Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Visitors bureau moving to Marquette Mall
Southsider2k12
post Jul 1 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hopefully this will lead to a recovery out there. Right now Marquette Mall is a sad little shell of its former self.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=55595.3

Visitor's Bureau Moving To Marquette Mall
MICHIGAN CITY - The La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau is moving to Marquette Mall, a location considered more user-friendly for both visitors and bureau employees.

Executive Director Jack Arnett said Thursday the decision is the result of a consultant study pointing to the need for more bus parking, handicapped accessibility and additional restroom facilities.

The bureau is currently housed on Meer Road. The bureau owns the property and Arnett said the bureau plans to list it with a commercial real estate agent.

The bureau will spread out into about 15,000 square-feet at the east side mall entrance in the former Rex Appliances store near Sears. The bureau will sign a four-year lease with the mall.

"They understand what we bring to the table," Arnett said. "Our visitors and buses will generate activity at the mall."

Laura Tubbs, general manager of Marquette Mall, said having the bureau will be a plus.

"It's going to entice more stores into the mall," Tubbs said.

Arnett said the bureau envisions using the new space to host events, provide retail space for locally made goods, exhibit art and possibly partner with a compatible area attraction.

The consulting team looked at nine area locations. Arnett expects the mall space to be renovated by December.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 2 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Where will they go when the Mall is torn down in 2012?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 2 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 797

Let's do this!

"...at the east side mall entrance in the former Rex Appliances..."
which was formerly...
which was formerly...
which was formerly...
formerly....Danners

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 2 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Dan @ Jul 2 2008, 02:24 PM) *

Let's do this!

"...at the east side mall entrance in the former Rex Appliances..."
which was formerly...
which was formerly...
which was formerly...
formerly....Danners

Danners was down towards Penny's further... This was the old Walgreen's and Walgreen's restaurant.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 2 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 797

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 2 2008, 02:26 PM) *

Danners was down towards Penny's further... This was the old Walgreen's and Walgreen's restaurant.

Wait..so Danners was by the Tunnel of Fun/Food Court?

Are you sure?

argh..is my memory finally going?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 2 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dan @ Jul 2 2008, 02:34 PM) *

Wait..so Danners was by the Tunnel of Fun/Food Court?

Are you sure?

Danner's where finish line is now, except it encompassed about 3 or 4 stores in that area.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 2 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 2 2008, 02:39 PM) *

Danner's where finish line is now, except it encompassed about 3 or 4 stores in that area.

Wasn't 3D somewhere around there...or was that Danner's?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 2 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 2 2008, 02:40 PM) *

Wasn't 3D somewhere around there...or was that Danner's?

I believe that was Danner's. Now granted that was a really long time ago, and I am a young pup, I will have to defer to some of our oldie oldersters for confirmation. cool.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 2 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10

I thought Danners was closer to Carson's. Lerners was straight out from Penney's on the left side as you're walking toward Sears (IIRC that is where Finish Line is now)
I'm thinking Danner's was where that craft place is now (Was Chess King for a long time), which was right next door to Orange Julius/the Corn Dog place/a coffee shop/who knows that now. Disc records was across from that.

Tim would know! Where are you Tim?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 2 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

I was in the Mall recently, and it felt like being in the The Twilight Zone episode where all the people are gone but for one guy.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 2 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 2 2008, 03:02 PM) *

Lerners was straight out from Penney's on the left side as you're walking toward Sears.

There is a music/dvd/video game store there now.

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 2 2008, 03:02 PM) *
I'm thinking Danner's was where that craft place is now (Was Chess King for a long time), which was right next door to Orange Julius/the Corn Dog place/a coffee shop/who knows that now. Disc records was across from that.

Chess King and Orange Julius were in the Carson's hallway. I don't think there is anything where those stores once were.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Jul 2 2008, 02:43 PM
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 2 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 2 2008, 02:39 PM) *

There is a music/dvd/video game store there now.
Chess King and Orange Julius were in the Carson's hallway. I don't think there is anything where those stores once were.

I worked at Chess King--twice. The first time was in high school (I worked with Brady Krueger--anyone remember him?) and the 2nd time was right after I got out of the Navy, I was a manager there. I left and my sister took over until they closed that store. The first time I worked there next door was Orange Julius and the second time it was the Corn Dog place.

But I'm thinking Danner's was in the spot where Chess King and the hair salon went. After Danner's left, they divided the space for the two stores. Again, I could be mis-remembering.

Dad says Danner's was downtown in the square.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 2 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 2 2008, 05:32 PM) *

I worked at Chess King--twice. The first time was in high school (I worked with Brady Krueger--anyone remember him?) and the 2nd time was right after I got out of the Navy, I was a manager there. I left and my sister took over until they closed that store. The first time I worked there next door was Orange Julius and the second time it was the Corn Dog place.

