IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marquette boys basketball wins regional!!!
taxthedeer
post Mar 15 2014, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Congratulations to the Blazers on winning their first ever regional championship in boys basketball. Marquette now faces Liberty Christian (Anderson, IN) in the 1A north semi-state at either Huntington North or Lafayette Jefferson next Saturday. GO BLAZERS!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 16 2014, 08:40 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Marquette will play their semi-state game VS. Liberty Christian game at noon Michigan City time at Lafayette Jefferson High School.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 19 2014, 01:13 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

taxthedeer commentary:

I just cruised the Franklin St. and Michigan Boulevard corridor in Michigan City this afternoon. The only local business signage display recognizing or supporting the Michigan City Marquette Blazers boys basketball team winning the 1A regional or participation the Lafayette semi-state on Saturday was on the electronic marquee at the two McDonald's locations on Franklin St.

I find the apathy and lack of Michigan City business community support here for the Blazers very sad and extremely disappointing.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 19 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 19 2014, 02:13 PM) *

taxthedeer commentary:

I just cruised the Franklin St. and Michigan Boulevard corridor in Michigan City this afternoon. The only local business signage display recognizing or supporting the Michigan City Marquette Blazers boys basketball team winning the 1A regional or participation the Lafayette semi-state on Saturday was on the electronic marquee at the two McDonald's locations on Franklin St.

I find the apathy lack of Michigan City business community support here for the Blazers very sad and extremely disappointing.

More disappointing is what Coach Garletts thinks of Michigan City.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 19 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 19 2014, 03:42 PM) *

More disappointing is what Coach Garletts thinks of Michigan City.

Attached Image
Most other towns would have a sign in every window.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 19 2014, 03:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 19 2014, 04:10 PM) *

Most other towns would have a sign in every window.

Apparently it is all of us clueless people in town.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 19 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 19 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Maybe perhaps that Hoosier Hysteria isn't what it's all hyped up to be anymore.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 19 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 19 2014, 05:19 PM) *

Or we are just as smart as the coach thinks we are.
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Mar 19 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 980

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 19 2014, 04:19 PM) *

When I was at the Regional Game at the High School, The back parking lot was full. I would say that Hoosier Hysteria is still here.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 20 2014, 03:19 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(backwoods @ Mar 19 2014, 08:22 PM) *

When I was at the Regional Game at the High School, The back parking lot was full. I would say that Hoosier Hysteria is still here.
Too bad all those cars came from La Porte, Tritown, Granger and Elkhart. Hope the fans from Tri-Town and Granger enjoyed our hospitality and put some stimulus into our local economic base while they spent the day here.

Last time Michigan City competed in their own hosted regional was 10 weeks after I moved here on January 3, 1993 as Elston won the sectional but lost the day game of the Michigan City Rogers regional to North Judson. Another year went by and Elston and Rogers consolidated and the first thing Bear Falls did was kick all the boys off the team and 21 years later the only way City has been able to advance onto the regional head over to the high school gym, is buy a ticket, spend the day, sit in the upper tank and witness some other school cut down the nets in our own gym and advance to semi-state.

Nowadays the involvement of Michigan City High School in Hoosier Hysteria at the regional level is always as host and spectator and no longer a participant.

I watched both Lake Central wins as well as the Marquette day game win on TV via the internet from the comfort of my living room easy chair as I spent my $10 gate and gas money at Al's supermarket on my own food and beverage.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2014, 06:02 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 20 2014, 04:19 AM) *

Too bad all those cars came from La Porte, Tritown, Granger and Elkhart. Hope the fans from Tri-Town and Granger enjoyed our hospitality and put some stimulus into our local economic base while they spent the day here.

Last time Michigan City competed in their own hosted regional was 10 weeks after I moved here on January 3, 1993 as Elston won the sectional but lost the day game of the Michigan City Rogers regional to North Judson. Another year went by and Elston and Rogers consolidated and the first thing Bear Falls did was kick all the boys off the team and 21 years later the only way City has been able to advance onto the regional head over to the high school gym, is buy a ticket, spend the day, sit in the upper tank and witness some other school cut down the nets in our own gym and advance to semi-state.

Nowadays the involvement of Michigan City High School in Hoosier Hysteria at the regional level is always as host and spectator and no longer a participant.

I watched both Lake Central wins as well as the Marquette day game win on TV via the internet from the comfort of my living room easy chair as I spent my $10 gate and gas money at Al's supermarket on my own food and beverage.

It sure would have been nice to have Reed and Mitchell to help City get to Regionals...
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 20 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,288

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 19 2014, 04:20 PM) *

Well, what did you expect him to say? The costs of attending one of these schools is now upwards $6,000 + per year and he will say anything to drive people away from public schools toward his private school. As a coach he probably loves the Indiana voucher system as it could potentially draw a few athletes his way. This isn't the first time someone at that school or any other private school anywhere has made statements of superiority like that.

