IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Grocery Store Poll, Where do you buy your food in Michigan City?
What's your favorite grocery store in town?
Several to choose from
Wal-Mart [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Meijer [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Jewel [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Valueland [ 4 ] ** [28.57%]
K&M [ 1 ] ** [7.14%]
Petti's [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Eastside Produce [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Save-A-Lot [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Aldi [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
We buy groceries out of town [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
We look for the best value [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
Other [ 2 ] ** [14.29%]
Total Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
taxthedeer
post Jul 31 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Take the grocery store poll
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 18)
Southsider2k12
post Jul 31 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Al's/Valueland is my favorite. The Pontius family has been great to Michigan City for a long time now.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 31 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jul 31 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Al's/Valueland is my favorite. The Pontius family has been great to Michigan City for a long time now.

I agree--they're my favorite as well. The amount of community support they offer is amazing for the size of their company.

Wonder why they were left ot of the poll...?

EDIT: They're listed as Valueland, and I was looking for Al's (since they're now all Al's stores...not V-land). Oops...I marked other.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Jul 31 2009, 10:09 AM
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 31 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 31 2009, 11:05 AM) *

I agree--they're my favorite as well. The amount of community support they offer is amazing for the size of their company.

EDIT: They're listed as Valueland, and I was looking for Al's (since they're now all Al's stores...not V-land). Oops...I marked other.

I fixed it for you.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 31 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Al's and Valueland are one and the same,

www.alssupermarket.com

I listed them in noparticular order
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 1 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 31 2009, 11:24 AM) *

Al's and Valueland are one and the same,

www.alssupermarket.com

I listed them in noparticular order

I'm well aware of that (they also own Barney's in New Buffalo, FWIW). I was just looking for Al's, not Valueland. My mistake...glad I caught it, too.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Aug 1 2009, 08:26 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

Are you being a bit biased?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 1 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Aug 1 2009, 09:26 AM) *

Are you being a bit biased?

Absolutely! wink.gif
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Aug 1 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 1 2009, 12:58 PM) *

Absolutely! wink.gif

Good
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 7 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I go different places. For convience sake and to help local business, I shop often at Al's. The produce is OK. The best produce in town, hands down is Meijer's. The best meat counter in LaPorte County is East Side Produce. The best produce in town comes from my garden. smile.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 28 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10

I've been doing some shopping at various stores to check them out. After having been gone for four years I see a lot has changed. I haven't quite picked a favorite yet, and there are many stores I still haven't shopped. Here is what I've got so far:

LaPorte:

Wal-Mart: Not a good place to buy groceries. The prices are fair but the fresh food is worthless. The selections are poor and it is not all that "fresh" IMO.

Al's West: Great store! The people are helpful and there is always someone around to help you find something. They will even walk with you from one side of the store to the other to make sure you find it. The valuecard is truly a value card as well.

Aldi: Not too bad. The fresh fruit was really fresh and very tasty. The canned goods prices have gone up a little since I was here last (there is no Aldi in Wyoming) but are still fair. It was clean and the people were friendly. I don't recommend buying the meat, but otherwise I like it.

Michigan City:

Meijer: One word - UGH!

Wal-Mart: Similar to the one in LaPorte. Basically, it's really nothing special. If I have to buy typical Wal-Mart stuff and I need an item or two of food I will get it from Wal-Mart, but for grocery shopping it's not my store of choice.

Al's on Franklin: Hasn't changed much since I left. Looks like they jazzed up the appearance a little, but otherwise it's the same Ol' Al's. Which is great because that was a good store to begin with.

That's it for now.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 28 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 28 2009, 09:43 AM) *

Meijer: One word - UGH!

You must not like the store or something because they have, without doubt the best produce section around.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 28 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 28 2009, 12:24 PM) *

You must not like the store or something because they have, without doubt the best produce section around.

Everytime I go in that place I leave irritated and frustrated. It's not any one thing but a combination of things every single time, so I just don't go there anymore.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Sep 1 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 945

I also clicked "other" because I was not aware Al's was Valueland. I just moved here ph34r.gif

Al's is my favorite place because their bread is a-maz-ing and I save lots of money with their sales. I love Meijer too, though.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 2 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

ND reporter first off, welcome to the area. If you're talking about good bread at Al's I can only assume that you're talking about the La Briola bread they have, the stuff in the brown and red packaging. Yup, it's pretty damn good, ins't it? smile.gif I think the La Brea (named after the tar pits in CA) bread that Jewel bakes off is probably slightly better but I don't really like anything else at Jewel, especially the one in M.C. The Jewel in Chesterton is pretty nice though.
For the best meat counter, hope on highway 20 and head EAST, go toward highway 35, past 35 on the right hand side you'll see a little market, East Side Produce. That's the best meat counter around IMO.

Again, welcome to the area. smile.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Sep 4 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Sep 2 2009, 09:10 AM) *

ND reporter first off, welcome to the area. If you're talking about good bread at Al's I can only assume that you're talking about the La Briola bread they have, the stuff in the brown and red packaging. Yup, it's pretty damn good, ins't it? smile.gif I think the La Brea (named after the tar pits in CA) bread that Jewel bakes off is probably slightly better but I don't really like anything else at Jewel, especially the one in M.C. The Jewel in Chesterton is pretty nice though.
For the best meat counter, hope on highway 20 and head EAST, go toward highway 35, past 35 on the right hand side you'll see a little market, East Side Produce. That's the best meat counter around IMO.

Again, welcome to the area. smile.gif

Thank you!

They make their own garlic bread and pita chips at Al's, and they're superyummy. It very well may be the La Briola bread. Whatever it is, it's magic.

I will have to check out East Side Produce, although I hardly buy any substantial amount of fresh meat. I usually stick to frozen pizzas and meals, and chicken nuggets, outside of PB&J sandwiches and the occasional fast food....my tastes are a little juvenile, I know. Cooking for one can get annoying!

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 17 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

I went into Meijer this afternoon to get a gallon of milk and my favorite take to the game snack (chocolate covered turtles) for tommorow night. The whole place was decked out in Colts advertising, parking lot, grocery aisles, even the bag carasoles at the end of the checkout lane, made me want to scream out loud and go someplace else, I'M A BEARS FAN!!!
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Sep 17 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 17 2009, 10:33 PM) *

I went into Meijer this afternoon to get a gallon of milk and my favorite game snack (chocolate covered turtles) for tommorow night. The whole place was decked out in Colts advertising, parking lot, aisles, even the bag carasoles at the end of the checkout aisle, made me want to scream and go someplace else, I'M A BEARS FAN!!!

I'm always amazed by stuff like that. Yes, I know we're in Indiana. But this area is at least 80 percent Bears over Colts. At least.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 17 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 17 2009, 10:40 PM) *

I'm always amazed by stuff like that. Yes, I know we're in Indiana. But this area is at least 80 percent Bears over Colts. At least.
Appearently somebody got the wrong memo, I mean, what kind of allegiance would Meijer have with the Colts anyways? Meijer is based out of Grand Rapids for crying out loud. Maybe they're too ashamed to be associated with the Lions? I'm confused, A Michigan corporation promoting an Indianapolis team in the Chicago market, that's messed up.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:18 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com