> Tax Time!, A little question about Indiana state income taxes
The_Mikester
post Mar 8 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #1

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 343

Yo!
My older daughter spent nine months of 2007 in the Great State of Indiana (she's now back in the Great State of Texas). She was a VISTA volunteer so the stipend she got was essentially less than minimum wage... All year was around 10,000 with about 8,000 being earned in Indiana. So we were doing her income taxes. She owes Uncle Sam around $110; ok so far I guess... But Indiana wants arounnd $160 and the county she was in (Marion?) wants around $60...

I thought the Indiana tax would be a fraction of the federal tax... Does this sound pretty typical?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 9 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

It all depends on how much the companies you work for will withhold. If it is too little, tell them to take out more!
+Quote Post
The_Mikester
post Mar 9 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 343

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 9 2008, 12:21 PM) *

It all depends on how much the companies you work for will withhold. If it is too little, tell them to take out more!

OK, I think I see. It must be one of the other boxes on the W-2. We don't have a state income tax here so I have never had to deal with it....
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 10 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

If she is a resident of Texas, then she can file Indiana Non-Resident taxes and shouldn't have to pay county or municipality taxes. When I moved to Wyoming, I filed Indiana Non-Resident and only had to pay the Indiana State income tax portion.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 10 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 10 2008, 10:13 AM) *

If she is a resident of Texas, then she can file Indiana Non-Resident taxes and shouldn't have to pay county or municipality taxes. When I moved to Wyoming, I filed Indiana Non-Resident and only had to pay the Indiana State income tax portion.

If she was a resident of IN at the time of working there, she technically can't claim it that way.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 10 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:24 AM) *

If she was a resident of IN at the time of working there, she technically can't claim it that way.

Actually, she can so long as she is a resident of another state at the time she files the taxes. I did. I worked in Indiana for 8 months, then moved to Wyoming. Also, if she was working in Indiana for a company that located her there on a temporary basis, she can definitely file that way. If her driver's license is from Texas, then she is a resident of Texas.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:01 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com