Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

So what do you guys think about this?

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=13971

Bar Fight Leads To Arrests

Timothy O’Connor
For The News-Dispatch

TRAIL CREEK - Every available law enforcement officer in La Porte County was dispatched to a Trail Creek bar early Sunday to break up a fight allegedly involving dozens of patrons. The fight occurred at 2:16 a.m. in that parking lot of Decoy's Neighborhood Bar and Grill.

According to a La Porte County Sheriff's Depart-ment report, several people were yelling and throwing beer bottles at each other. The sheriff's department assisted officers from Michigan City, Trail Creek, Long Beach and the Indiana State Police in breaking up the free-for-all.

The bar's manager, Mike Gardner, said the police overreacted in their response and stated the fight was between only two women.

"I was more mad at the police than the two ladies who got into the fight," he said.

Gardner, who has owned the restaurant for four years, said this past weekend was the first time he's ever had to call the police because of trouble. He alleged that police tend to patrol the nearby parking lot because it's often full and they think the customers will start trouble.

"They're making the implication that because they're black people there's going to be problems," Gardner said.

Capt. George Ritter of the Sheriff's Department returned calls but declined to comment about the incident. He said all the information was in the report and he wouldn't respond to Gardner's remarks.

Chief Deputy James Sosinski said race has had nothing to do with the frequent visits to the bar.

"I think that's a ridiculous comment," he said.

Deputies reportedly entered the bar Sunday morning and informed patrons the establishment was closed as they kicked out customers. It took the combined units a half-hour to get the crowd under control. Deputies arrested one man inside the bar for battery while tending to a woman who was allegedly struck in the head with a beer bottle.

The bar's owner reportedly denied liability, stating the customers were no longer his responsibility after they were thrown out of the bar.

"My obligations stop at the sidewalk," Gardner said. He said the bar didn't own the parking lot, so it shouldn't be his responsibility.

Gardner said agencies have not been dispatched to the bar in the past.

Sosinski, however, reported that he had been there several times recently due to fights. He told Gardner on Sunday that because of recurring problems at the bar, other citizens were being neglected.

"(The Sheriff's Depart-ment) read me a riot act, like I was some low-life speakeasy or something," Gardner said.

Sosinski later reviewed case reports at the location. He found that since Jan. 1 there has been a laundry list that includes: 12 calls for fights in progress; three for assisting other agencies in dispersing a large crowd; two battery reports; one unwanted guest; one domestic disturbance and one intoxicated person.

Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008
Article comment by: Barry Young

OK, let's see now. The fight was only between two women, but the bar owner felt he had to call the police. That would indicate that there was more going on. Also, how many people were out in the parking lot involved or watching? Add to that most had been drinking and some may have been over served and you have a recipe for disaster. And surprisingly, after it was over, it went from two women fighting to two ladies fighting. Ladies don't fight.

Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008
Article comment by: Give me a BREAK

I'm just a little curious as to what kind of call went through to 911 that required them to dispatch "every available" officer in the county. GIVE ME A BREAK! It wasn't that serious! It was a girl fight for crying out loud! Who dispatched this non-sense?! EVERY AVAILABLE OFFICER!?!? ...and then to blame the bar for being responsible because "other citizens were being neglected"...NOT. This incident WAS NOT the bar neglecting other citizens it was SIMPLY the police/dispatch overreacting...and thus THEY, the police, NOT the bar neglected citizens by "pre-judging" aka being PREJUDICE toward the situation. Call it what you want, I was there, I saw it for myself, and it's pretty sad that officers of the county, city, and even the STATE for that matter have nothing better to do with their time than to bully, disrespect and harass the community...and yes, the black community as well! I'm white, and have been to 'white' bars (backwoods...much like this state) and have seen FAR WORSE altercations than this among the white customers and it DID NOT make the news. It wasn't a "calling all cars" situation...and by the way there were far more than 2 girls participating. Why is that? I wonder?!?! To the African American community....I apologize for the acts of these type of people, and just know that WE don't all think this way. HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL NEXT WEEKEND!

Article comment by: info person

My first question is why would it take that many police officers to break up a fight with two women who weren't even arrested?? Then the big brawl in the parking lot was totally made up. I was there and two girls were fighting and there was no beer bottles flying let alone the fact that security at the door don't allow bottles or drinks to leave the building! The officer won't make comments cause he was being very rude and shouldn't even be on the force with the attitude he had! It was a fight and things were being handled by security. This is the first incident like this and the police over reacted!

Article comment by: Beezie

I think Mike Gardner handled things very well on Sat. night. Same with security and other employees who work there who helped break up the fight and protect other patrons including me. I believe the police overreacted and a couple of the county police were flat out rude. This is the first time we've had a really big problem that had us have to get the police involved.

Article comment by: dumb and dumber

Sorry Mr. Gardner, your establishment has had a reputation for a long time of TROUBLE! You need to maybe train your staff better and take more responsibility for your establishment.You know, enough is enough, your done, time to go, last call. I will call you a cab, or, your friends can take you home, etc.. When you see trouble starting, see that they are clear of the area. What a lame and immature statement blaming the police for overreacting and being racists. I think the county case logs speak for themselves, eh? Shame on you for endangering the lives of those officers who could have truly been hurt. Also,what would have happened to the taxpayers who might have needed police assistance that evening. Those officers who were called there for backup surely weren't in their jurisdictions for that time period. If you cant handle your business with control and class and consideration for others, then maybe you shouldnt own a business at all.

Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Article comment by: pb

Why does Mr.Gardner think that he's not responsible for the people when they leave the door. If he over serves them and they hit somebody after drinking he is responsible for that. Maybe he just doesn't care which sounds like most people just turning a buck these days. Let one of his patrons hit me and i'll sue his pants off so he cares.

Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Article comment by: Duh

Who does this guy think he is??? Police do not profile anymore! Jeeesh! Mr Gardner needs to quit over serving idiots and the trouble would go away. You over served them to make a buck! I would much rather read about the police being called to eject a person refusing to leave than have to break up a big brawl. What are you doing to condone or say that it's okay to have to ladies fighting. Where I come from that is just wrong in itself and is indeed a very big deal!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post May 30 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 790

Mountain out of a mole-hill?

Signature Bar
All of the keys to joy can be reduced to these two: Laugh, but at no one's expense, and love but without expectation. Patrick McBride
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post May 30 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Beachgirl77 @ May 30 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Mountain out of a mole-hill?

I honestly don't lose too much sleep worrying that adults hanging out at bars at 1am might be getting hassled by the police... You reap what you sow.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 31 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #4

I agree with you Stumper. My view is that there was a crowd of people outside who had been inside a bar drinking.
Then there were a lot of police officers who had been on duty all night, sober.

But my issue is not really with the police or the revellers on this incident. It's with the owner of Decoy's pulling the race card to cry for injustice. Because of that, the police are now deemed racists. WTF?!?! That's crazy and he knew he would get that result. IMO it's people like him that keep racism alive!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 31 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

Before saying he played the race card, can we see if the patrons are primarily Black? And sending 'every available' cop in the county seems ridiculous. Mountain out of a molehill? Sounds about right!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 31 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #6

As for sending every available unit, this guy is on the money...

Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008
Sound Off! entry by: Pete

Bar Fight Leads To Arrests
Here's something to think about regarding this incident: A call came in to 911 for a fight at this place. What did the caller say to the dispatcher? "I'm at this bar and there are two chicks fighting in the parking lot. They're drunk so you better send a cop." Or, "I'm at this bar and there is a fight in the parking lot. There's this HUGE crowd of people out there and it looks like a free for all. Everyone is shouting and screaming stuff. You gotta come quick!" Also, I wonder how many people called 911? Was it just one person who made the call? Or perhaps there were a couple people sitting in their cars who called as well as a couple people outside in the crowd. Maybe someone driving down 20 too. I wasn't there so I don't know anything more than what I've read about, but a 911 Dispatcher sends out emergency response based on the information they are given by the caller (or callers). So, think about that before you go bashing the police for responding with all available units.

While that bar has had many owners since a bar was put in that location, (so many in fact I never can remember what the current name is), and a lot of black people do patronize that location, I would not say it is a Black Folks Bar. Many white people go there, too. Myself included, although not very often. I've only been there once since it's been Decoy's and when I was there most of the crowd was white. Granted, that was awhile ago and things change. But I still think it was a ploy by the owner to gain sympathy.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 17 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40839.65

Decoy's Site Of Another Fracas
One person subdued by electronic stun gun.

Timothy O’Connor
For The News-Dispatch

TRAIL CREEK - Area police were reportedly dispatched to the parking lot of Decoy's Neighborhood Bar and Grill early Sunday morning for a disturbance.

The incident comes two weeks after a brawl that reportedly involved several hundred patrons. At the time, the bar's manager, Mike Gardner, said police had not been dispatched to the bar in the past.

However, according to the police report, the La Porte County Sheriff's Department has been at the bar at least 18 times since Jan. 1.

This weekend's incident occurred at 2 a.m. Sunday in the bar's parking lot. A bar representative reportedly told police there were 350 people inside the building at the time.

Trail Creek police reportedly requested assistance to disperse a large group that appeared ready to fight.

About 12 to 15 squad cars from Michigan City, Trail Creek and the Indiana State Police responded, surrounding the establishment.

Decoy's was closed and police attempted to clear the parking lot.

Trail Creek officer Steve Dick struggled with one subject, Christopher Hubbart, on whom police eventually used an electronic stun gun.

Timothy O'Connor is a reporter for the La Porte Herald-Argus.

So I guess the police over reacted again? Hmmmm......

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #8

Now it seems that the police have a pattern of behavior that appears to be one of harassing the patrons and owner of Decoys!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 17 2008, 01:43 PM
Post #9

Or is it that the clientele at Decoy's is congregating in the parking lot and the local residents are calling the police? The article said they had to close the bar to clear the parking lot because there were so many people in it.

I have a bad feeling about this situation. I keep feeling like something really ugly is going to transpire in the not too distant future at this place.

Mark my words.......

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jun 17 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 17 2008, 01:27 PM) *

Now it seems that the police have a pattern of behavior that appears to be one of harassing the patrons and owner of Decoys!

You're kidding right? Please.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 23 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

was alcohol involved?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 23 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Heck, what I want to know is what's going on that's so great at Decoy's that they'll have 350 people there at 2 o'clock in the morning. Am I missing something good?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 1 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #13

Anyone know? Anyone been there?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #14

The last time I was there was shortly after it changed to Decoys. We weren't too happy with the previous establishment but thought we would check out the "new place". Not too impressive. We had dinner there and the food wasn't too bad, but we never went there to party. Last time I was home, my friends went there, but I passed and went home instead.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 1 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 1 2008, 09:58 AM) *
The last time I was there was shortly after it changed to Decoys. We weren't too happy with the previous establishment but thought we would check out the "new place". Not too impressive. We had dinner there and the food wasn't too bad, but we never went there to party. Last time I was home, my friends went there, but I passed and went home instead.

Are you talking about CLUB EXTREME? lol, man that place was destined for glory, lol.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #16

Club Extreme?!? I guess that place has had a lot of names. I was talking about the place before that I guess. I can't remember the name but it had a sports theme.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:26 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com