Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.laportecountylife.com/business/...ity-high-school

by Tim Moran
Last Updated on 26 November 2013

Print
Email

horizon-mchs-photoBeginning on January 22, 2014, students at Michigan City High School will have the opportunity to work for Horizon Bank, who will open a banking services facility at the school.

Bank officials presented a proposal for a memorandum of understanding to the Michigan City Area Schools board of education during their meeting Tuesday night to open the facility, which has been in the works for some time, within the High School cafeteria.

The facility will be a “contemporary modular unit” with just more than 216 square feet consisting of a traditional teller station and office desk/service area.

“We are looking to hire six students and be open daily before school and during lunch hours,” Horizon Bank Senior Vice President Carla Kanney told the board prior to their unanimous approval. “This will also give the students an opportunity to transition into paid internships.”

MCAS board member Beth Pishkur said the proposal sounded like a “fantastic” idea.

“This sounds great,” she said. “Real life experience is exactly what the students want.”

MCHS Principal Wendel McCollum called the idea “a benefit to our community and students.”

“We are very excited for January 22,” he said. “We can’t wait to walk in and see the creative signs that are being made. The gives students on the job experience and our staff and students will be able to bank on-site.”

“This really creates a positive buzz for the students,” the first-year principal added.

MCAS Superintendent Dr. Barbara Eason-Watkins said Horizon will be working with the school’s business department on the educational aspect of students learning about bank accounts.

Six MCHS students will be employed by the Bank at this location, which will be open 30 minutes prior to the start of school and during all lunch periods. Two students will be working during each lunch period. A Horizon Bank advisor will be on premise during the hours of operation to provide supervision, and a faculty member will serve as the liaison to the Bank and student manager.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Dec 1 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 999

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Nov 27 2013, 03:11 PM) *

Why???
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 2 2013, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 1 2013, 09:38 AM) *

Why???

Did you read the article?
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 2 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 1 2013, 09:38 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Why???
[/quote]
By reading the article it seems that Horizon Bank is partnering with the school system to teach students about working in the banking industry and students managing a savings and checking account.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Dec 7 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 2 2013, 04:35 AM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 1 2013, 09:38 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Why???
Did you read the article?

I ask again . . .why? If you have 70% + on free lunches who needs to bring $$$ to school? How are the 6 student employees chosen? Are they at risk kids who want to get into the banking world, business students or college prep students. Do students do this as part of a class for a grade or in place of another class or do they not take a lunch. I didn't see any of this explained in the article Tim.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 7 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 7 2013, 08:19 PM) *

I ask again . . .why? If you have 70% + on free lunches who needs to bring $$$ to school? How are the 6 student employees chosen? Are they at risk kids who want to get into the banking world, business students or college prep students. Do students do this as part of a class for a grade or in place of another class or do they not take a lunch. I didn't see any of this explained in the article Tim.

The article clearly states why this is being done. If you can't figure that out I'm quite sure I can't help you.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Dec 12 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 7 2013, 09:13 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 7 2013, 08:19 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
The article clearly states why this is being done. If you can't figure that out I'm quite sure I can't help you.

I'm quite sure you can't help me out either Tim. Why stop at a bank? Let the kids cook the lunches? Have them be janitors or perform building trades work? I'm can't imagine any of the unions opposing such work for the good of the kids. Cut the grass on the soccer & baseball fields, the list is endless why start or stop at a bank.

I wonder if a Financial Wellness class is even offered at the HS. That would be a better place to start than opening up a bank branch. You could have a semester class that teaches 30 kids how to balance a check book, compounding interest, the importance of paying down debt. Do we really think this branch is going to help do that?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 12 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 12 2013, 05:37 PM) *

I'm quite sure you can't help me out either Tim. Why stop at a bank? Let the kids cook the lunches? Have them be janitors or perform building trades work? I'm can't imagine any of the unions opposing such work for the good of the kids. Cut the grass on the soccer & baseball fields, the list is endless why start or stop at a bank.

I wonder if a Financial Wellness class is even offered at the HS. That would be a better place to start than opening up a bank branch. You could have a semester class that teaches 30 kids how to balance a check book, compounding interest, the importance of paying down debt. Do we really think this branch is going to help do that?

Why start with a bank? Why not?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 13 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Dec 12 2013, 05:37 PM) *

There are plenty of union sponsored work programs through AK Smith center.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 13 2013, 08:32 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Isn't the school faculty eligible to be members of their own credit union?

https://www.tcunet.com/home/home
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 30 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #11

They are open

http://www.portagelife.com/community/educa...nch-within-mchs
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:40 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com