But I'm thinking Danner's was in the spot where Chess King and the hair salon went. After Danner's left, they divided the space for the two stores. Again, I could be mis-remembering.

Walgreens was on the corner where Rex was and where the Tourism will be. Danners was next to the south and the Trolley Stop was next to that. Trolley Stop was Danner's Restaurant.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 2 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 2 2008, 05:32 PM) *

That name Danner's was locked away tight for me to forget. Man, is that name a blast from the past!

Brady Krueger? I knew a Brady Krueger, crazy kid who lived across the street and a little further East from Long Beach School.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 2 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

BTW,

Jason Miller is leaving the News Dispatch for the Visitor's Bureau. He has always been very cool with me and I wish him the best of luck.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 2 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 2 2008, 05:36 PM) *

That name Danner's was locked away tight for me to forget. Man, is that name a blast from the past!

Brady Krueger? I knew a Brady Krueger, crazy kid who lived across the street and a little further East from Long Beach School.

Red head?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 2 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 2 2008, 07:38 PM) *

Red head?

Ginger ph34r.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 3 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 2 2008, 06:39 PM) *

BTW,

Jason Miller is leaving the News Dispatch for the Visitor's Bureau. He has always been very cool with me and I wish him the best of luck.

Really? What will he be doing there?
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 3 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 3 2008, 09:46 AM) *

Really? What will he be doing there?

I believe he is there new Communications Director
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 20 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #20

Again, let's hope that this starts to bring some foot traffic back to Marquette Mall to start to attract new chains to the mall.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=51429.81

Visitor's center almost ready to open
Visitor’s center getting ready to open in mall

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau is making new plans, and now has enough space to make them happen.

The bureau began moving into its new 13,000-square-foot headquarters and visitors information center in Marquette Mall on Monday, right on schedule, said Jack Arnett, executive director.

Last June, the bureau negotiated a four-year lease with the mall to use space formerly occupied by the Rex Appliance store. The renovation came in under the $468,000 budget approved by the bureau's board of directors. Office manager Jan Chambers handled most of the day-to-day details in conjunction with local architectural firm dh2w.

Arnett thinks mall business will get a boost from having the visitors center in the mall, near Sears. He said the bureau focuses on bringing outside people here and making all its local partners successful.

"If the places of business are doing well, we'll fulfill our purpose," Arnett said.

On Monday, workers were putting finishing touches on overhead lighting. Most of the furnishings were not yet in place, but Arnett expects to have a grand opening in late February.

By then, he intends to transform one large blank wall into a giant map of La Porte County, with movable markers that can be used to show specific locations to visitors.

The center's large main room will have an information desk, a visitors lounge area, and an enclosed retail store where souvenirs and works by local artisans will be sold. A kiosk with phones linked to local hotels will be set up in the bureau vestibule. And, of course, racks of visitors' guides and promotional materials will be prominently displayed.

The local visitors bureau is actively participating in the Northern Indiana Tourism Development Commission, a joint effort to market the seven-county area as a getaway destination. Economic benefits can come from pooling resources to create a shared Web site that has the capacity to direct visitors to specific information about attracts in La Porte County, Arnett said.

"We can leverage our funds," Arnett said, "and also pool our thought processes by sitting around a table once a month."

One idea he gleaned from successful convention and visitors bureaus was to create a sports development program.

Jason Miller, sports development manager, is heading the bureau's effort to bring major sports events to La Porte County. Recently, the La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau was awarded the Aug. 7-9 race dates on the 2009 Super Boat International National racing schedule. The event offshore from Michigan City's Washington Park will feature some of the world's fastest, most powerful boats racing on a six-mile course. Miller compares it to the NASCAR of boating, with a built-in fan base.

Miller said sporting events are continuing to attract crowds, even with the economic downturn. With increased participation in youth sporting events, families are looking at these events as opportunities to vacation in the areas.

"As far as I'm concerned, youth sports will end up being our bread and butter," Miller said.

Chartered motor coach tours are fundamental to the bureau's business as well, and Arnett said the bureau handles about 60 scheduled tours a year.

The parking at Marquette Mall will easily handle bus traffic. It's vast improvement over the former location's driveway, where only one bus could park at a time and it was difficult for drivers to turn around, noted office manager Chambers.

The new location has much better restroom facilities in the mall than in the Meer Road house, which were frequently overtaxed when 60 people got off a bus.

The bureau's former home on Meer Road is, literally, a home that was inadequate to accommodate staff members and supplies. Arnett said the bureau rented two storage units to accommodate overflow items. The bureau sold the Meer Road property two weeks after it was listed, Arnett said, to people who wanted it for their new home.

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:07 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com