Kieszkowski told The News-Dispatch “the fat lady has not sung yet.”

He is right.

The issue still needs to be discussed by the Plan Commission, with approval needed to separate the two parcels the McDonalds own. In addition to the INDOT traffic study that may require a stoplight near the site on U.S. 20/35, a building permit needs to be granted by the city before any construction can take place.

When the travel plaza issue came before the Common Council for approval in 2005, it failed by a 6-3 vote. But since the Council rezoned the space earlier this year from residential to B-3 Highway Commercial, no council approval is needed.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:46 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com