Southsider2k12
post Mar 27 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200...27/news/n11.txt

POLITICAL NOTEBOOK
At a rally Sunday, Dave Gring, candidate for the Democratic nomination to the Fourth Ward Michigan City Council seat, said he wants to eliminate the residential sales tax in the state.

He said he intends to obtain “tens of thousands” of signatures from Michigan City residents against the tax.

“A user- or consumer-type tax is the most equitable and fairest,” Gring said.

Gring said he also wants to open Franklin Square to two-way traffic, including the downtown alleys, and suggested that Pine Street and Washington Street should also be two-way streets.

He said Fourth Ward residents need to “immediately work with the owners of the Wal-Mart and old Kmart centers to find ‘big boxes' such as Kohl's or Target to anchor their malls.”

He suggested a service road be constructed between the two centers' properties to encourage more traffic and to bring more stores to the area.

Gring also said he's in favor of large residential development in the downtown, especially for retirees and newlyweds, he said. “Also, more boat slips and up-scale housing development will benefit the economy in more business and more jobs.”

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 28 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Is there a map of the wards in the City?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 28 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #3

http://www.emichigancity.com/cityhall/council/index.htm

There is a map at that link, but it is pretty small.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 28 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 27 2007, 09:18 AM) *

"tens of thousands" of signatures? Wouldn't that be, like, every person in Michigan City?

biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 29 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

If it were every person, yes, it would be three and a quarter tens of thousands.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 29 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #6

I personally would be interested in what Mr Gring uses as a basis for his "user" or "consumer" taxes. Pretty much all of these, and the sales tax, are extremely regressive because they are based on spending habits. The only thing that makes them more progressive is if tax breaks are included somehow, and that ends up being a bigger mess than the sales tax system.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 22 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

I wonder if Mr. Gring ever intends to move to Michigan City or more importantly the ward he is running for?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 22 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 22 2007, 10:23 PM) *

I wonder if Mr. Gring ever intends to move to Michigan City or more importantly the ward he is running for?

What do you mean? His filing shows an address on US 20...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 23 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 22 2007, 10:23 PM) *

Election fraud is a pretty serious accusation, I hope you are going to provide some proof.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 23 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Yeah, if you are gonna say something, be plain about it and BACK IT UP.

+Quote Post
Informed
post Apr 23 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 60

Just an observation, but I see an obvious certain consistency and trend from this poster. Seems to be rallying unsubstantiated accusations in support of the JANKOWSKI-PRZYBYLINSKI-Boy-Baker slate of candidates…

Vote for change and strong leadership. You would at least know where Gring stands on the issues and understand his voting decisions. Pat Boy is a very nice lady but lacks strong leadership attributes and conviction based on my observations. However, she is an excellent person on the tree board, which is where her true passion seems to be.

+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 23 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 23 2007, 12:54 PM) *

Yeah, if you are gonna say something, be plain about it and BACK IT UP.

Well he seems to sleep in Trail Creek, while his address in Michigan City as refered to by another post is a house. It is behind the Club House Bar on 20. The windows have painted over and there is no water being billed to the address. But who knows maybe he does live there. The house has been used for nothing but storage for quite some time now. Then again I might be wrong.

I do not know of any connection between this and Phil Jankowski, Paul Pryzbalinski or Pat Boy. If it is true, it is wrong plain and simple. There is no justification to wrong.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 06:27 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 23 2007, 10:27 PM) *

Well he seems to sleep in Trail Creek, while his address in Michigan City as refered to by another post is a house. It is behind the Club House Bar on 20. The windows have painted over and there is no water being billed to the address. But who knows maybe he does live there. The house has been used for nothing but storage for quite some time now. Then again I might be wrong.
I do not know of any connection between this and Phil Jankowski, Paul Pryzbalinski or Pat Boy. If it is true, it is wrong plain and simple. There is no justification to wrong.

Thanks for the clarification on this issue.

I hope you didn't take it personally, but in a public setting like this, I prefer that full disclosure be made with these types of accusations. Its not like this is the usual back and forth on candidate postions being discussed here, it is a federal offense if I understand it correctly.

I would be interested in hearing some follow up, or explanation if anyone has that information.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 25 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Again, nothing personal--but if anyone is gonna accuse anyone of something, the facts need to be laid out.

Regarding the elections generally, it is true that there seems to be an anti-Oberlie & Co. feeling, but that is earned because of the way things are in the city. Who could want him to stay in office???? His slate of Council candidates are tainted by their association with him.

And I like certain people personally, like Mr McKee, but i think he is too closely associated with the Park board agenda and Oberlie for me to support him. i want more independence and a fresher face.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:36 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com