Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Full signal needed at 400N and 950W
Southsider2k12
post Oct 13 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I agree 100%, the traffic is going to be scary through there when all of that is opened up.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40981.07

Signal needed at Woodland, 400N
In these days of financial crisis a bit of good news appeared in The News-Dispatch Wednesday. The good news was from Commissioner Hager's ad "Getting things Done, Saved Taxpayers $1 Million on the 950W and 400N Upgrade."

What I am happy about is that a small portion of this savings should go for the installation of traffic signals for the intersection of Woodland Avenue and 400 North.

When construction is done on 400 North this intersection will be one of the most dangerous crossings in this county. The biggest problem without traffic signals at this location is if a driver on Woodland wants to make a left turn onto 400 North to go east, visibility is limited to the east because of the top of a hill on 400 North. The speed limit is 40 mph and this new intersection looks to be five lanes wide, which means that a driver has to cross three lanes of traffic to make that left turn. This can be confusing if you see a vehicle signaling a right turn to Woodland Avenue ... is there another vehicle to the left of the turning vehicle that you don't see?

Traffic signals please, Commissioner Hager.

Henry Smith

Michigan City
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 13 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

What would save time, gasoline, and money, is if the traffic signal would operate during the peak traffic times (morning rush to school, afternoon rush from school, and evening from work) but operate as a stop light for Woodland Ave but just a caution light for traffic on 400N.

While we are on the subject, traffic lights should be synchronised along major traffic routes so that people obeying the speed limit would not be stopped so frequently. This saves a lot of gasoline, as traffic sitting still gets 0 mpg.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 13 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

I used to live on 525 and worked at LHP. If I drove the speed limit down the Blvd from Shirley's Amoco all the way to 6th St I would have every light green and it only took me 7 minutes to get from my driveway to my parking spot. But, I had to maintain the speed limit all the way.

It was pretty cool.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 13 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #4

And you saved gas.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Craig1971
post Oct 14 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 823

how about a light at county line and US 20

Signature Bar
Relax it is only a FISH
CO-Host of Mornings with Ric on am 1420 WIMS
Host of Into the outdoors Thursdays 7 to 9 pm on WIMS
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 14 2008, 05:58 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Craig1971 @ Oct 14 2008, 06:54 AM) *

There needs to be stop lights there and at 520 and 20 as well. They also should lower the speed limit to 45 from there to Hitchcock and to 35 from Hitchcock until after Johnson Rd.
+Quote Post
Magnolia
post Oct 14 2008, 08:22 AM
Post #7

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 825

QUOTE(Craig1971 @ Oct 14 2008, 06:54 AM) *

The Michigan City Area School Board is looking into this.

It was discussed at the September 9, 2008 Board Meeting.

And again at the September 23, 2008 Board meeting. Below is a quote from the MCAS Board Bits discussing the need for a traffic signal.

Mr. Jeff Oltmanns of Fanning & Howey explained the process that would be followed in
asking the Indiana Department of Transportation for a traffic light at the corner of Rt. 20 and
County Line Road, near the new Pine School site. MCAS could submit a request to the
INDOT Commissioner and he would begin studying the site. Local government would likely
be required to pay a portion of the cost, as well as INDOT for the state highway. He noted that
this intersection straddles both LaPorte and Porter Counties.
Mr. Kintzele noted that the truck stop under construction this intersection would have a great
impact on traffic and safety. Mr. Oltmanns said this should be noted in the request. Mr. Zeek
asked Mr. Harding to proceed with the request and to involve LaPorte and Porter County
Commissioners.
Mr. Harding asked how long it would take for a light to be installed, after INDOT’s
completion of a traffic study. Mr. Oltmanns said he did not know the timeline. Mr. Harding
noted that the intersections of Pahs and Johnson and Woodland and Pahs are concerns for the
district as well.
+Quote Post
Magnolia
post Oct 14 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 825

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 14 2008, 06:58 AM) *

There needs to be stop lights there and at 520 and 20 as well. They also should lower the speed limit to 45 from there to Hitchcock and to 35 from Hitchcock until after Johnson Rd.

The speed limit on 400 N is the following. Traveling from West to East starting at County Line Road to Hitchcock the speed limit is 40MPH, at Hitchcock the limit reduces to 30MPH to US HWY 421.

It changes another couple of times but not traveling past 421 on 400N frequetly I am not an "expert" on the limit in that area.

I do live on West 400N which is why I know the limit for this portion.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 14 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Magnolia @ Oct 14 2008, 09:28 AM) *

The speed limit on 400 N is the following. Traveling from West to East starting at County Line Road to Hitchcock the speed limit is 40MPH, at Hitchcock the limit reduces to 30MPH to US HWY 421.

It changes another couple of times but not traveling past 421 on 400N frequetly I am not an "expert" on the limit in that area.

I do live on West 400N which is why I know the limit for this portion.

Sorry, I was referring to those stretches along Highway 20.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 14 2008, 10:28 AM
Post #10

Kieffer Rd (400N west of Franklin St) is as described above.

400N east of Franklin St. (not Kieffer Rd) is 40mph west of the bridge over 94, but I think it goes to 30mph from Cleveland to Franklin. I drive on 400 every day, but I have not noticed the limit from Johnson Rd. to the bridge. I will open my eyes next time and report.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #11

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46326.89

Signal will soon be installed on Cleveland Ave.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Along with the many holiday lights, a new light will be visible at the corner of Cleveland Avenue and County Road 400 North by Dec. 12.

A traffic light is being installed at the intersection to control increased traffic on the newly redeveloped road, known locally as Kieffer Road.

The $7,000 cost of the signal is being split between Michigan City and La Porte County, since the road marks the dividing line between the two governmental entities.

Both Cleveland Avenue and 400 North are becoming major traffic arteries as property on both sides of Interstate 94 continues to develop. The recent opening of the Walmart Supercenter on Kieffer Road has lured more traffic to the road.

John Pugh, Michigan City planner, said temporary paint has been used to mark the traffic lanes, and a more permanent thermo-plastic paint will be applied in the spring. At that time, any problems with the road redevelopment will be addressed, he said.

The Michigan City Redevelopment Commission awarded a $7 million contract for the project to Rieth-Riley Construction Co. Inc., La Porte. The traffic signal was added to the total cost.

Michigan City and La Porte County are each funding half of the project. The city's portion of the project was funded through tax increment financing, while the county used Major Moves money.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:35 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com