Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=38891.12

Almost buttoned back up

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - "It's almost done."

John Pugh, Michigan City planning director, was talking about the expected completion of County Road 400 North, also called Kieffer Road, in the next 10 days. The road is becoming a major artery at the city's south end, and marks the boundary line between the city and county.

"I think they just have a little work to do on the final surface paving," Pugh said. He added that the completion is well ahead of the scheduled March 2009 date.

Although Pugh characterized it as a big project, he said it was done with minimum disruption to drivers, and the road was never completely closed.

A traffic signal will be added at the corner of Cleveland Avenue and County 400 North soon after the road is completed. The signal is needed because of increased traffic on the city's south side, where a Wal-Mart Supercenter and other retail and medical establishments have sprung up.

City and county officials agreed to split the $7,000 signal cost, as well as the nearly $7 million cost of widening Kieffer Road. The contract was awarded to Reith-Riley Construction Co. Inc., in August 2007. Before work could get underway, rights-of-way had to be acquired along the road.

"It took awhile to get started but, once Reith-Riley started, they had good weather," Pugh said. "That's always a factor."

The project also included the installation of sewer and water lines on County Road 400 North.

Michigan City's portion of the project is being funded through $4.5 million in tax increment financing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 10 2008, 10:47 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Shibboleth/sibboleth!

Can we tell people from around here by whether they refer to 400N east of Franklin Street as "400N" or "Kieffer Rd."?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 10 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 10 2008, 10:47 AM) *

Shibboleth/sibboleth!

Can we tell people from around here by whether they refer to 400N east of Franklin Street as "400N" or "Kieffer Rd."?

Not really. I'm from here and I call it by all 3 of it's names nearly every time I mention it. (Schultz Rd/ 400N/Kieffer Rd).
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 10 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 10 2008, 11:47 AM) *

Shibboleth/sibboleth!

Sure. Those of us who live in the county call it 400N. Those "city folks" call it Kieffer Road.

I live on 400N in LaPorte County. So we call it by our address 11856 West "400 North".

I will be glad when this project is complete *SIGH*.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 10 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

Schultz Road always refers to the part of 400 in Springfield Twp. Kieffer Road is the part of 400 west of Franklin Street. The part in Coolspring Twp. to Franklin Street is called 400N.

I agree with how good it will be when the project is finished. However, it will alway be incomplete without bike- and hike paths and space. Their exclusion is grossly negligent.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:31 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com