Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Race Relations
FormerCityzen
post Sep 8 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 951

Are race relations in Michigan City good or bad? Are too many people in Michigan City too preoccupied with race in the sense that they make racial issues out of non-racial issues?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 9 2009, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

What?
+Quote Post
southyards
post Sep 9 2009, 03:37 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

Ditto
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 9 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I understand that question, and my answer would be "Sometimes" I have seen in certain situations where race is made the issue when it started out totally unrelated to anything racial. And "pulling the race card" has been done not just by one particular race, but all races at one time or another. It's even happened at CBTL - I am sad to say.

I don't think it happens often, and it hasn't happened lately that I know of, but it has happened and personally, I think it's sad and ignorant. We're all people no matter what color our skin. Overall I don't think race relations are bad in MC, there are just a few idiots here and there--but you'll have that no matter where you go.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CSchwanke
post Sep 10 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 944

I would like to comment on this. First, it is sad that this even has to come up. I deal with several races of people on a daily basis and have many friends from around the world that have settled in Michigan City. I believe that all people SHOULD be judged on character and their actions. I tend to trust everyone untill they give me a reason not to. Race should have nothing to do with it!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 12 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(FormerCityzen @ Sep 8 2009, 03:36 PM) *

Are race relations in Michigan City good or bad? Are too many people in Michigan City too preoccupied with race in the sense that they make racial issues out of non-racial issues?

How are race relations in your new digs?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 14 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(FormerCityzen @ Sep 8 2009, 03:36 PM) *

I don't know that I would classify race relations as good or bad, but maybe more along the lines of mature or immature... and Michigan City race relations are maturing. The city is diverse and neighborhoods are becoming more and more integrated. There will be incidents and instigators, but I sure don't feel that there is prevailing preoccupation with race.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 14 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 14 2009, 10:30 AM) *

I don't know that I would classify race relations as good or bad, but maybe more along the lines of mature or immature... and Michigan City race relations are maturing. The city is diverse and neighborhoods are becoming more and more integrated. There will be incidents and instigators, but I sure don't feel that there is prevailing preoccupation with race.

I've noticed that since I've been back. Neighborhoods I've thought of as "black" have a lot of white people in them and ones I've thought of as "white" have more blacks there. I think it's good that people aren't "restricted" to a certain part of town anymore because of the color of their skin.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
FormerCityzen
post Sep 15 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 951

In the 1960s, I argued that race relations in Michigan City would not improve until Michigan City's neighborhoods became integrated. Perhaps I was right.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 15 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(FormerCityzen @ Sep 15 2009, 03:06 PM) *

In the 1960s, I argued that race relations in Michigan City would not improve until Michigan City's neighborhoods became integrated. Perhaps I was right.

1960's?...Man, you must be one old cat. Back in the day, Did you ever think that a man like Barack Obama would ever become President?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 15 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Sep 15 2009, 06:04 PM) *

1960's?...Man, you must be one old cat. Back in the day, Did you ever think that a man like Barack Obama would ever become President?

Hey! I was born in the 60's. It's not that long ago, so lay-off the "old" thing! wink.gif wink.gif
laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 16 2009, 05:59 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(FormerCityzen @ Sep 15 2009, 03:06 PM) *

You have GOT to be kidding. Race relations are vastly improved in MC when compared to the 60's. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see anyone on either side of the color line racing to integrate neighborhoods. Regarding your original post -

" Are too many people in Michigan City too preoccupied with race in the sense that they make racial issues out of non-racial issues?"

You seem to be doing just that, while no one else is.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com