Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=32931.22

Women Build Habitat Home

Alaric DeArment
The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - Some 20 women helped construct a house in Michigan City for Habitat for Humanity on Saturday in what the group called a Women's Build Day.

Many coming from professional backgrounds and lacking construction skills, they received training on site and quickly set about doing carpentry and other tasks. LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity Executive Director Dwight Graham said men on site would often insist on doing everything and not let women do anything.

"The main reason for having the women do the construction rather than the men is that they feel they can do it," Graham said.

Habitat for Humanity is building the house over a 12-week period, with most work done on Saturdays. This Saturday, members of the Lions Club will assist in the building. Graham said the organization accepts work from anyone willing to volunteer.

Volunteers do not need to have construction skills, and an advisor and supervisor will remain at the site to assist builders.

People wishing to volunteer can call LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity at 219-324-7510. They may also E-mail the organization at lchfh@csinet.net, or visit its Web site at www.laportecountyhabitat.org.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 14 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Hmmmmm...I need to find out how to mud drywall; maybe I should volunteer at a Hab. site.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 14 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

There is lot to be done that doesn't require technical skills. I once helped set cabinets in a kitchen. All I did was hold up cupboards while someone screwed them to the walls. It was fun and I really enjoyed it.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:10 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com