Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gale Neulieb City Clerk, Press Release
tonyd
post Dec 10 2010, 10:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

December 8, 2010
Amongst a crowd of over 200 friends and family Gale Neulieb, Deputy Clerk for the City of Michigan City, announced her bid to run for City Clerk of Michigan City in 2011 election cycle. Gale has worked in the Clerk’s office for more than five years and was the previous owner of Berg’s Flower Shop. She is also the secretary for the Michigan City Police and Fire Merit Commissions.
Gale is a life-long resident in the Michigan City community. She was born and raised in Michigan City and graduated from Elston Sr. High School. She is dedicated to the Michigan City Clerk’s office and sees this as opportunity to continue to serve the people of Michigan City. Gale stated, “I am very excited and thrilled at the support I have been receiving from the community. I want the citizens of Michigan City to know that I am professional, diligent and dedicated to public service.”
Current City Clerk, Thomas Fedder, is not seeking re-election after 32 years of dedicated service. Thomas Fedder said “he wishes Gale the best of luck in her bid and believes her experience and dedication will serve her well in this office.”
Also serving on her campaign committee is City Councilwoman, Angie Nelson. Angie stated, “Everyone who knows Gale understands that she is the best person for the job. She works tirelessly to ensure things get done. She does whatever it takes to make it happen. I give my full support to Gale in this endeavor.”
Anyone who would like to contact Gale or would to contribute to her campaign can reach her at Neulieb4Clerk@yahoo.com or P.O. Box 278, Michigan City, 46361.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 3 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...38143689257.txt

Clerk candidate’s residency questioned

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:08 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — A resident is questioning whether city clerk candidate Gale Neulieb meets the residency requirement to run for the office.

According to John G. Bowerman’s challenge pending before the La Porte County Election Board, Neulieb won’t have lived in Michigan City for at least a year before the November general election, as required by state law.

Neulieb’s campaign manager, Tony Drzewiecki, said Tuesday that he expects his candidate to prevail in the challenge.

“Gale has everything in order and we’re very confident that the Election Board is going to rule in her favor,” he said.

According to a copy of Bowerman’s challenge provided by Drzewiecki, Neulieb changed her voter registration to a Michigan City address last December and applied for a Homestead Property Tax Credit for a house at 11765W CR-125N in July.

Bowerman wouldn’t comment for this story, he referred questions to his attorney Alan Sirinek who said he will drop the voter registration issue at today’s hearing, but not the tax credit matter.

He said Neulieb cancelled the Homestead Tax Credit at the La Porte County auditor’s office only after the challenge was filed. Sirinek called it “too late.”

Neulieb, however, said she had simply forgotten to cancel the tax credit.

“I never thought about it,” she said.

Drzewiecki said Neulieb moved to Michigan City in August because she wanted to run for clerk, he said. She changed her voter registration address in October, but the card wasn’t issued until December.

Sirinek said he’s being paid to represent Bowerman, who, Sirinek said, is upset about alleged double standards for politicians.

One of Neulieb’s opponents, Mike Dempsey, said it’s “up to the election board,” whether Neulieb should be allowed to run.

The other, Michael Palmer, said he’s got no problem with her running.

The public meeting will be held at 4 p.m. today at the La Porte County Circuit Courthouse.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 6 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

She will stay on the ballot

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...4b072767008.txt

Board rules in favor of clerk candidate

Neulieb’s residency questioned
By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, March 3, 2011 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — City clerk candidate Gale Neulieb survived an attempt to knock her off the ballot on grounds she didn’t meet a residency requirement.

Attorney Alan Sirinek failed to persuade the La Porte County Election Board that Neulieb isn’t eligible to seek office because she didn’t cancel a homestead tax credit for a property she owns outside city limits until days after he filed an election challenge.

The three-member board unanimously voted to keep Neulieb on the ballot, deciding that by taking steps such as changing her voter registration to a Michigan City address and moving her belongings there, she had transferred her residence.

“I think she’s established her intent to live within the city limits of Michigan City,” board member Greg Hofer said. “I’m not exactly a liberal person; however, I don’t think its unusual for a person not to think to change her homestead.”

At one point, Hofer seemed to suggest Sirinek went too far when he confronted Neulieb about not understanding finances. Neulieb explained she isn’t a “tax person.”

“The people that do this are all citizen politicians,” he said. “She’s acknowledged she didn’t know she was supposed to withdraw the exemption within 60 days.”

Neulieb said she’s been living in rented housing at 2008 Wabash St. since August. She also claims to be renting out the property she owns outside city limits.

Sirinek tried to focus board members’ attentions on the tax-credit issue, not on where she was sleeping and receiving her mail.

“I know there’s a couple different ways you can interpret that, but I think for public officials, we should construe that in the single most constrictive way that we possibly can,” he said.

Neulieb claims she didn’t realize she had to cancel the exemption.

Local officials, including Common Councilwoman Pat Boy and County Councilman Earl Cunningham, testified to the board, making points bolstering Neulieb’s position.

Neulieb said after the hearing she never doubted the board would rule in her favor.

“I was very confident in what I was doing,” she said.

Sirinek, who was representing John G. Bowerman, a Michigan City resident, said he didn’t know whether he would appeal the board’s decision.

“Either she’s perpetrating a fraud on the county taxpayers as it relates to the homestead exemption, or she’s perpetrated fraud, I believe, as it relates to her eligibility for residency and to run for city clerk,” he said.

La Porte County Clerk Lynne Spevak, who also votes on the board, said the challenger can still file a lawsuit if he wants. She said absentee ballots will be ready by April 4 for the May 3 election.

Neulieb, who’s been deputy clerk for years, faces Mike Dempsey and Michael Palmer.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:18 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com