Not a reason for you to not support the success of this Michigan City team.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(outsider @ Mar 20 2014, 08:34 AM) *

Well, what did you expect him to say? The costs of attending one of these schools is now upwards $6,000 + per year and he will say anything to drive people away from public schools toward his private school. As a coach he probably loves the Indiana voucher system as it could potentially draw a few athletes his way. This isn't the first time someone at that school or any other private school anywhere has made statements of superiority like that.

Not a reason for you to not support the success of this Michigan City team.

I have a hard time supporting a group that thinks I am stupid, and they are better than me.
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 20 2014, 08:54 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 20 2014, 08:39 AM) *

I have a hard time supporting a group that thinks I am stupid, and they are better than me.

Mr. "All Things Positive Michigan City" is having a bad day.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(outsider @ Mar 20 2014, 09:54 AM) *

Mr. "All Things Positive Michigan City" is having a bad day.

You don't flat out insult a city of 30,000 and then have the nerve to ask where your support is.
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 20 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 20 2014, 10:34 AM) *

You don't flat out insult a city of 30,000 and then have the nerve to ask where your support is.

Again, almost all of the private schools have an arrogant attitude toward the towns they live in. People send their kids to private schools to protect them from sometimes perceived problems in the community at-large. It is also no different than the attitude that UND and UND alums have about the South Bend metro area.

I don't think the Chamber of Commerce or Visitors Bureau give tours to potential employers by explaining that Marquette is the "rich kids school" or that "those kids are better than the others around her." I think they use the positives about Marquette to promote the Community. Which is what I thought this website was about after your rant earlier this year regarding the squelching of negative attitudes often expressed by people in MC.

Marquette is the oldest school in MC with a long rich history. Many of Marquette's alums live in MC and LaPorte county. They are very much a part of MC.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2014, 12:42 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(outsider @ Mar 20 2014, 10:56 AM) *

Again, almost all of the private schools have an arrogant attitude toward the towns they live in. People send their kids to private schools to protect them from sometimes perceived problems in the community at-large. It is also no different than the attitude that UND and UND alums have about the South Bend metro area.

I don't think the Chamber of Commerce or Visitors Bureau give tours to potential employers by explaining that Marquette is the "rich kids school" or that "those kids are better than the others around her." I think they use the positives about Marquette to promote the Community. Which is what I thought this website was about after your rant earlier this year regarding the squelching of negative attitudes often expressed by people in MC.

Marquette is the oldest school in MC with a long rich history. Many of Marquette's alums live in MC and LaPorte county. They are very much a part of MC.

You mean negative attitudes like calling the town where you work "clueless" and stupid?

If the tourist agencies don't want that to be the attitude towards the school, they might want to talk to their head basketball coach about not calling an entire community stupid.

Meanwhile, I am going to give my support to the people and programs that aren't looking down on me as clueless and stupid. Doesn't sound like Marquette wants my support anyway.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Mar 20 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

The lack of support for Marquette is shameful but unfortunately not surprising. Those who bemoaned the change to class basketball (I admit I'm one of them) were told to get over it. There is a basketball team from Our Fair City playing - not watching, but actually playing in the Semistate Tournament and no one seems to care. I'll paraphrase an old joke that I think is pretty appropriate, IMO.

How many M.C residents does it take to change a light bulb?

Three. One to install it and two to tell you how Doug Adams would have done it.

(No disrespect meant to Coach Adams.)

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 21 2014, 06:28 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Mar 20 2014, 11:06 PM) *

The lack of support for Marquette is shameful but unfortunately not surprising. Those who bemoaned the change to class basketball (I admit I'm one of them) were told to get over it. There is a basketball team from Our Fair City playing - not watching, but actually playing in the Semistate Tournament and no one seems to care. I'll paraphrase an old joke that I think is pretty appropriate, IMO.

Class basketball is one factor. Another is that the complexion of the school is totally different than what it was even 10 to 15 years ago. The school use to be all local kids - about half were from the beach areas and the other half were from MC proper. Now I would say that less than half are from MC area. The school has dorms now. I think Marquette was losing a lot of potential students to LaLumiere so Marquette responded by becoming more like LaLumiere. They have also significantly upgraded the curriculum. Expectations for student achievement and involvement are much higher than when I was there 30 years ago.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 21 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Mar 21 2014, 12:06 AM) *

No disrespect to Doug Adams but things have changed considerably since he was coach. Under the current set of circumstances I don't believe he would have had the same success. Vouchers causing kids to leave for other schools, sectionals out of town and schools all the same size or bigger than your school. I believe he still would have been successful but no way would he have ripped off 30+ sectional titles in a row.

He cleaned up against no sectional competition for years.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com